9 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello Studio One Gang!

RE: Studio One Professional 4

When recording with my keyboard (Yamaha Stage Piano CP33) in midi mode, the notes sound fine going in, but when I play them back, they are all shortened to staccato notes -- even though they appear sustained in the edit screen. And this is not a pedal issue, for I'm talking about sustained notes that are held down by my fingers.

If I put in the notes manually with my mouse, they sustain fine, but when inserting them with my keyboard, they are cut short. I noticed that another Studio One 4 user is reporting the same issue, and his keyboard is different than mine. Does anyone have any information or solutions regarding this issue?

Thanks!

David
DavidBurke101@gmail.com
by Tacman7 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:32 pm
If you click on a note then drag it, is there another note underneath it?

Some kind of loop or something? You have regular inputs and emulated inputs?

I've also had problems with a second recorded note that's really short. Seems like there was a way to remove the short notes.

Is that through the usb port? Install Yamaha generic midi driver?

Studio OnePro 4 64bit Win10 i7 7700k 16gb ram
1TB SSD AsusH270M-PLUS interface:StudioKonnekt 48
Melodyne Studio
Where 'IS' Shitcreek? and
'WHY' would you go there without a paddle?
by robertgray3 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:58 pm
Off the top of my head sounds like it could be double notes that are short. One of my keyboards did that when hooked up over USB. Select the area and use the action “Delete Notes”. It has a slider to select short notes, it’s under Musical Functions when you right click in the Music Editor I think.

Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.6
MacBook Pro 15" Mid-2014
by Jemusic on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:09 pm
Or more importantly you may be recording two notes at once for some reason due to some sort of midi feedback loop etc. I would be hunting that down. You should only be recording single notes at a time and not need to remove double notes.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4
iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface and Scarlett 18i20

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas - Eleanor Roosevelt

https://soundcloud.com/jeff-evans
by bradch00 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:31 pm
I have experienced this with my Nektar LX88 once in a while, if the sustain pedal is on/down, notes sustain until the pedal is released, however if sustain is off/up, notes play staccato no matter how long the note is held.

2015 iMac 5K Retina (i7 4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive)
Interface: Antelope Audio Zen-Studio, Black Lion (Red) Sparrow A/D
Control Surface: Faderport & Faderport 8
by davidburke1 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:09 am
Hey Bradch00,
How did you fix it?
by bradch00 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:41 pm
I still haven’t figured out why it happens. The sessions where it happens are still doing it, however when I removed the LX88 as a controller and restarted S1, which then restores the LX88 as an instrument, new sessions were normal.

2015 iMac 5K Retina (i7 4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive)
Interface: Antelope Audio Zen-Studio, Black Lion (Red) Sparrow A/D
Control Surface: Faderport & Faderport 8
by Jemusic on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:58 pm
One obvious place to start is look at your midi signal flow. For instance if your controller is sending data into Studio One fine that is all good. It means it is being received. But if you have say input monitoring enabled and you have got that very same track set to send data back out to your controller again (which also may be a synth in this case) then that synth is going to get two midi notes being presented to it every time you play a note. Some synths might pass the incoming data back out to the midi out hence the double notes etc.

So what are you using as a controller. What is the keyboard? You can check your keyboard operation because some of them let you decide what the MIDI OUT will actually send. Then there is the issue of LOCAL ON/OFF settings within the keyboard. And Studio One's monitor status. All or a combination of these things can result in double notes reaching Studio One.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4
iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface and Scarlett 18i20

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas - Eleanor Roosevelt

https://soundcloud.com/jeff-evans
by davidburke1 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:33 am
Hi Bradch00,

Thanks for your thorough response! I managed to resolve the problem. I deleted my external devices and then re-added them. My only midi controller is a Yamaha Stage Piano CP33, which was listed a number of times but not always completely/correctly. I can only guess that when it was listed (added) completely/correctly more than once, it was sending more than one signal, thus recording more than one note. Nevertheless, the issue is fixed now with my Yamaha being the ONLY midi controller listed. Thanks again.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1