Discuss Studio 2|4 / 24c, 2|6 / 26c, 6|8 / 68c, 18|10 / 1810c, and 18|24 / 1824c USB 2.0 Interfaces Here
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
I recently bought a Studio 68c to work with Studio One 6 Artist. I've been testing out the minimum buffer size my machine can handle with one of my typical session files and I got 2 tracks of stereo and 40 tracks of mono 24bit 44.1kHz audio working just fine at a block/buffer size of 64 samples. I had a lot of subgrouping and routing but only one plug-in: Studio One's proprietary Mixverb.
I came to the machine today and on the exact same session it's popping and crackling in a way that suggests that the buffer size is too small. Sure enough if I up the buffer size to 128 samples it works fine. Other smaller sessions are also popping at 64.
All other conditions are the same, with two exceptions:
Before I shut down last night, Windows forced an "update and shut down".
Studio One repeatedly crashed on loading. I traced this out to Melodyne (which has never caused a problem before) from the crash report. After deleting the plugin and re-installing it S1 loads fine.
Anyone else had a similar problem or could suggest somewhere to start looking?
I can handle the latency at 128 samples (it's just over 10ms round trip), but I'd rather not come to it one day to find out that it won't play ball at less than 1024 samples.
Thanks.
Studio 68c interface through a USB3 port
Studio One 6 Artist
Windows10
CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42 GHz
RAM 8.00 GB (7.75 GB usable)

Studio One 6 Artist
Windows10
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Presonus Studio 68c interface
by Trucky on Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:17 am
Please post screenshots of one of your songs that you're having issues with so we can get an idea what might be causing this.

Have you optimized your computer for audio and a DAW?
Are you running the latest release of Melodyne?

Here's the performance rating for your CPU:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-1135G7+%40+2.40GHz

You may be running into performance issues with only 8GB of RAM.

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.6 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by SwitchBack on Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:40 am
OS updates trigger a lot of housekeeping, with cleanups and with many other 'elements' in the computer checking for and actually performing updates etc. You may be fine in a day and after several restarts. But unless you're actually recording (and need a very low latency for that) a 64 samples buffer size is unnecessarily low.
by richardcurran on Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:22 am
Thanks Trucky
Trucky wrotePlease post screenshots of one of your songs that you're having issues with so we can get an idea what might be causing this.

Have you optimized your computer for audio and a DAW?
Are you running the latest release of Melodyne?

Here's the performance rating for your CPU:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-1135G7+%40+2.40GHz

You may be running into performance issues with only 8GB of RAM.

I haven't optimised for audio, I will certainly do this!
Thanks for the link, I did worry about being at the lower end of the spec range. At the moment I'm trialling the system as I'm moving across from a (very) old Pro Tools system. I've used S1 for many years for midi manipulation and arranging, but wanted to see if I could integrate recording on my Windows machine too. Maybe this was a bit ambitious!

Studio One 6 Artist
Windows10
8.00 GB RAM
by richardcurran on Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:33 am
SwitchBack wroteOS updates trigger a lot of housekeeping, with cleanups and with many other 'elements' in the computer checking for and actually performing updates etc. You may be fine in a day and after several restarts. But unless you're actually recording (and need a very low latency for that) a 64 samples buffer size is unnecessarily low.

Hi Switchback, thanks for the reply.
I had wondered if the update had caused some problem with the driver or other aspect, probably just a coincidence that Melodyne crashed the app.
I will definitely be using the software for recording. I've used S1 for many years, but up until now just for midi manipulation and arranging. I do my actual recording on a Mac with Protools but it's a very old system and I want to integrate the score writing and recording side of things more closely.
Because I record full string arrangements my session sizes can be anything between 20 and 40 tracks of audio. I do some work for broadcast too so some sessions have to be at 48kHz sample rate.
Right now I'm trying to find out if this is viable with the machine that I have, or whether I need to up the spec, so any advice is greatfully received!

Studio One 6 Artist
Windows10
8.00 GB RAM
by SwitchBack on Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:36 am
Have a look at this Joe Gilder video about recording in Studio One. I seem to be referring to it a lot lately. And also watch this Gregor Beyerle video about loopback delay adjustment.

Two (if not more) things you could take away from Joe's video are:
1. You can toggle Studio One between low latency mode for recording and normal latency mode for any other work.
2. If you have a mixer or interface with local monitoring then DAW latency becomes irrelevant anyway.

Watch both video's and see if they help you to dial in your studio :)
by richardcurran on Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:06 pm
Fabulous, thanks. I don't think I'm technically illiterate but I have been stuck in a Pro Tools 5.1 time warp for a very long time. But it did the job!
Project 21st century though.
Much appreciated.

Studio One 6 Artist
Windows10
8.00 GB RAM

7 posts
Page 1 of 1