6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Dear forum members,

my old midi keyboard has started to act weird lately, it's time to get a new one. I am not after a huge amount of functions, but I want decent quality keys! I want:

* 4-6 octaves
* Pitchbend and modulation wheels
* Probably semi weighted keys
* Velocity sensitivity
* It would be nice to be able to browse patches in most virtual instruments with it (I guess this can be done by the keyboard emulating computer keyboard left, right, up, down keys?)
* Easy to setup to work with Studio One

Thanks for your suggestions,
Sven

phpBB [audio]
by Lokeyfly on Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:25 am
Hii Sven, What's your budget towards this? It will likely matter a lot when people responding have some idea.

Some of the better Novation keyboard controllers have a speed dial which can work when the mouse cursor is placed over a dial, but I don't know of any specific keyboards that readily adjust patches unless they are towards their own software such as Native Instruments, Arturia, Nektar (towards Reason patches), etc.

For quality semi weighted keys, there's a bunch of excellent choices. Korg , Roland, Kurzwwil, and Yamaha have been doing keyboards longer than most, but the prices will reflect that.

I'd have a peak at Arturia's better series called Key Lab MkII. The 49, and 61 key versions have an aluminum surface, and base. It does scream quality at a not too expensive price. You also get an immense library of sounds with it.

I'll add more details if you're interested, but if I were looking for a new keyboard, that's a good place to start.
The Arturia Essential series comes with the same bundle of sounds called Analog 3, only that series has a very cheesy keyboard, so I can't recommend it. Note: both the essential, and MKII versions come in white or black.
Keylab 49 MkII $449
Keylab 61 MkII $499
Other suggestion with quality keys:
Novation SL MkII or MkIII
Nektar Panarama series
Korg, Roland, or Yamaha dedicated controllers will have high quality semi weighted, or fully weighted keys.
There's a few hidden affordable gems out there as well.

S1-6.6, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Jemusic on Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:58 am
Recently I went to a clinic that featured a drum machine this controller:

https://www.arturia.com/store/hybrid-sy ... ck-edition

The drum machine at the clinic I was interested in but I was impressed by this controller. It is quite well built but the main thing here is the level of integration is getting deeper with various DAW's.
Plus the fact you get the Analog Lab virtual instruments with this and 6000 patches! That alone will keep you busy. Of course this keyboard has a lot of control over Analog Lab.

Check into it and see how deep it can go with Studio One. The info says it is compatible. Download the manual and check into it there. Might be a good place to start. It does has a certain level of integration. Not sure about loading instruments and auditioning presets.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by svenhedlund on Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:34 am
Thanks for your replies! Regarding budget, I have not really set an upper limit yet so I don't know. Keylab 49/61 MkII looks nice! It would be interesting if there is any user in this forum that has first hand experience of this keyboard with Studio One!

phpBB [audio]
by BobF on Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:42 am
I'm not a piano/key player:

The nektar LX61+ has direct Studio One support, so it's VERY easy to get going with. I eventually custom mapped just about everything, which was also pretty simple.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Studio One Pro - latest / Win10Pro x64 (latest) / i7-6700 @3.8Ghz / 32G / UMC1820 / Event PS8
RC w/Galaxy S7+ / KKS61MK2 / Atom SQ
by Lokeyfly on Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:56 am
I'm sure someone will respond who has the MkII Sven. What I can tell you is both the MKII, and Essential, Jemusic mentions both have a startup for DAW integration, that includes Studio One. With the MkII, you also get small (roughly 6 or 8 button) add-on plates that are DAW specific so there's one for Studio One.

I really like what Arturia provides for both affordable (Essential), and MK2 for the better quality.

Consider, Analog Lab on its own is $149. If you purchased the Essential 49, that's a controller for $50! The 61 key version for $100. Just my opinion but the keys on the Essential series are a bit "Squishy". I got to do a hands-on just this last Friday. However, Jemusic is more of a keyboardist and he likes it enough to endorse it, so I'm sure it's good. Another bonus for someone like me is both the Essential and MKII have chord memory. You may not need such a thing, but if someone doesn't know chords, this is SO MUCH more intuitive than a software chorder.

Analog lab is a wonderful addition as its not a mere sample library, but the algorithmic embodiment of those instruments. It's what Arturia does, so it's legitimate stuff. Granted, the functionality is about 16 parameters of control per sound, but it's direct off of the keyboard. The encoders and faders are also MIDI/ or DAW plugin definable as well.

No, I don't work for Arturia, but I don't mind mentioning a good thing that comes along.

S1-6.6, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️

6 posts
Page 1 of 1