Share your songs!
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
3rd mix, un-mastered, final arrangement,
it's got to be topped and tailed, has an extra 30 seconds or so at the end.

i think the bass line is too strong, so i need some feedback on that...
and the final chorus needs to be louder.

also, looking for translation issues at this point,
before mastering.

this song is supposed to be a sort of 'pick me up' for anyone feeling blue.

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/on-ur-way-3

by sirmonkey on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:51 am
Sounds great to me. I like the bass as-is (* I'm the guy that wants the bass to be a bit stronger in 70% of mixes that I hear). I like strongish bass, but not muddy, of course. And your bass is not muddy at all to me. I listened on small Alesis Elevate monitors, which are not super bass responsive. * But they do carry the bass a bit better than most would think, especially when turned up.
I also listened on Audio Technica ATHm30x headphones. Of course, sounds different on those, but also sounds great. I can't quibble with any of the balances in the mix. And I love the song :punk:
So from my reference point, really well done in all respects.
Last edited by sirmonkey on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic,
by Black_Haus on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:46 pm
The mix sounds good over here.

Dell XPS 8930 - Win10 64-Bit i7 8700K 32GB RAM 512 SSD 2TB HD S1 2 Pro, S1 3 Pro & S1 4 Pro
HP Omen - Win 10 64-Bit i7 7700HQ 12GB RAM 1TB HD S1 4 Pro
Firestudio Project x 2, StudioLive 16.4.2, Audiobox 44VSL
Roli Seaboard Block & Lightpad, Nektar Impact LX49+, Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Avatar, ADA, SWR

https://www.zeroempire.net
by robertgilliland1 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:09 am
sirmonkey wroteSounds great to me. I like the bass as-is (* I'm the guy that wants the bass to be a bit stronger in 70% of mixes that I hear). I like strongish bass, but not muddy, of course. And your bass is not muddy at all to me. I listened on small Alesis Elevate monitors, which are not super bass responsive. * But they do carry the bass a bit better than most would think, especially when turned up.
I also listened on Audio Technica ATHm30x headphones. Of course, sounds different on those, but also sounds great. I can't quibble with any of the balances in the mix. And I love the song :punk:
So from my reference point, really well done in all respects.

alright monkey!
thanks for listening

i think the problem with the bass, is that on full range systems, it's too much,
and on small systems, it's just right!
i gotta find the middle ground.
i did some more work on it last night,
and i found the 'puffy' freqs, and i cut the kick where i boost the bass, and vice versa....
this has dialed it in even more!

so thanks for the feedback

by sirmonkey on Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:26 pm
Sure thing. I definitely wanted to let you know what I'm listening on, ( and mention my own tendencies/taste), which makes all the difference.
Sounds like you have your techniques down... can't wait to hear the next mix!

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic,
by victorparedes on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:33 pm
Damn this takes me back to the mid 90s (in the best way possible). This would have been a megahit then and should be now. I absolutely love your rhythm guitar work. Great voice too!
by robertgilliland1 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:39 pm
Black_Haus wroteThe mix sounds good over here.

thanks black,
i appreciate your feedback

by jpsbuk on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:19 pm
Generally sounds pretty good to me on headphones. Only minor criticism (to my ears) is that the vocal is maybe a bit low in the mix and I would have liked to hear it more prominently over the (very nice) guitars.

Thanks for sharing

Studio One 4.1.0 Professional
MacBook Pro (2018) 2.9GHz 7th Gen i7 Processor 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, Radeon Pro 560 4GB
Mac 27" i5 with Presonus FireStudio Mobile
Edirol PCR500, Akai LPK25, Korg nanoKey 2, M-Audio BX5, NI Komplete Kontrol S49 Mk2, Komplete 11, Nektar Impact GX49, NI Maschine Jam

http://soundcloud.com/busterbuk
http://busterbuk.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/BusterBuk/
by robertgilliland1 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:10 pm
jpsbuk wroteGenerally sounds pretty good to me on headphones. Only minor criticism (to my ears) is that the vocal is maybe a bit low in the mix and I would have liked to hear it more prominently over the (very nice) guitars.

Thanks for sharing

hello jpsbuk!
you know, as i said in the original post, i thought the last verse/chorus section was too low, but i think the front end is ok....
i don't want the vocals to stick out like a sore thumb,
this is not a singer songwriter/ style recording, but a virtual 'band', and so, like a lot of classic rock that i dig, i tend to mix the vocals so they blend with the band...

it's just a subjective call, but i know a lot of folks favor vox anyway,
so i'll keep working on that balance....
thanks for the insights

9 posts
Page 1 of 1