8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Wondering if anyone knows of a trick or midi plugin that will all me to view raw data on a recorded MIDI track.. I do pretty extensive midi work and for some reason MIDI volume data get written on the track (and I have no idea how) and its not what I want. Thinking I can just record my own volume MIDI to that track, the only thing that happens is the volume jerks around and gets real squirly.. Do display the data in the midi piano roll view, you have to know what controller you want to view. There are hundreds of possibilities.. A simple “This is the raw data of your track” view would tell me everything I want to know..

XPS 8930 Intel Core i7 9700 3.0GHz Processor; NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super 6GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM; 1TB SSD; on Windows 10. Interface: PreSonus SL24.4.2 on firewire400. Studio One Pro 5 | Melodyne Editor 5 | IvoryII | IK-Multimedia | Kontakt
Roland Fantom X | Roland RD600
by Nip on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:14 am
Simplest would be to just playback with midi monitor up.
Down on the left and klick on midi symbol or close to it, don't remember.

As far as I know the is no midi list in StudioOne, which has been on feature requests a long time.
And be aware, StudioOne does not record system exclusive - just viewable in midi monitor. As far as I tested - StudioOne filter sysex correctly, so any bytes in between should not be interpreted wrongly.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by Tacman7 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:53 am
joeloduca wrote MIDI volume data get written on the track (and I have no idea how) and its not what I want.

S1 will record midi volume events if you send them to it.

I think you can set up a filter so it won't record them, maybe, have to look that up.

I haven't seen it add volume event on its own.

Problem with midi volume events is they're not very linear and problematic as I remember.

Much better to work with automation.

I'm too lazy to install cubase so I downloaded a free midi editor. One that lets you edit in list view for the rare occasion I need to work with the events more closely.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by joeloduca on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:30 pm
I think I am beginning to see some of the MIDI issues.. again I can't prove this without some kind of MIDI monitor of whats already recorded.. In S1, I think I can monitor whats coming into the MIDI IN's. But that doesn't help me here.

I am doing a lot of big band stuff. So I like to organize one instant of Kontakt to hold all my saxes (in this case 7 tracks). Then another instant of Kontakt for Trumpets and trombones. Automation is nicer to work with than MIDI, I agree. But I think I can only get automation to work globally with that instant of Kontakt. I'd much rather get automation going for each one of my brass or woodwind instruments so I can better control the blend of those sections. Thats what I am wrestling with now, getting a decent blend.

I think what might be the issue I am having is, some of the virtual instruments I use are real big on using some scripting behind the scenes.. I don't know whats being done exactly in the scripts, but I think to some extent volume data might be part of these scripts and when I try to write something I want. The MIDI throws a hissy fit! and the volume control flies all over the place in just a fraction of a second.

So I waved the white flag and surrendered.. I am compiling the midi instruments to individual audio tracks and then I will automate those... only way I can think of ...

XPS 8930 Intel Core i7 9700 3.0GHz Processor; NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super 6GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM; 1TB SSD; on Windows 10. Interface: PreSonus SL24.4.2 on firewire400. Studio One Pro 5 | Melodyne Editor 5 | IvoryII | IK-Multimedia | Kontakt
by Tacman7 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:15 pm
joeloduca wrote. But I think I can only get automation to work globally with that instant of Kontakt. I'd much rather get automation going for each one of my brass or woodwind instruments so I can better control the blend of those sections.

Instrument tracks are midi but you can add audio plugins to the track.
That's the audio channel for the instrument track and it can be automated.
You can have up to 16 tracks for one instance of a multitimbral virtual instrument like Kontact.

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by Nip on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:32 am
joeloduca wroteIn S1, I think I can monitor whats coming into the MIDI IN's. But that doesn't help me here.

You can monitor what goes out as well, just redirect midi track temporarily to a output port and watch playback.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by Tacman7 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:25 am
Thread about setting up multiple audio channels for one instrument.

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=33156&p=192110#p192110

Forum Moderator.

by joeloduca on Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:40 am
Thanks to all of you for your thoughts.

I had a audio revelation yesterday night though. went on youtube and pulled down a video on taking multiple MIDI kontakt tracks and routing them to individual audio outs, then getting Studio 1 to see those kontakt tracks. That gives me all the flexibility I crave for this big band piece. So I am getting the blends I want now.. So I think this solution is better than tossing in MIDI volume control settings.
I erased all the MIDI volume stuff in the track. If there is embedded scripting that the VI manufacturer has in their sounds, then so be it.. I just let it do its thing. Then I set up multiple Kontakt tracks for the 1 instance of the saxophone sections I have.. Then I just impose automation on the audio returns to S1 from kontakt. It works well.. So I am a happy camper once again!

8 posts
Page 1 of 1