Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Is it possible to increase the time signature size without increasing the staff size?
by michaelmyers1 on Wed May 01, 2024 8:35 pm
I believe the time signature size is fixed.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by damoclessisyphus on Wed May 01, 2024 8:43 pm
Thanks. I think so too……
by michaelmyers1 on Wed May 01, 2024 8:45 pm
This is a long-standing feature request.

iMac (Retina 5K 27", 2019) 3.6 ghz I9 8-core 64 gb RAM Fusion Drive
with small AOC monitor for additional display
macOS Sonoma 14.4
2 - 500 gb + 2 - 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
M Audio AirHub audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Notion 6/Notion Mobile + Studio One 6 Pro

http://www.tensivity.com
by damoclessisyphus on Wed May 01, 2024 9:01 pm
Exactly.
by acequantum on Wed May 01, 2024 9:57 pm
I don't see any options for it.
by damoclessisyphus on Thu May 02, 2024 12:25 am
That's true.
by Surf.Whammy on Sat May 04, 2024 7:09 am
There is a way to do this, but it's awkward . . . :ugeek:

THOUGHTS

This is a typesetting activity and for the most part has nothing to do with composing, performing, and preparing standard printed sheet music . . .

If you want to do elaborate typesetting, then NOTION is not the application to use . . .

Nevertheless, there is a way to use a custom time signature, but as observed it is awkward at best . . .

(1) You can hide a standard NOTION-supplied time signature.

(2) You can create two Text fields, each with a number and then stack them so one is the top number of a time signature and the other one is the bottom number where the numbers can be 22 points or perhaps a bit larger, as shown in the following image.

[NOTE: The actual NOTION-supplied time signatures for the larger time signatures are hidden, one at a time, so you do not see them. Then the two Text fields are created and stacked. Specifically, one Text field has the numerator, and the other Text field has the denominator. These numbers are 22 points. This is done entirely within NOTION, so no other applications are used to do it . . . ]

It's awkward, because doing the "stacked Text fields" technique does not allow NOTION to do automagical layout spacing, so the stacked time signature must fit in the allowed space, although a tiny bit more space can be created by adjusting the layout handles . . .

SUMMARY

Doing things like this are typesetting activities--things a printer like Benjamin Franklin did two or three centuries ago and something a graphic designer does now--but NOTION is not suited for this . . .

NOTION is designed for composing, printing sheet music in a useful but not elaborate way, and performing . . .

NOTION is not a typesetting application . . .

DORICO ~ ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR

You might be able to do this with Dorico Pro (Steinberg), and you can try it for free for 60 days to determine how much control it provides for typesetting . . .

I downloaded and installed the trial version of Dorico Pro 5 and experimented with it for about 15 minutes but did not find an easy way to edit the visual image and size of a time signature; and based on this, I like the idea of using Adobe Illustrator or some other non-music typesetting application to add custom-designed time signatures on top of a NOTION score for which you hide all the NOTION-supplied time signatures; and I can see this working in one way or another, since I can do this with Graphic for Mac, which is a very simple and useful drawing application for the Mac . . .

Since you asked about using Adobe Illustrator to create a custom Time Signature, I am presuming you know about typesetting, since Adobe Illustrator is one way to do typesetting and graphic design going back at least two decades, if not longer . . .

I used Adobe Illustrator on a few projects, but do not have it currently on my Apple iMac; and now that Adobe has switched to subscription mode, I do not have a subscription for it . . .

Nevertheless one idea comes to mind, and it's based on being able to hide time signatures in NOTION . . .

You should be able to "print" a NOTION score without any of the time signatures being visible; and you should be able to devise a way to get the resulting sheet music into Adobe Illustrator, where you can do some typesetting and add your custom-designed time signature on top of the printed NOTION score, or perhaps more correctly on the image of the sheet music from NOTION . . .

This is similar to the way I created custom time signatures using two stacked Text fields in NOTION (see above) . . .

If I need to do that, I probably would use Graphic on the Mac, which is a simple drawing program . . .

[NOTE: This is created by doing some image editing in Preview; saving various clipped images to separate files; and then importing them to Graphic for Mac and doing some repositioning. It's not perfectly aligned, but it's just an experiment, hence so what. If I were doing this for a book, then I would do it more precisely, and if necessary I could get a subscription for Adobe Illustrator or perhaps Adobe Photoshop. On the other hand, I have a friend who does graphic design and has all the Adobe products; so I could get him to help . . . ]

It would be a bit of work, but for something like a book it might be productive . . .

For books, I use Apple Pages; but while I can import or add an image to a Pages document, I don't think it's easy to work with an image in Pages in layers; hence, it's probably easier in a drawing application like Graphic for Mac, Adobe Illustrator, or one of the other typesetting applications, which as a group range from (a) simple and easy to use to (b) more complex than designing and building a working fusion reactor . . .

[NOTE: For graphic typesetting, if the application requires a User Guide more than a few pages, then it's too complex for me. When I was working on a Windows computer, I used something which as I recall was Microsoft Draw and was the most simple drawing application in the known universe. Now I use Graphic for Mac, and it's equally simple, although a little bit more capable than the simple drawing application for Windows. It takes some experimenting, but over the years I have developed a set of steps that let me do all sorts of otherwise complex image manipulations easily without needing to read thousands of pages of application documentation. For reference, I used stacked Text fields in Graphic for Mac, too, since this is the best and perhaps only way to get the vertical spacing correct. As an analogy, metaphor, or simile, the general strategy is to approach creating a custom image as a matter of using a set of Post-Its and putting them in specific locations like doing a collage, where one Post-Its might be an image of the printed music notation from NOTION but with all the time signatures hidden; and more Post-Its can be blank measures to get sources for staff lines; Text fields to create large numbers; and so forth . . . ]

The general strategy for this type of typesetting is to work with images, where one set of images will be the music notation from NOTION but without time signatures being visible; and then to get the images into an application like Adobe Illustrator, where the sheet music images from NOTION are a layer on top of which you can add your custom time signatures designed in Adobe Illustrator . . .

It might be Utopian to imagine this can be done in one application; but in practice it's a custom typesetting activity where you want more control than music notation applications provide, hence the need to do it with a proper typesetting application rather than with NOTION, Dorico, or any other music notation application, since none of the music notation applications appear to allow this much intimate control over the typesetting of a time signature . . .

For example, you might want a large time signature in red, perhaps for a section in a book on music notation or composing where you need to highlight or otherwise emphasize the time signature . . .

This certainly can be done (see the example, above), but I think it's a typesetting activity rather than something NOTION can do . . .

Lots of FUN! :reading:

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by damoclessisyphus on Sat May 04, 2024 7:57 am
Thank you for your detailed reply.
by acequantum on Sat May 04, 2024 10:15 pm
I was about to post something similar in that you could use two text boxes. Another option along the same lines is to use a font that has time signatures embedded in it. The same idea as using a text box applies: you hide the actual time signature from notion, then use the music font with the desired time signature in a text box and adjust the point size.

Check out this thread of a similar process for different types of accidentals not included in notion

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?p=294184#p294184

Notion bravura timesig.jpg
by damoclessisyphus on Sun May 05, 2024 3:02 am
Thanks.

And, I tried it myself, and when I converted the Notion file to PDF and opened it with PDF editing software, I could drag and enlarge the time signature. This is also one method.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1