8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have recently started using Studio One again after a long break, during which time the only thing that has changed on the PC are routine Windows updates. It all used to work perfectly.

I start a new project and add an audio track, plug in a guitar through a Babyface interface, switch on monitoring and all is well, everything sounds clean. Adding any effect at all to the track causes the sound to become distorted and overdriven, even at the lowest input and gain settings on the effect. Nothing is clipping, all the levels look ok.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Studio One 3.5, Win 10 x64
by Trucky on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:19 am
Please add your system (computer, audio interface, etc.) specs (see below).

Also, are you running Studio One 3.5.6?

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (v1903: Build 18362.295), Studio One 4.5.4 Pro | Notion 6.5 | Universal Control v3.1.0.53214
Dell Inspiron 17 5770 (Intel Core i7-8550U 1.8 GHz, 4GB AMD Radeon 530 Graphics, 16GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD
StudioLive Series III 32 v2.1.16232
by nickcassidy on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:32 am
Windows 10 Pro 64, 1903. Studio One 3.5.6.46910
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H motherboard, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6Gb graphics
16Gb RAM, Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1Tb, ST4000dM000 hard drive
RME Babyface USB audio interface
by Trucky on Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:31 pm
Are you running the latest driver for the RME Babyface USB audio interface?

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (v1903: Build 18362.295), Studio One 4.5.4 Pro | Notion 6.5 | Universal Control v3.1.0.53214
Dell Inspiron 17 5770 (Intel Core i7-8550U 1.8 GHz, 4GB AMD Radeon 530 Graphics, 16GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD
StudioLive Series III 32 v2.1.16232
by Nip on Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:22 pm
I've had issues with some plugins - that are sensitive to much to high input from track. In my case this has been hardware emulating ones, that usually go for -18 dBFs or similar. Not matter what settings I tried on plugin - it got overs.

Solution was to reduce gain on clips - which can be done in Inspector for the clip(that selected) or just drag handle in top middle of clip down.

Just try lower gain on the recorded clip - that lowers level on input to first plugin.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by nickcassidy on Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:25 am
Trucky wroteAre you running the latest driver for the RME Babyface USB audio interface?

I am.
by nickcassidy on Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:26 am
Nip wroteI've had issues with some plugins - that are sensitive to much to high input from track. In my case this has been hardware emulating ones, that usually go for -18 dBFs or similar. Not matter what settings I tried on plugin - it got overs.

Solution was to reduce gain on clips - which can be done in Inspector for the clip(that selected) or just drag handle in top middle of clip down.

Just try lower gain on the recorded clip - that lowers level on input to first plugin.

It happens with all plugins. It isn't due to the gain, nothing is clipping. Reducing the gain makes no difference.
by Nip on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:10 am
Other things that happend to me - getting distortion - is that in RME TotalMix in Matrix view showed that many outputs was mapped to same hardware output - summing those and creating overs.

If you made an audio setup in StudioOne that duplicate to both a phones and speaker output this can happend since Totalmix by default has all outputs mapped to first stereopair.

It does not entirely make sense to your description, unless plugin create a small amplification - but very little is needed if close to 0 dBFs peaks..

It happend here that some got only mono on outs, and similar and reason was wrong mapping of audio setup.

So I would look there, how it looks.

Or give us more details of setup and a project where this is reproduced.

Some interfaces has plugins in the interface that means extra communications between daw and interface etc or UAD stuff.

Is it stock plugins from Presonus as well as 3rd party?

What I read about is that many people getting updates on Windows 10 have to reinstall audio drivers - that is one thing to try and rather quick.

Just throwing some more ideas...

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***

8 posts
Page 1 of 1