21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Hello!!

I finally made the switch to Studio One 2 Pro from Cubase 7.5, my god I'm so glad I did, It's insanely fast at getting ideas down...man the workflow is mind blowing!! :lol: :lol:

Anyway thought I'd just mention that, I'm very happy indeed. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks Presonus.

Keep up the great work.

All the best.

Mark.

DAW: Studio One 3 Professional. //\\Notion//\\.
CPU: i7 4790k.
MB: Asus Z97Pro - 32gb Ram - SSD's & 7200 HD's.
GPU: Asus GT730.
Soundcard: Komplete Audio 6 - Nektar LX61 Master Keyboard,
Speakers: Genelec 1030m. - Behritone C5A.
Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50x - Yamaha RH-5MA
Many Sample libs & synths etc.
by jpettit on Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:28 pm
Welcome aboard! :-)

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by scottyo7 on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:21 am
Ditto, welcome,

I came from Cubase (5) also... nearly 4 years ago. You won't be disappointed.

You can setup the keyboard shortcuts to emulate Cubase if that helps you make the transition a bit easier. See page 9 in the manual.

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by marktwine on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:03 pm
niles wroteCongratulations on the switch, I hope S1 does it for you.
scottyo7 wroteI came from Cubase (5) also... nearly 4 years ago. You won't be disappointed.

It depends a bit on what you use it for.

On the audio side Studio One is a worthy contender but on the MIDI side Cubase still is absolutely superior to Studio One (eg. different editors (piano, list, drum, notation), MIDI inserts & sends, retrospective record, flexible ppq, conditional editor, chord track, clear piano roll with note names (or text), adjustable catch range, tempo track ramp, key switch per note (expression maps), adjustable catch range, etc....).
But Studio One also has some nifty MIDI features that are lacking in Cubase (eg. automation from the MIDI clip, flexible groove quantize, transfrom MIDI to audio back and forth (even separate channels), bounce in place, etc).

Needles to say, I'm still going back and forth between Cubase and S1 :lol:

Well you see that's the problem with cubase, far to many options & unnecessary mouse clicks getting in the way of creating.....talk about a workflow killer.

I'm running 45 or more Kontakts for my Orchestral template, 6-8 Verberate reverbs, 4 NI 240's & a couple of NI 480's, EQ's & some form of dynamics (not necessarily compression) processing on most channels, U-he Zebra, Diva, NI Absynth & FM8 ....plus recorded audio....RUNS PERFECT!!

No problems with video playback either.

So yeah , very happy indeed.

Hoping Version 3 of studio one will have some form of basic score editor if only for reference & I'm set for life! ..failing that I could always slave notion, but an all in one solution would be best.

Cheers.

by oldblood on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:45 pm
Best move you will ever make!!! Welcome

Clive

i5 @4.4Ghz, 16 GB Ram, GTX 550TI graphics OS:Win7 64
Focusrite Sappire Pro 24DSP,Nektar Impact LX88,
KRK Rokit 6, Cakewalk MA-150.
DAW S1 V3 Professional
Synths: Reason,
Plugs: Waves, Slate,Soundtoys, Eventide, Lexicon, Melda and various.
by mwright137 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:17 pm
Great news! Now go forth and do good things...

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by shanabit on Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:15 pm
Happy DAWing bro, Ive reduced down to Cubase 7.5 and S1 . I can do anything here now but find myself hangin out in S1 more these days. The Project page just makes it so simple for me to do a mix tweak for someone then update the master in no time. Midi in Cubase still rules but Im sure S1 v3 will be an improvement. I really dig this app even with its shortcomings in areas

StudioOnePro 6.6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.4.1

iMac 2013
by Lawrence on Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:41 pm
Yeah, it's kinda like breaking up with Halle Berry and dating Denise Richards, it's a pretty big win-win either way. :lol:

Studio One may quite literally never catch up with Cubase's 30 year midi head start and really quite deep midi functions so anyone actually expecting that anytime soon... I have some penny stocks and a couple of really nice bridges for sale, PM me. :mrgreen:
by marktwine on Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:42 am
shanabit wrote Midi in Cubase still rules but Im sure S1 v3 will be an improvement.

Not singling you out Shanabit by the way....this is to all who have a similar perception or opinion.

