8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Last night I've mixed a live show using all 24 input channels on my SLIII24. I've also tried to record everything onto an SD card with the on-board recording functionality.

When examining the recordings today I noticed lots of cuts in the audio as if there were quite a few seconds missing from the audio. This happens every 30 to 60 seconds. It seems the SD card I was using was not fast enough to save the incoming audio data and dropped it instead. :(

I have successfully recorded shows with up to 22 channels of audio using that same card without any problems before. But 24 or more doesn't seem to work properly. It's a Kingston 64GB SDXC rated at 80 MB/s. USBDeview's speed test measures about 30MB/s write under Windows, which - in theory - should be more than enough. 24 mono channels at 24bit/48kHz are less than 3.5 MB/s!

What type/brand of SD cards are you using to record this amount of inputs or even more?
by roblof on Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:22 am
Unfortunately the sustained write speed drops like a stone in water when you use multiple streams rather than a single stream.

The only way to really tell is to test each sdcard first and also to properly format them prior to use.

iMac late 2015, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, x32 with Dante/aes67, x32-rack with Dante/aes67, s16 and sd16 stageboxes, p16 monitor system, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Motör 61, BCR-2000, StudioLive 24, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, Studio One Pro v4.1.1, Notion 6, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, Halion 6, Nuendo 8.2, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reaper 4, misc Line6 gear/software, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha 02r.....
by Skip Jones on Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:40 pm

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by fripholm on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:40 pm
Skip Jones wroteFrom the KB article.

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... -Recording

Thanks, but most of this article's recommendations are outdated and not available anymore. However, I've managed to find a dealer for one of the Sandisk cards and ordered one.

I'll test and report back when I get it.
by roblof on Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:01 pm
Just like usb sticks you are not guaranteed that what may look like the exact same sdcard actually is. They can even have the same part number but still be ‘updated’.

fripholm wrote
Skip Jones wroteFrom the KB article.

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... -Recording

Thanks, but most of this article's recommendations are outdated and not available anymore. However, I've managed to find a dealer for one of the Sandisk cards and ordered one.

I'll test and report back when I get it.

iMac late 2015, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, x32 with Dante/aes67, x32-rack with Dante/aes67, s16 and sd16 stageboxes, p16 monitor system, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Motör 61, BCR-2000, StudioLive 24, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, Studio One Pro v4.1.1, Notion 6, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, Halion 6, Nuendo 8.2, Ableton Live 8 Suite, Reaper 4, misc Line6 gear/software, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha 02r.....
by PreSonus Seth on Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:22 am
SDXC cards are not supported.

SDHC only. Class 10, U-3 models ONLY.

Kingston Cards have been mostly terrible for recording during testing.

Stick with Samsung or SanDisk. They have better QC for their cards and also don't use OEM factories to build their cards (less chinese clone cards).
by fripholm on Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:14 am
Last Saturday I had the opportunity to test the newly ordered Sandisk SD card and recorded another live concert. The on-board speed test resulted in 34 channels (the old Kingston card had 9 (nine!) although I could record far more) and for the actual show I recorded 25 tracks. There were no glitches in the recordings at all :)

Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC U-3 - fully recommended!

However, it's a pity that cards with more than 32GB of memory are not officially supported...
by fernandogaspar on Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:06 pm
Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC U-3 - fully recommended!

Yes, that's what I use and it works super good!

8 posts
Page 1 of 1