49 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3
tjarkobusink wroteS1 does not import the files like Sonar does, the location remains the same. So do not delete them afterwards and this is also why I added the Media folder step. If you add or change tracks later on in the S1 project, they will be stored in the same location as the rest of the files
You can enable Studio One > Options > Locations > User Data > Ask to copy external files when saving song, to automatically copy external files to the song folder. Or you can use the context menu in the Pool to do it manually.

OS: Windows 10 Pro | HW: P9X79 • i7 3930K • 16GB • 3x EVO 860 • AMD Radeon HD6450 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by kenmatson on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:24 pm
jpettit wrote
kenmatson wrote1 week into Studio One from SONAR - doing all my (new) work in it now in my pro studio - getting very used to it very fast - working efficiently - some great features - lovin' most of it! Couple SONAR "translation" questions:

1. Any "marker view" ? - that is - a list of markers that you can jump to by clicking them - very handy with a long project (song) and lots of markers.

2- Any way to show peak markers on the wave forms for each track as it plays through (or when recording) ? I'm used to seeing a little green flag on waveform as each new peak is reached with its value displayed too - red if its a clip. I know the meters will show you if a clip happens - but nice to know where!

3 - What do you guys call that main view where the tracks and wave forms are? We called it the "Track View" or "Track Window" - but haven't seen that term around here?

4 - anyway to easily horizontally scroll in track or console windows? I find it tedious to have to position over the little scroll bar area - anything like key combo and click and drag to scroll with velocity?

5 - related - any way with key shortcut to quickly center the track view to the play cursor?

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

I will update the OP quick comparison as I have time so look there first.
1) Yes Marker track
2) No please add FR
3) Track view = Arranger View (most call it the track view)
4) Arrow keys can also be sued to scroll
5) S1 has auto scroll see icon on top bar.

1- no not the marker track -a separate little window with an actual list of all the markers - trying to find a way to paste a picture in here to show you ...

2 - Ok

3 - sounds good

4 - will see what I can figure out

5 - no not autoscroll - I mean - suppose the transport is stopped and the play cursor is way over on the left. Now I want to hit a hot key and "snap" to where that is in the center. That's what I mean.

THANKS!

by garryknight on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:43 pm
jpettit wrote
kenmatson wrote4 - anyway to easily horizontally scroll in track or console windows? I find it tedious to have to position over the little scroll bar area - anything like key combo and click and drag to scroll with velocity?

4) Arrow keys can also be sued to scroll

You can scroll the track window (Arrangement) by clicking and dragging the timeline above it.

Garry Knight
Studio One 3 Professional
Melodyne Editor 4, NI Komplete 11
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, Core i5
Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Core i7, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD
Nektar Impact LX49+, Samson Graphite 25, and Korg microKey 25 MIDI controllers
Novation ZeRO SL MkII mixing control surface
Korg nanoKontrol 2 mixing control surface
Reaper, Bitwig 8-Track. FL Studio Mobile 3, Stagelight
https://soundcloud.com/garryknight
by andymorris2 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:04 pm
jpettit wroteKey terms;
[*] Bus = a summing channel found only in the mixer

This had me worried for a minute...

I use automation a lot on my Busses, either to automate FX parameters, or send levels, for instance.

So I thought, if a buss is only visible in Console (Mixer) view, how, then, do I create automation lanes for a buss.

So I opened Studio One and had a play...

I noticed that in Track view you can add an Automation track. At first I wondered what this was for as you can add automation lanes for each track anyway, so why would you need an Automation track.

That is the answer, then... Any automation "event" can be added to an Automation track. Even for different items, so I could, if I wanted to, create one Automation track and put everything in there. That said, I would rather create an Automation track that would be dedicated to a particular channel and call it the same as the channel name.

Just thinking aloud here peeps, learning as I play, so if I seem to be heading in the wrong direction here I'd appreciate a poke in the eye :D

cheers

andy

Home Page | SoundCloud | Bandcamp

Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum | |Studio One Pro | Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
by tjarkobusink on Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:57 pm
niles wrote
tjarkobusink wroteS1 does not import the files like Sonar does, the location remains the same. So do not delete them afterwards and this is also why I added the Media folder step. If you add or change tracks later on in the S1 project, they will be stored in the same location as the rest of the files
You can enable Studio One > Options > Locations > User Data > Ask to copy external files when saving song, to automatically copy external files to the song folder. Or you can use the context menu in the Pool to do it manually.

