12 posts
Page 1 of 1
I recently added a digital snake to my studio and, as a consequence, changed a number of signal paths to and from my Midas M32. Now I realise I am unable to play back and master a large number of tracks (dozens) without opening each track/song and changing the output matrix. The mappings between my DAW and my console have been broken.

Is there a way to change that setting in a set of tracks without manually changing and saving every track?

Thanks!
by Trucky on Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:47 pm
I/O mapping is specific to the song so you'll need to update changes to your existing songs. You can create a default I/O setup based on your new configuration so that any new songs work correctly.

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (v1903: Build 18362.239), Studio One 4.5.2 Pro | Notion 6.5 | Universal Control v3.1.0.53214
Dell Inspiron 17 5770 (Intel Core i7-8550U 1.8 GHz, 4GB AMD Radeon 530 Graphics, 16GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD
StudioLive Series III 32 v2.1.16232
by bryanmiller5 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:29 pm
Thanks Trucky! I created the new default and also a new template which contains the new mapping. I am surprised (I guess I should no longer be) that there is no way to fix-up previously recorded songs.

I'll take a look at programmatically changing them and see if that is possible. If so, I will post details here.
by bruceqld on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:04 pm
My workaround for already recorded songs is to create a new empty song using a template that contains my new I/O configuration, save it to a new location with the name of the already recorded song you wish to re-map, then use 'import song data' to import all of the tracks, intruments tempo etc from the old song. Make sure everything is ticked in the import dialogue box. You will of course need to assign the tracks to whichever outputs you now wish to use, but it saves having to re-create the i/o settings from scratch which is a huge time saver.
by thorstenmustermann on Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:15 am
bruceqld wroteMy workaround for already recorded songs is to create a new empty song using a template that contains my new I/O configuration

In other words: This is a unbelievable crazy part from PreSonus! SO4 should have since the first version 1 from years ago a functionally to store different I/O settings for using in different situations and not only a "default" configuration which can even not loading in existing projects/song data. This is so horrible! This is not acceptable at all!

I hope in next major update like 4.5 or even to version 5 PreSonus will make back the focus on recording production scenarios with real instruments. Therefore the SO users need powerful tools for recording and editing traditional audio channels. It should be self-evident that every DAW on market can handle existing projects with different Audio-Interfaces with different I/O situations. What to hell have the people from PreSonus in mind? Totally incomprehensible!

And it is also time for using different ASIO Audio-interfaces at the same time and in the same project together. For example: One special "low latency" interface for the inputs and one multi channel interface for the outputs. We are not more living in the past like the eighties! It is time for powerful tools even in SO4 DAW. Thanks.
by bruceqld on Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:18 pm
You can backup your I/O settings quite easily using the Studio One settings file. I have multiple interface/digital mixer setups that I switch between frequently. I have detailed this in another post. Even switching between devices, S1 has no problems recalling the settings of particular hardware with no changing or editing of the setup file, which is impressive. This thread however is about mapplng a new I/O routing to an already recorded song. There is no simple approach to that task.

It seems that DAW developers are damned if they do, damned if they don't. Studio One does a great job of remapping song outputs no matter what hardware it is using as that routing is stored with the song and applied to whatever hardware is available. Sonar, for example, does the opposite. When opening a song with a different interface connected, it would open a dialogue box, and every output had to be reassigned. Any track not assigned remained silent. Certainly not the most convenient approach!

There is a reason no DAW makes remapping simple. It is a complex combination of variables introduced by the plethora of hardware/software combinations available. That is not to say it wouldn't be great to have. It's just hard to imagine how it could be done.
by bryanmiller5 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:19 am
thorstenmustermann wrote
bruceqld wroteMy workaround for already recorded songs is to create a new empty song using a template that contains my new I/O configuration

In other words: This is a unbelievable crazy part from PreSonus! SO4 should have since the first version 1 from years ago a functionally to store different I/O settings for using in different situations and not only a "default" configuration which can even not loading in existing projects/song data. This is so horrible! This is not acceptable at all!

