11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
This might be obvious for some.
I need to assign a button to a VST paramater, and not a knob.
For example an ON/OFF switch within a VST instrument or effect.
I cannot find any way to do this.
It looks like I can only assign those buttons to Studio One commands.
What am I missing?
Thank you
by reggie1979beatz on Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:41 am
I can't figure it out right now either. Question: Right clicking on the user/page 5/not assigned on the screen gives an option to "assign" a command. Errr, which command is that?

Bye......:roll:
by SwitchBack on Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:48 pm
Does this help?
by guillaumerivalle on Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:36 pm
Thank you for the answers.
No this does not really help because I knew I could assign commands on these buttons.
What I am after is the ability to assign instrument features/buttons/toggles to these user buttons.
I am surprised we can only use knobs. Surely we can assign things that can act as switches, right?
by reggie1979beatz on Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:56 pm
Hang tight dude, I may be on to something.

QUESTION: Is that just getting "button" from like the user group for a parameter? If so, I'm getting something.

by guillaumerivalle on Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:01 pm
I am not sure I understand how you phrased it.
But basically my problem is that so far I can only assign KNOBS to certain parameters of VST instruments.
Some instruments (in fact many instruments) have buttons, or switches. Basically things you activate or deactivate by a simple click. Like an ON/OFF type of thing.
I want to assign Atom SQ buttons to these,
I thought I could do it with user buttons but it seems I cannot.
But i must have missed something.
Thank you
by reggie1979beatz on Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:26 pm
No, you are right. As it seems that if you do not create an additional "mixer control" for the SQ, I cannot change the knobs to buttons.

Here is what I just did, sorry if this doesn't make sense, but it's working here:

-Open options/external devices/"add" new mixer control. Assign the "receive from" to the SQ, name it something like "My basic SQ control" or whatever. Don't worry about the warning, just click ok/yes, whatever it is.
-Then, in the control link of Studio One, get the window open for that new mixer control (double click? Sometimes I feel it's fiddly)
-Go to one of the "user" options under user on the SQ controller. They'll say "not assigned" It's 5-8 on my unit as far as the option you have with the pages.
-On that "user" page you are on, there will be nothing on that S1 display. Click "midi learn" and select the button on the SQ you want to assign.
-You'll see a knob, BUT, you can change that. Where it now says "CC" and a number, click on that with the mouse and you have more options :) Select the button "press/release", unclick "midi learn" and then you can do what you normally do with assigning a controller.......WHEW! What a mess!

EDIT! I guess you need "press/release" for it to toggle on and off. I'm not sure what "on/off" is for.......MUCH research needed.

My my, I'm trying my best, not sure if anyone can follow :hunf:

by guillaumerivalle on Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:23 pm
Wow thank you, it does indeed work in some way.
I did what you suggested.
I now have an additional device called "trigger buttons". I only used the page number 5 and created 6 on/off buttons with midi Learn.
I then assigned them to certain buttons on Serato Sample (3rd party vst) and it worked, even after I shifted the control back to ATOM SQ !
So the buttons definitely work now, the way I wanted!

However, for some reason, S1 does not remember the assignments, the next time I open a song and the same VST. My 6 buttons are in the device, but I need to assign them again (with the little left arrow) to the right paramater.

It is not perfect but a hell of a progress!
Thank you!

(I still do not understand why there is not a better way to assign those buttons)
by reggie1979beatz on Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:06 pm
One thing I do remember is that "track presets" will not work with that, however, saving a project seems to.

I'll fiddle some more. I'm really curious to get this working the correct way.

by BobF on Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:14 pm
Good work reggie

guillaumerivalle wroteHowever, for some reason, S1 does not remember the assignments, the next time I open a song and the same VST. My 6 buttons are in the device, but I need to assign them again (with the little left arrow) to the right paramater.

After making the assignments try saving a preset in/for the plugin itself. Perhaps the preset will store the assignments way AmpliTube does.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by reggie1979beatz on Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:44 am
What I don't understand is why you can't simply have the SQ have the "user" stuff not be able to change to buttons/faders from knobs. :hunf:

I think I'll do a ticket, and just see what they say. Either I'm doing something wrong, or it's kinda a big oversight.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1