What is it about Cubase that you think is missing in S1...(I mean I "know" what cubase has feature wise having been a hardcore Cubase user for 20+ yrs across many versions etc :o ) ). There's nothing in S1 that can't get the same job done no? Sure they take slightly different paths but the end result is very much the same, other than in S1 I can do it 10x faster!! because of it's directness.
I'm all in the box these days (though I have outboard etc) ...no need for external midi gear bar my "((mother keyboard))" :D . maybe you mean that??

To me S1 almost feels like being back on an old Atari :geek: ....but with many modern Audio & Mixing features, & the drag 'n' drop stuff is amazingly fast!!! ...it's simply a breath of fresh air!! :mrgreen:
Cubase on the other hand especially from version 7 onwards (c6.5 is good BTW) has become slower to use & the mixer is simply unusable..(I mean I can function with it).....but it's just horrible to work with & very very slow & cumbersome, especially with large track counts.

Anyway I think you get the picture that I love Studio One, just hope it doesn't go down the bloatware path in future.

Cheers Guys.

Mark.

by Lawrence on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:55 am
this is to all who have a similar perception or opinion.

What is it about Cubase that you think is missing in S1...(I mean I "know" what cubase has feature wise having been a hardcore Cubase user for 20+ yrs across many versions etc :o ) ). There's nothing in S1 that can't get the same job done no? Sure they take slightly different paths but the end result is very much the same, other than in S1 I can do it 10x faster!!

That is what is commonly referred to as fanboy cheerleading that doesn't align with reality. Not saying you are a fanboy, only saying that comments like that don't really bring anything valuable to the discussion.

While Studio One has some really clear advantages to Cubase workflow wise and feature wise as relates to audio, Cubase has midi features that by no means S1 could be "10x faster" at, Any hardcore Cubase midi user and S1 user would surely know that. People who use midi in Studio One currently have to use various workarounds for some things that are missing. You can see recent threads attesting to that.

That clear reality is not a knock on Studio One nor it's developers, it's just living in the real world with a version 2.x application where something always has to take early priority. I'm obviously one of the biggest S1 fans here but I also live in a reality where a 2.x application could never be as powerful as one who's birth was professional midi and who's had 30+ years to develop some of it.

We all love Studio One, but let's not be the kind of rabid fans that just make stuff up. ;)

Let's not be one of those daw forums that blow sunshine and rainbows up each others asses to make ourselves feel better in the daw wars, chanting "We rule!". We've all latched onto a new-ish application and there will be some things missing for some heavy duty midi power users on the midi side for some years to come... comparatively speaking. As a singular example, what the Cubase Midi Logical Editor can accomplish in a few short seconds takes long minutes in Studio One. There are many other examples... not the least of which are it's 5 or 6 discreet midi editors.

Honestly, if you are a "former 20+ year hard-core Cubase midi user" how could you not see that? Studio One doesn't even have any midi plugins yet, nor does it even have any decent midi patch / program facilities yet, or inline midi editing, or midi list editing, or drum editing, etc, etc.

On the audio side, what S1 has done so far is... frankly... amazing... for such a young product. On the midi side, if their intent is to match something like Cubase across the board, and they may have no such intent, no idea, there is still some long road to travel... for people who actually need all that.

Let's all try to live in reality. We can still love and be very productive with it without it being "the bestest ever!" at everything. :)

Signed: A "Legitimate" (as in "actual") Long Time Former Cubase Midi Power User
by shanabit on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:53 am
I think LMIKE summed my thoughts up pretty well

"Honestly, if you are a "former 20+ year hard-core Cubase midi user" how could you not see that? Studio One doesn't even have any midi plugins yet, nor does it even have any decent midi patch / program facilities yet, or inline midi editing, or midi list editing, or drum editing, etc, etc."

Those of us with hardware want the ability to 1. Change patches on the track and it rightly reflect that on external hardware. 2. We want the project we are working on to remember those patch names on the tracks for recall. Its not fun to try and remember those for each project.
The list is long and Ill leave it at that :shock:

My hardware synths have needs :mrgreen:

StudioOnePro 6.6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.4.1

iMac 2013
by shanabit on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:01 am
LMike wroteYeah, it's kinda like breaking up with Halle Berry and dating Denise Richards, it's a pretty big win-win either way. :lol:

Either one is a FINE choice LOL

Studio One may quite literally never catch up with Cubase's 30 year midi head start and really quite deep midi functions so anyone actually expecting that anytime soon... I have some penny stocks and a couple of really nice bridges for sale, PM me. :mrgreen:

I dont expect it to at all to be honest. I will work around it here somehow.

