Share your songs!
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/secrets-mix-2

totally different approach on this one,
i left the other one up (which i never do) to a/b the two mixes.

this mix was faders down, start from scratch, spent about 45 minutes total on it.

the original mix, 6 months worth of half hour increments...! LOL

the diff on this one, is mostly where the synths are panned, and where the rhy guitars and solos are panned.

all levels are new.
i think i could STILL beef up the lows in the kick,and add a bit of meat to the primary synth line on the left.

vox too loud?

by Bbd on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:09 pm
I like this better.
It is wider with better clarity than the first mix.
Needs kick and tighter bass.
Toms are wubby a bit.
I like the lead voc up like that.
Overall, this has more energy.
I wish you played a screaming lead in the instrumental bridge part. The change in chords w/o a supporting lead throw me off a bit.

I would spend a couple hours (ha ha) on this new mix. You are onto something good!
8-)

Bbd

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 4.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 16GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, ELAC Sub, ATOM
by sirmonkey on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:31 pm
Did some A/B-ing on headphones and monitors. To be honest, I have no preference of one mix over the other. I tried listening to details, and also tried to listen more "passively".
Any differences are more subtle than anything I would notice. But then, you probably got this to sound so good by doing many things that most wouldn't notice individually. :thumbup:
* When I went back and read again your description of taking a different approach, I feel sort of goofy. The mixes really sound very, very similar to me. You could probably splice up many segments of both mixes, combining them into one track. I wonder how many people would hear anything unusual as far as changes in the sound/character of the track.
Goofy as I feel, I'm sticking to what I said...I don't prefer one mix over the other on this one.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic,
by robertgilliland1 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:30 am
Bbd wroteI like this better.
It is wider with better clarity than the first mix.
Needs kick and tighter bass.
Toms are wubby a bit.
I like the lead voc up like that.
Overall, this has more energy.
I wish you played a screaming lead in the instrumental bridge part. The change in chords w/o a supporting lead throw me off a bit.

I would spend a couple hours (ha ha) on this new mix. You are onto something good!
8-)

hey bbd!
glad you checked this one out,
thanks for the feedback.

i rather like the toms and kick,
but to be fair, i haven't played around with changing the toms or kick once i found a piece that fit the song... i only have like a thousand different pieces of kit to choose!! LOL

by robertgilliland1 on Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:33 am
sirmonkey wroteDid some A/B-ing on headphones and monitors. To be honest, I have no preference of one mix over the other. I tried listening to details, and also tried to listen more "passively".
Any differences are more subtle than anything I would notice. But then, you probably got this to sound so good by doing many things that most wouldn't notice individually. :thumbup:
* When I went back and read again your description of taking a different approach, I feel sort of goofy. The mixes really sound very, very similar to me. You could probably splice up many segments of both mixes, combining them into one track. I wonder how many people would hear anything unusual as far as changes in the sound/character of the track.
Goofy as I feel, I'm sticking to what I said...I don't prefer one mix over the other on this one.

hey monkey, i get what your are saying about 'no preference'...
probably the only way to clearly hear the differences would be in the cans...

the main thing, was how i put the two synths,
there is a main one, but there is a second, much deeper sounding one, that sometimes mimics the lead synth, and i have these two hard panned now,
whereas before, the lead synth was closer to center, with the guitars left and right.
now the guitars are mostly on the right, sitting on top of the low synth, where they don't really step on each other.

i'll keep playing with it,
but i'm pretty sure the alternate mix is the keeper, and i'll tweak that one into submission!

by sirmonkey on Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:18 pm
Interesting! I just couldn't pick that out. It would have taken me quite a while to figure out the difference. In any event, you already have it mixed really well, so you can't go wrong at this point I think. But I definitely look forward to the next mix.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic,
by robertgilliland1 on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:46 am
sirmonkey wroteInteresting! I just couldn't pick that out. It would have taken me quite a while to figure out the difference. In any event, you already have it mixed really well, so you can't go wrong at this point I think. But I definitely look forward to the next mix.

i'm so glad you're interested, sir monkey...
generating interest in original rock music, without any real backing,
is next to impossible these days.

i will not be posting any more mixes of this song,
or the last 3 i've posted,
because i've stuck the fork in them.

the next time you hear this one,
will be on an official album release.

this will be my 4th full length album.
it will be called "The Wild Animals"

7 posts
Page 1 of 1