Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
4 posts
Page 1 of 1
I want to try and use Notion for a children's theater production. The ability to jump out of vamps and jump to measures is amazing. I remember from the last forum, someone had a screenshot of Sunset Blvd and they had put the whole act in one file - separated by Rehearsal Marks which I'm going to do. Any other tips from anyone who's used it in a performance?
by jasonstein on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:59 pm
I just completed using Notion 6 in performances of La Boheme for my professional opera company. I've done this a lot, that is to say, accompany Live singers using Notion.

I have lots of things I can tell you, and have never really written them down.

My setup:
I use the Presonus AudioBox USB 96 as my audio interface - and a two octave USB MIDI keyboard as my triggering mechanism - instead of the computer keyboard. I have a large 21 inch monitor.

All of the work is really done beforehand. That is to say all of the "real" work. Punching in the notes is only a portion of it. I use "Rules" to make sure that the fff and ffff parts are not too loud and the ppp and pppp parts aren't too soft.

Plus, even with Puccini's wonderful score, I had to make certain changes so that some of the parts were a different dynamic.

Remember with dynamics that you always have to have a target - you can't just put in hairpins without a target dynamic at the end.

Also, don't worry about putting anything in that doesn't make a difference in Notion. Like Upbow/downbow. Obviously, if it were a real string player, they would want that, but in Notion, there is no sound change, so ignore it. Also, ignore the tempo changes (rit. accel.) in the parts - just put it into the NTempo staff.

Regarding the NTempo staff, if the music is very slow, don't be afraid of tapping eighths or triplets, or whatever is necessary to make it sound good.

Please ask me anything else that might come up if you have a question.

--Jason
by bjorndobbelaere1 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:01 pm
@Jason,
Is your keyboard connected through USB directly into your PC, or MIDI cables to the presonus interface?
I’m trying to trigger Notion with an AKAI drumpad, but no luck. MIDI maps are set correctly, MIDI I/O correct as well. Just no triggering ... I’m lost.
by jasonstein on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:00 pm
Yes, my keyboard is directly connected to the computer via USB. However, I could also connect it via MIDI cables through my Audio Interface - which is a PreSonus AudioBox USB.

Sorry, it's been a long time since you wrote this, but I just saw this.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1