5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Greetings fellow PreSonus users. I have a question regarding ones' experience with plugging in a Shure SM7b. This is the true test for my StudioLive Series iii 16, and i think it passed. I was curious if anyone thinks a Cloudlfter is worth using with this board and mic combo. I plugged in my mic, direct, into the board and got some decent levels around 55db - so almost maxed-out... but the preamps are still quiet! So that's impressive. Just wondering if it's okay to run a PreAmp hot like that.

Thanks guys!

Randy
Michigan

Windows 10, Latest Stable Release
Core i7, 16GB RAM
PreSonus StudioLive 16 Series iii (USB and Ethernet connected)
Studio One 4 Artist
by gierig on Fri May 17, 2019 5:52 am
Hey,
and i think it passed
decent levels around 55db

Passed and that results not match or missing I'm here something ?
I would throw away my gear with "decent levels" on 55db for an Dynamic mic.

Anyways...
When the board and Mic are ok. It sound you use the wrong input.
As that would explain the "decent level on 55db"
How did you connect the mic to the Board ?
Remember if you use any TRS (1/4" / 6.3mm Jack) you will use a Line IN
that expect Line level.

Only the XLR connection will use the MIC Preamp.

SL24III | SL16.4.2 | PA | Electronics | Bass | Mac | Logic x | Manual reader | to old to be fame
by Bbd on Fri May 17, 2019 6:44 am
randrums wroteGreetings fellow PreSonus users. I have a question regarding ones' experience with plugging in a Shure SM7b. This is the true test for my StudioLive Series iii 16, and i think it passed. I was curious if anyone thinks a Cloudlfter is worth using with this board and mic combo. I plugged in my mic, direct, into the board and got some decent levels around 55db - so almost maxed-out... but the preamps are still quiet! So that's impressive. Just wondering if it's okay to run a PreAmp hot like that.

Thanks guys!

Randy
Michigan

I have a Studiolive 24 and Shure SM7b and a Cloudlifter. You are correct in that the mic pres are clean and strong enough to handle the mic w/o Cloudlifter. I use it anyway to have more gain if needed.

Bbd

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 4.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 16GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, ELAC Sub, ATOM
by randrums on Fri May 17, 2019 7:48 am
Thank you, Bbd. I appreciate it! That makes sense now.

Windows 10, Latest Stable Release
Core i7, 16GB RAM
PreSonus StudioLive 16 Series iii (USB and Ethernet connected)
Studio One 4 Artist
by PreSonus Seth on Thu May 23, 2019 10:11 am
I have never needed a Cloudlifter with Series 3. I have also never needed 55 dB of gain for these mics either, so I find that very strange. Your source must be very quiet, in which case that mic is not suitable for that use.

5 posts
Page 1 of 1