Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
24 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
I made a YouTube video showing how to send a kick drum pattern played with fingertips on the Roland SPD::ONE Electro drum pad from Studio One Professional 6.6 to NOTION 6.8.2 on the Mac . . . :)

THOUGHTS

This is very easy to do once you discover how to configure the Roland SPD::ONE Electro drum pad and Studio One Professional 6.6, which I did over the past week working on making sense of everything for perhaps 100 or so hours . . . :roll:

As you might know, I compose and record old-time science fiction radio plays and occasional songs; and until now I have done the drums with VSTi virtual instruments and music notation in Studio One, mostly with Addictive Drums 2 (XLN Audio) and MODO DRUM (IK Multimedia), which works nicely but can be a bit robotic at times since it's done with music notation on an Apple 27" iMac (Late 2013) running macOS Catalina--an indisputable testament to doing digital music production with current software running on a 10 year-old Apple computer running an operating system (macOS Catalina) from 2019 . . .

The computer and its operating system are old, but everything else is new, including the Roland SPD::ONE Electro drum pad that I purchased this week, although technically the SPD::ONE was released by Roland in 2017 or thereabout . . .

After sleeping a while, I awoke and had the epiphany that since I have been playing drumkit patterns with my fingertips for seven or so decades--often to the great annoyance of anyone within earshot--I can do this with the Roland SPD::ONE Electro drum pad as a skilled percussionist or as I like to imagine "Lars Ulrich from Metallica" . . . :+1

I also like to play unopened soda pop cans, which if you hold them at the top and bottom edges make outer space and 1980s Disco tom-tom sounds when you hit the side of the soda pop can briskly and then quickly rotate it to do a variation of a Doppler effect--something I like to do when riding in an elevator, ideally packed with people, since it's a captive audience and all they can do it protest . . . :P

[Whispered conversation overheard on an elevator]

ELEVATOR RIDER #1: OMG, it's that fellow from the 13th floor who makes strange sounds with a soda pop can. On the good side, at least he doesn't do it to accompany himself releasing melodic flatulence.

ELEVATOR RIDER #2: I wouldn't be so certain, at least not on Hawaiian Shirt Friday.

The Roland SPD::ONE Electro drum pad plays one monotone MIDI Note in series (MIDI Channel 10, C3); so doing an entire drumkit this way with fingertips requires doing it in layers where each layer is a specific drum, cymbal, or Latin percussion VSTi virtual instrument; but then doing it with music notation requires doing it one staff and VSTi virtual instrument at a time; so it's actually less work than more work, and I think it will sound more human and real but less robotic . . .

This is the YouTube video:

phpBB [video]

I plan to do a matching set of YouTube videos to show how to use the Roland SPD::ONE Electro drum pad with Studio One Professional 6.6 on an HP Envy computer running the current version of Windows 11 Pro, Studio One, and NOTION . . .

It's basically the same as doing it on an Apple computer, but there might be a few tiny but important differences on the HP Envy computer . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by Surf.Whammy on Tue May 07, 2024 10:52 pm
I did an experiment to determine how well the Roland SPD::ONE Electro drum pad works when used in Studio One as a MIDI Drum, and it was too slow . . . :cry:

THOUGHTS

I am doing everything at present on an Apple 27" iMac (Late 2013) running macOS Catalina and the current versions of everything except Kontakt 7 (Native Instruments) which requires a newer Apple computer and newer version of macOS . . .

The Roland SPD::ONE Electro drum pad is too slow on this machine, so it is not useable . . .

It works, but it's too slow and the lag time between tapping and hearing a drum sound is too long to be useful . . .

Whether this occurs on a faster machine is not something I know at present, although I should be able to determine how it works when I do the experiments on the HP Envy laptop running Windows 11 Pro, since it's a new computer from 2022 or thereabout . . .

On the older Apple computer, I think the best strategy is to use a microphone to record a rubber or vinyl pad being played by a real pair of drumsticks in Studio One and to use Melodyne to clean-up the recorded audio, which then can be quantized and edited to shift the resulting audio to desired pitches or notes . . .

That should be sufficiently fast to be useful . . .

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Wed May 08, 2024 7:03 am
This is the information for using Roland SPD::ONE drum pad as MIDI device for Studio One Professional 6.6 in Windows 11 Pro . . . :)

THOUGHTS

I am doing a YouTube video showing the Roland SPD::ONE Electro drum pad playing a MODO DRUM kick drum (IK Multimedia) as soon as I can discover how to do it on a Windows machine . . . :roll:

The detailed information when the MIDI device items are edited are the same as for the Mac and are shown in my previous post to this topic . . .

These are the key images:

This is the YouTube video of the result of using the Roland SPD::ONE Electro drum pad in Studio One running on a HP Envy Windows 11 Pro machine:

phpBB [video]

The Surf Whammys

by Surf.Whammy on Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am
I like MODO DRUM (IK Multimedia) and its MIDI mapping for drumkits . . . :reading:

THOUGHTS

MIDI DRUM has a MIDI mapping pane or page for each drumkit it provides, and this is very nice for using the Roland SPD::ONE Electro drum pad in Studio One . . .

As shown in the image, I was able to set the Kick Drum to be triggered by C3 notes sent from the SPD::ONE . . .

[NOTE: In the US, "Middle C" is C4 in scientific pitch notation, and we won the Second World War, but so what. IK Multimedia is an Italian company, so naturally they think MIDI NOTE 60 is "Middle C" and is "C3" in scientific pitch notation, which is spanky . . . :P ]

It works on the Mac and Windows, but it requires an Intel processor that supports Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX, also known as Sandy Bridge New Extensions), except it runs natively on Apple’s M1 processors . . .

phpBB [video]

It's a personal favorite, along with Addictive Drums 2 (XLN Audio) . . .

The Surf Whammys

24 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2