Ah great! Did not see that yet. :)

Application manager during office hours, musician during the weird parts of the night

Cakewalk refugee (from Cakewalk 9, 2002 until Sonar Platinum, 2017)

My album Tijd

PC with Windows 10, Intel Core i7 3,5 GHz, HyperThreading 4 cores, 24Gb memory, 500Gb SSD OS disk, 2Tb Audio disk, RME Multiface II, RME Quadmic, Fredenstein VAS Mic Pre, Atomic Amplifire, Sennheiser MD421, AKG C 414 XLII, Oktava MK12 stereo pair, Shure SM57, Novation Launchkey 25, lots of Pedulla basses and a couple of guitars
by jpettit on Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:00 pm
Not at my system but I believe you can also right mouse click the bus and click add automation track

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS:Win 10 64-bit, 12 Core i7: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 40" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24, Quantum, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6,Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro 4.0, Reaper 5.9, Sonar Platinum
by Steve Carter on Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:59 pm
4 - anyway to easily horizontally scroll in track or console windows? I find it tedious to have to position over the little scroll bar area - anything like key combo and click and drag to scroll with velocity?
[/quote]

Have you tried a touch mouse?

I have a touch mouse for both Mac & PC - very easy to scroll horizontally & vertically. Other users swear by a trackball - ymmv.

Regards...

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One Pro, Melodyne Editor 4, Vocalign Project, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope N2-O8 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by mycbeats on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:32 pm
tjarkobusink wrote
niles wrote

Ah great! Did not see that yet. :)

You can also manually copy them from Song > Copy external Files
And anything that had been previously copied but isnt being used in the song anymore can be found and deleted from Song > Remove unused files to save some space.

Events in the arranger and on different layers will be safe.

Windows 10 (1809) 64-bit, i7-4790K (Devil's Canyon), 32GB RAM, GTX 960
Presonus 192, Faderport (OG), Launchpad Pro, Akai Advance 49,
4K + Dual Touchscreens
Arturia Keystep; Behringer Model D, Neutron; Yamaha FB01, CS;
Korg Minilogue, Microkorg, MS20; Roland JP08; 800HP Eurorack
by jpettit on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:13 pm
kenmatson wrote1- no not the marker track -a separate little window with an actual list of all the markers - trying to find a way to paste a picture in here to show you ...

2 - Ok

3 - sounds good

5 - no not autoscroll - I mean - suppose the transport is stopped and the play cursor is way over on the left. Now I want to hit a hot key and "snap" to where that is in the center. That's what I mean.

THANKS!

1) Nope, they avoid pop-ups or non-modal or modeless windows like the plague. You can use the number keys to jump to markers.
4) Click+ Drag is most people first choice then Ctrl+ L/R Arrow or tabbing to transients
5) No no center cursor in the middle. Most just click the timeline to put the cursor where they want.

SPECS:Win 10 64-bit, 12 Core i7: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 40" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24, Quantum, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6,Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro 4.0, Reaper 5.9, Sonar Platinum
by kenmatson on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:04 am
jpettit wrote
kenmatson wrote1- no not the marker track -a separate little window with an actual list of all the markers - trying to find a way to paste a picture in here to show you ...

2 - Ok

3 - sounds good

THANKS!

1) Nope, they avoid pop-ups or non-modal or modeless windows like the plague. You can use the number keys to jump to markers.
4) Click+ Drag is most people first choice then Ctrl+ L/R Arrow or tabbing to transients
5) No no center cursor in the middle. Most just click the timeline to put the cursor where they want.

1 - yeah I hear you - but it might make a real nice new tab under the browser - the "Markers Tab". The marker track and keys to move along only help so much. If I've got a 2 and a half hour project ... uh ... I mean "Song" LOL ,,, with dozens of markers spread across it - well - you see why a list is needed! The list would show the marker by name - it's location - and let you jump to it by clicking on it and rename it by double clicking.

4 - I'm getting it figured out - re-routed some key shortcuts - getting there.

5 - I'm not just trying to center just the cursor - I'm trying to center the DATA - the part of the song - that's under the cursor -

THANKS!

by Lawrence on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:43 am
5 - I'm not just trying to center just the cursor - I'm trying to center the DATA - the part of the song - that's under the cursor -

It can probably be done with a macro. I'm a big believer in not waiting for things that may already be reasonably possible with macros. Let's examine it logically.

1. You hit stop and the play cursor is at bar 40, whatever, near the right edge of the screen, and you want to center the view around that location, hit a key to put bar 40 and the cursor in the middle of the screen. Ok. That's the goal.

2. We already know for certain that there's no built in command for that so the only logical way to get anywhere near there will moist likely be horizontal zoom, and for a horizontal zoom to center the cursor location on the screen, the area being zoomed horizontally would need to have the cursor at it's center.

3. Create a macro that creates a selection range from say ... 8 bars before the cursor to 8 bars after the cursor location ... and horizontally zoom to it, which should center it on the screen. Bind that macro to a key, hit it, and it should pretty much center the view where the play cursor is. If you want it wider, go 16-24 bars both ways. Keeping the exact same horizontal view size is most likely not an option in this case.

I haven't tried it but it may work. I'll give it a try later and if it works, I'll post it.
by Bbd on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:46 am
For Markers, you can:

1. Create Arranger sections from markers or markers from Arranger sections.
2. Use Transport (Main Menu) and select Go To Marker to see a list of markers to select from.

