9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello, It has been a very long time since I got back into recording. This week, I purchased the beautiful StudioLive 16 Series 3 Mixer. I can't believe how far recording has come; This thing is amazing.

After unboxing the mixer, I messed around with the mixer in standalone mode, while wearing some headphones. I'm starting out with on Microphone in Input 1, enabled some compression, Gate, etc.

Today, I decided to hook everything up to the computer and start messing with recording.
I was able to setup all of the networking stuff properly (I have no trouble with networking/protocols, etc, so I was able to Setup UCNET, Connect the USB and Ethernet properly and turned on "software control" for the transport controls).

My Issue:
My problem/confusion starts when I launch Studio One, setup my project, and then enabled "DAW" mode. When I enable DAW mode, the "Comp" / "Gate" / "EQ" Buttons are not active any more. What I was really hoping to do is keep those "per-channel" compressor effects active, so that my computer doesn't have do it. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Can you tell me why I can't use those effects when DAW Mode is active?

Basically when I connect this mixer to my computer and enable DAW mode, my confusion begins. I really want to use this thing for a Podcast setup (I bought this for the on-board effects and recording capability to avoid having to buy external effects processors), and to mic up my drumset and record some nice tracks.

Any help you can offer me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Randy

Windows 11, Latest Stable Release
Core i7, 32GB RAM
PreSonus StudioLive 16 Series iii
Studio One 4 Professional
by Bbd on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:06 am
Did you activate your purchased items from Studio One's menu?

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by randrums on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:44 am
Hello and thank you for the speedy response.
I think everything is activated.

I clicked "Studio One" > "Activate Purchased Items" > download and it brings me to this box.
I've attached a Screenshot of the Box that shows I have it all installed.

Attachments
677777.png

Core i7, 32GB RAM
by wahlerstudios on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:21 pm
It's not uncommon to be confused... ;-) Many people do not understand that pressing the DAW button makes them immediately enter a different world - the world of Studio One. Studio One takes control over your console, eliminates its life and degrades it to an interface. Now everything (!) is happening in S1 and that's how the S1 fans want it and need it. They want the StudioLive consoles to function as luxurious FaderPort with lots of faders and buttons.

What you are looking for is an 'untypical' use of Studio One as effect rack and recorder. You want to route your SL channels through Studio One and use the effects as inserts per channel or via buses as returns. All StudioLive consoles have had this feature. It works great also with the Series III. Inputs are located on the console and processing takes place in the console AND in Studio One.

It may be that Studio One is kind of an overkill for recording tracks processed on your console. Capture is a very good alternative. Unfortunately Capture running on a computer is not allowed to be selected under Software Control, which means that the transport buttons on the console stay inactive. The buttons and the control on the touch screen are only active when the built-in Capture is recording on SD card.

A very helpful document is the "Using_Your_StudioLive_Mixer_as_an_Audio_Interface_with_Universal_Control_EN_20032018"-manual, which you can find in the download area. In section 4 (Using the StudioLive as an Audio Interface) it says:

"Every Digital Send is hard-coded to be sent pre-fader from the input channels of the StudioLive. These sends can be pre- or post-Fat Channel EQ and dynamics. To record the EQ and dynamics processing on any channel, simply enable the Post button in the Digital Out section. It will illuminate, indicating that the Fat Channel signal path is being routed to the Digital Send."

Hope this helps.
by randrums on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:41 pm
Thank you so much for clearing up the DAW Part for me. I definitely am a bit confused on the concept of how DAW works when dealing with a full-blown mixer (I originally owned the FireStudio and it was all done on the computer, so there wasn't that Hybrid confusion for me). This is the first time I've owned a mixer with this capability.
I'd like to try this out - enabling the Post Button in the Digital Out section as you had mentioned. My main goal is to have real-time effects processed At the mixer level before being introduced to the PC's natural latency. I hope I'm understanding this part properly - because I love the mixer's built-in effects. Maybe I could have a skype call consultation with you, depending on what you'd charge as I'd pay for you to share your knowledge!

Thank you,

Randy
wahlerstudios wroteIt's not uncommon to be confused... ;-) Many people do not understand that pressing the DAW button makes them immediately enter a different world - the world of Studio One. Studio One takes control over your console, eliminates its life and degrades it to an interface. Now everything (!) is happening in S1 and that's how the S1 fans want it and need it. They want the StudioLive consoles to function as luxurious FaderPort with lots of faders and buttons.