StudioOnePro 6.6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.4.1

iMac 2013
by Lawrence on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:12 am
Yes, they're both really great products. S1 clearly has some designs and features that are way better for the end user and it's obviously greatly improved on some things from Cubase, like warping and bouncing and freezing and audio parts and track folders and lots of other things that are very clearly done much, much better in Studio One.

But Cubase is still a monster of a workstation. :shock: Pretending that's not true, that Studio One beats it across the board on the "my daw kicks your daw's bleep check list" is ..., semi-delusional. :lol:

What's most often missing when the fanboys from either product battle it out in the quest for the "daw war blue ribbon" is true objectivity. I also think half the people who claim to be former Cubase power users were actually really not, based on some of their comments.

I'm also certain that a large percentage of battling fanboys from the other side who claim to know S1 very well and make long lists of it's flaws and get a heck of a lot of stuff wrong, actually don't.

Such is the daw wars. :)
by cristofe on Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:25 am
I also think half the people who claim to be former Cubase power users were actually really not, based on some of their comments.

They've made that obvious!! :lol: I would like to be able to use a single DAW and, the fact is, these days I use Studio One more than any other. It just depends on the nature of the project I'm working on. For recording bands, acoustic instruments, live performances etc.....S1 is, IMHO, unbeatable. But when it comes to more electronic in-the-box type stuff I still rely on Cubase's deep MIDI feature set and probably will for the foreseeable future. :mrgreen:

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by marktwine on Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:18 am
That's just it though, they are just "composing aids" & "tools."

Give me just a piano roll, some theory & a midi controller...what else does one need, THAT'S my POINT! :lol:

Maybe I come across as bit of a fanboy ..but f**k it, I think S1 is the dogs bollocks, so what :D .

Cheers guys.

End of the day...just my opinion of course

I "really" have been doing this a long time :)

http://www.mtmusic.co.uk

by Lawrence on Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:39 am
what else does one need,

Some things that aren't there yet, some previously mentioned in detail.

Obviously, you don't personally have to buy 3.0 or 4.0 or 5.0, it's not mandatory, if you're happy with 2.6.4 and don't need anything else, you can stay there for the duration and just be happy, and not pay for any new stuff you don't need.

Nothing wrong with that. Use the money you save for new plugins or whatever. :)

I do think if you suggest that nobody else should ever need anything that you don't personally need you might get some minor pushback though. :)

Or ...we can just tell the developers to pack it all up, call it a wrap, because you don't need anything else so their job here is done. :mrgreen:
by marktwine on Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:44 pm
LMike wrote
I do think if you suggest that nobody else should ever need anything that you don't personally need you might get some minor pushback though. :)

Fair enough, though my intentions were to state my own personal needs, I never said all should bow to my will muhahaha. :twisted: :lol:

LMike wrote Or ...we can just tell the developers to pack it all up, call it a wrap, because you don't need anything else so their job here is done. :mrgreen:

I'm very much up for future development, never said other wise, just don't want it turning into a piece of bloated software that somethings have - imo

Also "imo" the mixer in Cubase 7 is a large step backwards, it's horrendous to work with..(I understand some love it though)

Cheers.

Mark.

by shanabit on Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:24 pm
@Mark, agreed on Cubase mixer, its a clickerfest at best

Ill take bug fixes over bloat any day here as well

StudioOnePro 6.6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.4.1

iMac 2013
by Lawrence on Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:42 pm
Fair enough, though my intentions were to state my own personal needs,

Well... you actually did say "what else does one need" after I'd already previously listed some things people may need, so you seemed to be suggesting something else entirely. :lol:

But it's all good, all the smileys there from me were ... well... coveying the intent of my reply, mostly in fun. ;)

Cheers Mark.
by marktwine on Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:19 pm
That's the thing with the inter-web, text-ing etc , in the age of communication, the emotion/meaning gets lost in translation, :) ...if we were all having this conversation face to face around a table drinking a few beers or whatever, we'd all see that you could use any DAW to get the job done & that everybody bleep, showers & shaves :lol: :lol:

All the best.

Mark.

21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2