Bbd

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 4.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 16GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM
by jpettit on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:54 am
Yes thanks I was going to mention this morning the arranger track does have the list he is looking for.

by Lawrence on Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:07 am
Here ya go, Center Cursor Location. Those first commands have to fire twice to be reliable. It centers the play cursor area around a 16 bar range. If you want to change it, rewind 16, forward 32, etc, to center it around a 32 bar range.

I'm posting the image instead of the macro so that you new Sonar guys can get accustomed to fishing in Studio One, not being handed fish. :)

by kenmatson on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:34 am
Thanks for the Macro! I'll try it - middle of a session right now - so likely Monday - but thanks!

by garryknight on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:14 pm
kenmatson wrote4 - anyway to easily horizontally scroll in track or console windows? I find it tedious to have to position over the little scroll bar area - anything like key combo and click and drag to scroll with velocity?

Just remembered this one: if you can manage to get the pointer over the scroll bar (and yes, it should be bigger, IMO) you can use the mouse wheel (if you have one) to scroll, where forward = earlier in the timeline and backward = later.

BUT, you don't need to hover over the (tiny, tiny) scroll bar. Just put your mouse pointer anywhere in the Arrangement, hold down the Shift key and use the mouse wheel to scroll the whole Arrangement left and right.

Mouse wheel on its own (with no keys held down) scrolls the Arrangement up and down, if there are any tracks off the bottom of the window.

You can also use Ctrl+mouse wheel to zoom in and out vertically, and Shift+Ctrl+mouse wheel to zoom in and out horizontally.

So, if you've got a mouse wheel: You're welcome :D
If you haven't: Oh, sorry about that :(

Garry Knight
Studio One 3 Professional
Melodyne Editor 4, NI Komplete 11
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, Core i5
Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Core i7, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD
Nektar Impact LX49+, Samson Graphite 25, and Korg microKey 25 MIDI controllers
Novation ZeRO SL MkII mixing control surface
Korg nanoKontrol 2 mixing control surface
Reaper, Bitwig 8-Track. FL Studio Mobile 3, Stagelight
https://soundcloud.com/garryknight
by josalbertofuentespozo on Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:32 pm
Hi guys! thank you for all the kindness and warm welcome to us, just want to share something, i use a Novation Launchkey 61 as a HUI controller, when i change between channel groups in the mixer (to control faders, knobs and that kind of stuff), i don't have a visual cue on the mixer, i don't know where i am, if some of you ex Sonarians use HUI MIDI controllers like me, you can open a little window on the upper left of S1, before the arrow and range tool. There you can choose your controller (in my case HUI) then a window will appear giving you visual feedback about the actual channel group you are working on.

I wish that feedback could be on the mixer itself like SONAR but no big deal, maybe in future updates could be better integrated on the mixer.

Hope my little discover help a new S1 explorer like me.

Cheers

Alberto.
by themuzic on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:51 pm
tjarkobusink wroteBy the way, I love S1! Got accustomed to it very quickly, very intuitive and well performing. :)

Only thing I don't understand yet though is...

In the past 15 years I got used to Sound On Sound punching in: I simply placed the cursor just a bar before the punch in spot, then hit record with an armed track, recorded the part, and slip edited the newly recorded clip next to the previous clip. In S1 the signal of the clip before the punch in spot stops playing the moment I hit record. The only way to get around it, is selecting the punch in area, and do it that way. I noticed one can choose Replace or Overdub, but in Overdub the signal of the previous clip is still cut off the moment I hit record.

I will try to do a video on Punching in Studio One tonight on both Auto Punch and using the Pre-Roll.

johnny
by themuzic on Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:26 pm
josalbertofuentespozo wroteHi guys! thank you for all the kindness and warm welcome to us, just want to share something, i use a Novation Launchkey 61 as a HUI controller, when i change between channel groups in the mixer (to control faders, knobs and that kind of stuff), i don't have a visual cue on the mixer, i don't know where i am, if some of you ex Sonarians use HUI MIDI controllers like me, you can open a little window on the upper left of S1, before the arrow and range tool. There you can choose your controller (in my case HUI) then a window will appear giving you visual feedback about the actual channel group you are working on.

I wish that feedback could be on the mixer itself like SONAR but no big deal, maybe in future updates could be better integrated on the mixer.

Hope my little discover help a new S1 explorer like me.

Cheers

Alberto.

What mixer are you using? There is the ability to send controller feedback to some controllers.

johnny
by daniellesaux on Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:40 pm
Sonar refugee here! ;) No particular question. Just thanks for the warm welcome and all the tips and help.

Peace!

Dan

PreSonus Studio One Professional 4.1.4
Windows 10 64 bit
Studiocat Skylake Desktop PC with Intel i7 6700k processor @ 4.20 GHz / 16G RAM
Intel HD Graphics 530
Toshiba HDWD110 1TB System Drive, Toshiba HDWD110 1TB Audio File Drive, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB Samples Drive, Seagate BUP Slim BK 2TB USB Backup Drive
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface and Cakewalk UM-2G Midi Interface
Check out my website http://www.daniel-lesaux.com

49 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3