LOL! I was trying not to put too sharp a point on it but thank you for speaking up. It is nuts.

Now I have a dozen templates for each possible studio routing configuration I have. But, there is NO WAY to simply overlay that template on an existing song to allow mixing and EQing via the console (Midas M32). I am beginning to see that SO4 is not the right combination for use with the M32 as a DAW.
by bryanmiller5 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:23 am
bruceqld wroteYou can backup your I/O settings quite easily using the Studio One settings file. I have multiple interface/digital mixer setups that I switch between frequently. I have detailed this in another post. Even switching between devices, S1 has no problems recalling the settings of particular hardware with no changing or editing of the setup file, which is impressive. This thread however is about mapplng a new I/O routing to an already recorded song. There is no simple approach to that task.

It seems that DAW developers are damned if they do, damned if they don't. Studio One does a great job of remapping song outputs no matter what hardware it is using as that routing is stored with the song and applied to whatever hardware is available. Sonar, for example, does the opposite. When opening a song with a different interface connected, it would open a dialogue box, and every output had to be reassigned. Any track not assigned remained silent. Certainly not the most convenient approach!

There is a reason no DAW makes remapping simple. It is a complex combination of variables introduced by the plethora of hardware/software combinations available. That is not to say it wouldn't be great to have. It's just hard to imagine how it could be done.

Bruce, I can see issues going between disparate devices. But I am talking about one device here. It am looking how the matrix is represented in the files and it would be really simple to allow the user to load a song and then select from already created mapping templates to determine how to map the I/O back to the console. It is a simple XML/JSON representation.
by bruceqld on Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:49 pm
Agreed it would be much better to have a straightforward method of simply remapping a project Bryan. At least the ability to now import song data has given us a somewhat convoluted workaround. I use this method to re-map my songs from my RME Fireface to my X-32 for live performance, so it will certainly work for your M-32. Give it a try. It only takes a couple of minutes once you get the hang of it.
by roblof on Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:53 am
If I understand the question then cubase/nuendo can already do this. And reaper with its plethora of bells and whistles - Are you sure it can’t do this either?

By using dante-via or similar, you can have virtual mappings that never change with the hardware and S1 would be able to use the same i/o template for all projects. Any routing can change on the fly using the dante-via tools.

bruceqld wroteThere is a reason no DAW makes remapping simple. It is a complex combination of variables introduced by the plethora of hardware/software combinations available. That is not to say it wouldn't be great to have. It's just hard to imagine how it could be done.

iMac late 2015, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, x32 with Dante/aes67, x32-rack with Dante/aes67, s16 and sd16 stageboxes, p16 monitor system, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Motör 61, BCR-2000, StudioLive 24, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, Studio One Pro v4, Notion 6, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, Halion 6, Nuendo 10, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reaper 4, misc Line6 gear/software, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha 02r.....
by bryanmiller5 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:57 am
bruceqld wroteAgreed it would be much better to have a straightforward method of simply remapping a project Bryan. At least the ability to now import song data has given us a somewhat convoluted workaround.

Thank you Bruce! I'll have a go at that method this week and let you know how it goes. I will also dump the settings file to see if I can create a simple application to remap old songs. I have about 6-8 common configurations due to my studio is configured. Since I have one snake going into the drum room I know that those 12 channels are always drums and usually even the individual mic channels do not change much.
by bailatosco on Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:11 am
It's amazing that this basic feature isn't implemented yet, but let's make shure the developers know it's important for us by voting and commenting this request:

https://answers.presonus.com/6087/io-se ... e-and-load

Intel i7-6700K OC'd to 4.4Ghz / 16Gb RAM
WIN 10 64bit
Studio One v3.5 Professional
Audiobox 1818vsl

12 posts
Page 1 of 1