Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
5 posts
Page 1 of 1
About six months ago I gave up on Notion. I waited and waited for Notion 7 and eventually I had to face up to facts. It was not going to happen. I briefly tried the desktop version of their new 'Notion Mobile' app on my Mac but it was all too confusing and why was I using a mobile app on my desktop anyway?? I didn't have a clue where they were going. Not helped by Presonus's inscrutable and vague communications.

So I left (after 16 years of using Notion!) and went over to Musescore and their new version 4. I converted ALL my files into Musescore via mxml which took days and days, and I left Notion for good.

For a while it was all OK. Musescore seemed fine, lots of updates and communication, but wow did I miss Notion's two outstanding features: immediacy and its brilliant ability to be used for composition by keeping you in the flow.

Fast forward to now (this week) and I gave Notion Mobile another go after listening to one of Chris S's podcasts and...I LOVE it! Version 3.3 has now got to a mature stage and as a long time Notion user it's like coming home. Quite emotional actually.

I had to completely let go before I could embrace Notion Mobile and I am really liking it. It has all of the unique characteristics that made Notion so wonderful. In fact opening old scores in Notion Mobile is perfect.

And it feels alive again! It get's updates! There are plans for the future.

I know many people know all this already. This post is more for people who are waiting for Notion 7 and are angry, like I was...It's not going to happen, but the way forward is Notion Mobile and it's good!
Last edited by aduki on Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
by shanecoombs on Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:36 pm
What value is there for Notion mobile for those of us (I'd think this is a large number) who use VSTs with Notion?
by aduki on Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:12 am
shanecoombs wroteWhat value is there for Notion mobile for those of us (I'd think this is a large number) who use VSTs with Notion?

Ah yes, I was going to discuss that in my original post. I had to accept that the stock Notion sounds was the the only option.

But for me that’s where I had ended up over the years anyway. I spent some time writing rules and using VSL libraries but in the end it was way too fiddly. Notion’s power is in its ‘turn it on, select instruments and go write’ factor. Realism through vst’s was not something Notion excelled at as it had no useful midi sequencing tools. Dorico is the one for thiat.
So I joined Sphere and got their full package of sounds and that really worked.

And now Notion Mobile includes all those sounds on desktop for a small fee so that’s a bonus.

But yes, I take your point, Notion Mobile is never going to be for plugins and Presonus will loose customers eventually.
by davidlarson6 on Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:10 pm
I started with the original (pre-Presonus) Notion on iPad, and moved to the desktop version when that became too confining. For quite a while I worked with the combination of Notion and Studio One, which is fine for mockups.

But I need better notation software for the full orchestral work I'm doing now, so the answer was Dorico with Noteperformer. And Dorico has a mobile version, too, so there's that.

So, if the mobile version of Notion works for you, it's all good.

DKLarson

Windows 10, i9, 64GB, 3X 1TB SSDs; Macbook Pro M1 Pro, 32GB, 1TB SSD
Audient iD14, Atom SQ, Keystep 37, Studiologic SL88, Moog Sub Phatty, Kawai MP11SE, Roli Seaboard.
by herbievantetering on Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:57 pm
Yes, I totally agree, but I don't agree with Notion Mobile being the way forward.

The Notion development method Presonus uses is called 'dark patterns' and 'digital handcuffs' marketing.

The idea behind this is to make the user dependant on software (or hardware) with some features but constrain the user in freedom (digital handcuffs) and then apply marketing and advertising which promises the user the freedom (and their privacy) if they purchase a new version and use it on their mobile device.

https://levelupconsult.com/insights/und ... -patterns/

In Presonus' case, the following 'dark patterns' combined with the mobile only 'digital handcuffs' are used:

Roach Motel
As the name implies, this design feature makes it easy for the user to get in, but it is almost impossible to get out. A Presonus Studio One + (Plus) subscription may be easy to sign up for, but the cancellation link may be hidden deep within the website.

Hidden Costs
Important information, such as fees for Notion instruments or activation per device, is hidden until the user is finished selecting and finalizing the product he or she wishes to purchase. The Notion Mobile purchase is then locked to the device, limiting the user's choice of operating system.

Forced Continuity
A user is required to enter credit card information as a condition of a free trial for Presonus Studio One + (Plus) and at the end of the free trial, the user’s credit card is charged the membership fee without notifying the user. This may be further exacerbated by an interface that makes it difficult to cancel the membership and also destroys any projects created with Studio One on the Studio One + (Plus) membership.

Confirm Shaming
The practice of shaming a user for exercising the right to opt-out or the practice of blocking any user who speaks out the truth about Presonus' products.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1