A place to share your Notion files
1 post
Page 1 of 1
A nice little holiday weekend exercise:

This is a piece originally written by Grainger for piano and mixed chorus. I don't have a chorus and I don't sing outside the shower, so I've recorded the piece with violin and cello solos.

I think exposed strings in a small ensemble are always a challenge. Here I've used Bohemian Violin and Tina Guo cello along with Ivory piano. I worked to try to make it as expressive as the composition deserves...

Let me know what you think!

phpBB [audio]

And a little more time spent on producing an extra-large version following. I used Olympia Micro-Choirs. I think they sound pretty good. Also added Spitfire Chamber Strings for a lush sul tasto doubling of the pano line, and I used an arpeggiator in Studio One to create the 1/8 note triplet decorations on the piano.

Grainger was an early proponent of electronic music, and was experimenting with synthesis at the time of this death in 1961. He was also an originator of what he called "elastic scoring" where works could be performed by ensembles of many different sizes and make-up, so I like to believe that he would approve my experiments.

Enjoy!

phpBB [audio]

iMac 27" 3.6 ghz I7 quad core 32 gb RAM Fusion Drive
macOS High Sierra 10.13
2 - 500 gb + 1 tb external SSD for sample libraries
ResidentAudio T2 Thunderbolt audio interface
Nektar Panorama P1 control surface
Nektar Impact 49-key MIDI keyboard
Focal CMS40 near-field monitors
JBL LSR310S subwoofer
Studio One 3 Pro

www.tensivity.com