4 posts
Page 1 of 1
can i expand sl32 3rd gen and add a sl 32r to make a 64 input console?
by alanbutterworth on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:58 am
Although I'm new to the SL3, I have had plenty of mixers in the past. The architecture of the SL3 series is a 32 channel mixer....so although you can add racks / stageboxes etc, you still only (I say only!) have 32 input mixing channels, I suppose you could use flex-mixes out of the rack and bring those 'submixes' of the rack into channels of the SL32, but presumably you would need a separate router to control the rack independent of the main mixer?

Window 10, HP Z800 PC, Dual Intel Xeon [email protected] (2 processors), 64Gb RAM, 2 x SSD, 2 x HD, Native Instruments ULTIMATE KOMPLETE 11 plus Symphonic Series Library, Nektar Panorama P6, Komplete Kontrol S25, Studio One 4 (pro), Cubase 9.5 PRO, Dorico 2, Notion 5, Studiolive Series 3 32, various outboard.
by marlo_haboc on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:41 am
thank you.... i hope they can expand it in the near future, the 2nd gen can like cs18ai can control 2 rm32ai for 64 input....
by SwitchBack on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:18 pm
I have my doubts if this will ever happen. PreSonus made it quite clear that for the Series III mixers 32 will be the channel count and that the channel count will be 32.

My guess is that it’s a business case thing based on what they learned from the Series I mixers, both the positives (customers choosing StudioLive mixers specifically because of the upscaling options beyond 32 channels) and the negatives (the effort needed to make it work, again and again with every update). Probably it didn’t add up.

You can of course use a rack mixer as a submixer for the console mixer. But you’ll have to control both mixers separately, even when they’re connected to the same router.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1