Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
1 post
Page 1 of 1
Recently, as in less than 24 hours ago, I discovered what one might call a cornucopia of information about SoundFonts (.sf2); variants of the ARIA Player; and cathedral pipe organs (or as we like to call them, "really big air pianos") . . .

As many folks know, by virtue of my All-Seeing, All-Knowing Third Eye who goes by the moniker "Fantabulo", I usually am able to answer nearly any question posed to me on any subject, including the location of the missing Mirror Matter Popcorn that the Aliens From Outer Space "misplaced" while they were on what they had every reason to believe would be a happy picnic held in the desert outside Roswell, New Mexico in the late-1940s, something we now know was far from the truth . . .

The Aliens From Outer Space at this very moment are circling the planet in low-Earth orbit as they search frantically for the missing Mirror Matter Popcorn that is the fuel for their Hilbert Space Hopper Drive and as such is the key to their ability to travel throughout the universe . . .

Normally, if someone asked where one might find a SoundFont for a cathedral pipe organ and a SoundFont player that plays such a SoundFont in NOTION 6, the Aliens From Outer Space would beam the relevant information directly into my brain via the miniature quantum shortwave communication device they installed in my brain when they first probed me many years ago--specifically sometime in the late-1970s when DISCO was all the rage--but this is not what happened recently, perhaps due in part to my being focused rather intently on composing a new song for my Asymmetric Demi-Melodic Death Metal Nouveau musical group, KnightKocK . . .

Explained another way, it was as if I were in a dream, and while I experienced reality on many levels--some which definitely were metaphysical--Fantabulo was not fully on the job, so to speak, but so what . . .

I now have the information, and I think it's sufficiently useful to be presented in its own topic, even though I provided most the information in another topic . . .

This is the information, augmented by a few observations . . .

There is a VSTi virtual instrument plug-in that plays SoundFont sampled sound libraries, and it works nicely here in the sound isolation studio on the 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro (Early 2008) with 32GB of system memory running Mac OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and NOTION 6 running in 64-bit mode, of course . . .

The VSTi virtual instrument is available in Mac and Windows versions, so I think this can provide a nice solution for expanding one's virtual cathedral pipe organ footprint . . .

"sforzando" is the VSTi virtual instrument plug-in, and you can download it at the following link, where you will find the Mac and Windows flavors . . .

[NOTE: The link is found at the bottom of the page, so scroll downward to find it . . . ]

sforzando (Plogue Art et Technologie, Inc.)

Plogue Art et Technologie, Inc. is a French Canadian company, and as such they have a dual-language website, where one option is "Français" and the other option is "English" . . .

You will find some pipe organ SoundFont libraries at this link, which is a different website . . .

Lars Virtual Pipe Organs ~ jOrgan/sf2 versions

I downloaded and installed the sforzando VSTi virtual plug-in and enabled it as a VSTi virtual instrument plug-in in the NOTION 6 Plug-in Manager . . . .

Then after the SoundFont I downloaded expanded automagically via StuffIt, I located the respective ".sf2" SoundFont file and loaded it into the sforzando VSTi virtual instrument plug-in, at which time an ARIA utility did the required sampled sounds conversion; saved them to a folder I specified; and then loaded the sampled sounds into the sforzando VSTi virtual instrument plug-in that I specified for use in NOTION 6 Score Setup for a staff, done via "VST Instruments" . . .

This is the GUI for the VSTi virtual instrument plug-in when used in NOTION 6, and I think it's based on the ARIA Player . . .

[NOTE: There are additional views or "panes" for this player, and they are provided to work with various options, parameters, and effects, but only the primary view or "pane" is shown in this image . . . ]

This is one of the SoundFont pipe organ sampled sound libraries that I tested . . .

[NOTE: it's not going to look like this when loaded into the sforzando player, since the sforzando player has a different graphic user interface (GUI) design, but all the relevant stuff is there in one way or another, so it's all good . . . ]

There are other SoundFont cathedral pipe organ sampled sound libraries found at the Lars Virtual Pipe Organ website, and this particular set of SoundFont cathedral pipe organ sampled sound libraries is provided by Stratman Virtual Instruments in their "Swedish Organ Series" . . .

Swedish Organ Series (Stratman Virtual Instruments)

There are pipe organ sampled sound libraries from other locations than Sweden, so it's useful to do a bit of browsing to discover what's available . . .

As best as I can determine at present the "jOrgan" technology versions include separate SoundFont files, and it's the SoundFont files (.sf2) that you want to load into the sforzando player . . .

There are a few things that might be a bit confusing for folks who have not yet made sense of the way everything is arranged and located in the Mac OS X infrastructure, but it's not difficult once you know where to look and what to do . . .

Summarizing, I think this maps to a virtual festival of cathedral pipe organs from all over the planet, and based on the aforementioned experiment with one of the pipe organ SoundFont sampled sound libraries and the sforzando player, this looks to work nicely with NOTION 6 on the Mac and probably with NOTION 6 in the Windows universe . . .

There are a group of folks who we might call "virtual cathedral pipe organ aficionados", and they have assembled a cornucopia of cathedral pipe organ SoundFonts, most of which are free, as is the modified and enhanced ARIA Player . . .

These "aficionados" are like bees, and their cathedral pipe organ SoundFonts are like honey which we can taste and enjoy in our musical compositions . .

Here in the sound isolation studio we think every song is improved by a bit of cathedral pipe organ, which is fabulous . . . .

phpBB [video]

Fabulous :)

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!

1 post
Page 1 of 1