What you are looking for is an 'untypical' use of Studio One as effect rack and recorder. You want to route your SL channels through Studio One and use the effects as inserts per channel or via buses as returns. All StudioLive consoles have had this feature. It works great also with the Series III. Inputs are located on the console and processing takes place in the console AND in Studio One.

It may be that Studio One is kind of an overkill for recording tracks processed on your console. Capture is a very good alternative. Unfortunately Capture running on a computer is not allowed to be selected under Software Control, which means that the transport buttons on the console stay inactive. The buttons and the control on the touch screen are only active when the built-in Capture is recording on SD card.

A very helpful document is the "Using_Your_StudioLive_Mixer_as_an_Audio_Interface_with_Universal_Control_EN_20032018"-manual, which you can find in the download area. In section 4 (Using the StudioLive as an Audio Interface) it says:

"Every Digital Send is hard-coded to be sent pre-fader from the input channels of the StudioLive. These sends can be pre- or post-Fat Channel EQ and dynamics. To record the EQ and dynamics processing on any channel, simply enable the Post button in the Digital Out section. It will illuminate, indicating that the Fat Channel signal path is being routed to the Digital Send."

Hope this helps.

Core i7, 32GB RAM
by wahlerstudios on Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:20 pm
No Skype here, sorry... Anyway, payments should be directed to Baton Rouge. That company there needs the money more than we as customers.:mrgreen: All knowledge here is for free. Users help users - that's the idea of the Forums.

It takes quite some time to become familiar with Studio One, because it is a mighty software with pristine effects. Have a look at Chorus and Flanger, the Leslie, the ProEQ or the reverbs. Or the multiband compressor. You can really improve your live mix just by adding Studio One processing (per channel or via buses). But if your new to the StudioLive consoles, better let Studio One wait until you are familiar with the console and Capture for recording and playing back tracks. Once Capture is not stimulation enough any longer, press the DAW button and discover the world of Studio One... ;-)

"Hybrid" is a very good term to desrcibe what DAW mode means. By the way, there are a lot of videos and tutorials around. Have a look at the "Community University" (Community Based Training) and the three links to PreSonus' resources. There is also a tutorial about DAW mode in the download area (StudioLive_Series_III_Studio_One_DAW_Control_Addendum_EN_V2_07062018).
by randrums on Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:30 pm
Thanks again! I really appreciate it. Your reference looks more up-to-date than the one I had. Have a great day!
wahlerstudios wroteNo Skype here, sorry... Anyway, payments should be directed to Baton Rouge. That company there needs the money more than we as customers.:mrgreen: All knowledge here is for free. Users help users - that's the idea of the Forums.

It takes quite some time to become familiar with Studio One, because it is a mighty software with pristine effects. Have a look at Chorus and Flanger, the Leslie, the ProEQ or the reverbs. Or the multiband compressor. You can really improve your live mix just by adding Studio One processing (per channel or via buses). But if your new to the StudioLive consoles, better let Studio One wait until you are familiar with the console and Capture for recording and playing back tracks. Once Capture is not stimulation enough any longer, press the DAW button and discover the world of Studio One... ;-)

"Hybrid" is a very good term to desrcibe what DAW mode means. By the way, there are a lot of videos and tutorials around. Have a look at the "Community University" (Community Based Training) and the three links to PreSonus' resources. There is also a tutorial about DAW mode in the download area (StudioLive_Series_III_Studio_One_DAW_Control_Addendum_EN_V2_07062018).

Core i7, 32GB RAM
by roblof on Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:47 pm
It is also good to know that the studiolive channel strip processing is also available as a plugin in studioone. It is called the Fat Channel.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by randrums on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:44 pm
I see. I tried what wahlerstudios mentioned regarding the Post output setting for the individual channel and that worked perfectly.
So what you're referring to for the Channel Strip processing/fat channel, is that possible to utilize in Real-time on the mixer-side while recording? Mainly I'm looking to compress a mic input as it's being recorded with no delay in monitor, particularly in a podcast setup for now. But to eventually Mic drums and record them, my beautiful DW Collectors Kit :)
roblof wroteIt is also good to know that the studiolive channel strip processing is also available as a plugin in studioone. It is called the Fat Channel.

Core i7, 32GB RAM

9 posts
Page 1 of 1