Discuss the new Studio 192 and Studio 192 Mobile here
13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hey folks,

I recently upgraded from a Firestudio Project to the Studio 192 which I've had for almost a week now. I have had good experiences recording with the Firestudio since purchased in May 2013, I pretty much couldn't fault the unit besides its single headphone jack. So I thought the Studio 192 could only be so much better!

Using the Studio 192 I have had to overcome a number of problems, there are some things I just want to clarify if are intentional design decisions, or are bugs/glitches that shouldn't be happening... I use Studio One as my primary DAW on Windows 10.

The device resets whenever I open Studio One, causing a pop/click in my speakers and renders any audio other than Studio One in-operable. Even when at the same sample rate (41.1khz) which makes referencing anything a pain without dragging any external audio files into the DAW. I have tried disabling and enabling exclusive control in the windows control panel but it makes no difference. So when opening Studio One to work almost any other system multi-tasking is disabled, I understand having this as an option to be great for dedication studios but is pretty inconvenient not for project studios, like me.

Is it also a design decision that I have to set-up main outs and headphone routing almost every time I create a new Song? I even have to set-up routing again sometimes when loading previous Songs that have already been set-up for the Studio 192. I obviously never had to do this with my Firestudio which is an annoyance but I understand it to a degree.

Also whenever the UC Surface mixer is engaged audio is in mono, so I have to disable it completely to work in stereo.

Are these all design decisions that are working intended? I feel like the constant restarting of the interface when switching between my DAW and standard PC operations shouldn't be! If it's not, is there anyway to stop this?

Musician, Music & Audio Production
Windows 10 64 bit | Quad i7 3Ghz 16GB DDR3 RAM | Samsung SSDs
Studio One 3 Professional | Studio 192 | Faderport
http://www.rapollostudios.co.uk
by Ottomatrix on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:01 pm
I have similar problems working with the Studio 192, Studio One pro, and win10.

Win10 64bit
i7-4820k CPU
3.70 GHz
32gig ram

Studio 192, Studio live 16.4.2, Studio one pro
i7-4820k CPU, 32 gig RAM, Windows 10 64bit
art- https://www.youtube.com/user/RobbieOtto
by matthewgorman on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:32 pm
There have been firmware updates since the units shipped. Make sure that you update the UC Surface and interface firmware, and these issues should be gone.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Rapollo on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:50 pm
I've updated as you said, although apparently everything was already up to date.

I'll get back to you if the problems persist over the next day or so. Thank you for the reply!

by matthewgorman on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:56 pm
No sweat. I have one myself, so we can get you squared away. The issues you mention were present on earlier firmware versions.

Just to be clear, the process to update is to download UC surface from your presonus account, install that first, then UC Surface will prompt to update the unit firmware.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Rapollo on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:51 am
After making sure EVERYTHING is up-to-date and recording a singer today, I have come to some conclusions.

After experiencing random audio drop-outs and the software refusing to properly sync with the hardware, I had to switch back to my old Firestudio during the recording sessions which was deeply saddening. From then I only experienced one abnormality which was the singer not getting any mic monitoring back briefly - this leaves the possibility my Windows 10 system has some issues and I will try rolling back to Windows 8. When on Windows 8 I didn't have a single problem as opposed to seemingly endless with Windows 10! I certainly experienced more random interface restarts and clicks on pops.

But still, my Studio 192 whilst recorded material indeed SOUNDED better - proved unreliable when recording just a single vocalist :( I will roll back my PC this week with a clean install of everything and see how it performs. If the problems persist I will have to send the unit back which makes me REALLY sad! The features are everything I ever wished for but its sluggishness at keeping in sync with the software is just not worth the trouble alongside the random audio drop-outs.

I can't find anyone else with these problems, so it may well be a faulty unit but it seems unlikely since its so new? There also probably isn't a great number of people with this interface yet. Apologies if I sound like I'm bashing the unit or anything, I truly just want it to be the interface I want it to be but I've had nothing but trouble since I got it :(

Again, I'll get back and review it again over the next few days after re-format and re-install.

by matthewgorman on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:57 am
Lets give it a whirl at troubleshooting after you roll back the os. I have it running fine on Win 7 and 8.1. Between here and possibly TS intervention, it shouldn't take much to get you going. Its a different workflow than the FSP (I had an FST prior to this, and some things are just different), but I am getting in to a rhythm now.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Rapollo on Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:51 am
It literally makes no sense for the unit to perform this badly, everything I've ever bought from Presonus previously I haven't been able to fault! So I can only pray its my PC that has gone to poop somewhat >_< even though that also saddens me

by matthewgorman on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:10 pm
I can tell you, if you are not already, is using S1 you should control everything from the daw, and leave UC Surface behind.

We will have to dig in to what the issues are exactly. The unit is compatible with Win 10, but Win 10 presents its own problems. I haven't entered that fray yet.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Ottomatrix on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:36 pm
Im up to date with all the drivers/firmware and i'm experiencing random audio drop outs as well. I feel its windows 10 though haven't been able to figure it out.

Studio 192
Win10 64bit
i7-4820k CPU
3.70 GHz
32gig ram

by matthewgorman on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:38 pm
What buffersize, samplerate, clock, and safe mode are you running.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Ottomatrix on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:50 pm
Samplerate = 96khz
Clock = Internal
Safe mode = Standard
Block size = Auto

by matthewgorman on Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:05 pm
Interesting. If you want, maybe you can pass me the project via dropbox, and I can match it up on win 7 and 8 and we can start to rule out or confirm that the OS is the issue, then we can tweak from there.

Your call. PM if interested.

Matt

S1Pro V5

13 posts
Page 1 of 1