10 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have an instrument part where I want to create a pong delay effect on the last note of the MIDI clip. Splitting the events and assigning an Event fX to the last note would be the best option, but you can't assign Event fX to instrument parts.

So I added a delay as an Insert FX to the track and then automated the "Bypass" so that just the last note isn't bypassed. Unfortunately, when the bypass turns off, the delay effect is also sounding the previous notes. This makes sense because the effect is basically still processing the track when it's bypassed, and it just becomes audible when the bypass is turned off.

I tried moving the last note to a separate track and sending to the instrument, but this doesn't help because if I add an effect it will add it to both tracks still (won't let me violate the "No Event FX" rule).

Anyway, there has to be an easy way to do this. I don't really want to use a separate fX channel and send. I also don't want to load a whole new instance of the synth just to add the delay effect. Is there some easy way to do this?

Computer: Dell Laptop, Intel i7-5500, 8GB Ram, Win 10 64-bit
DAWS: Studio One 3 Professional, Sonar Platinum, Reaper
Audio: Focusrite 18i8 USB 2.0 Interface, M-Audio BX5a Monitors
Keyboards: Korg Kronos 2-88, Alesis VI25 Keyboard, Yamaha P-115
by garryknight on Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:16 pm
Automate the on/off rather than the bypass?

Garry Knight
Studio One 3 Professional
Melodyne Editor 4, NI Komplete 11
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, Core i5
Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Core i7, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD
Nektar Impact LX49+, Samson Graphite 25, and Korg microKey 25 MIDI controllers
Novation ZeRO SL MkII mixing control surface
Korg nanoKontrol 2 mixing control surface
Reaper, Logic Pro X, GarageBand
https://soundcloud.com/garryknight
by rlared on Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:19 pm
Unfortunately, can't automate on/off.

by johnnewberry on Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:47 pm
Add MIDI notes for the delay sounds.

Copy and paste additional MIDI notes after the original note for the delayed sounds.
As for the volume level and tail of the delayed notes, reduce the velocity, expression and or volume levels using continuous controllers as a fadeout.
Reset the levels after the delay effect if the music is to continue.

,Newberry

:arrow:
by rlared on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:02 pm
I didn't totally understand that. Are you saying that I should basically simulate a delay effect by copying and pasting additional MIDI notes and use volume automation to fade out the additional notes? If so, that's a good idea.

It's a bit of a workaround, as I'd have to add pan automation for ping-pong delay, etc. But, it will get the job done. Thanks!

by Skaperverket on Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:59 am
Stuff like this is usually reserved for mixing, and mixing is usually done after instrument tracks have been transformed to audio, and audio tracks are easier to handle for cases like this. Personally, I would render the instrument and copy the last note (audio) to a separate track with a delay insert on it, or I would use event fx on this new region, but automating a send is the best way if you don't want to render anything (or copy the whole instrument), and automation is super easy.

You can create the send and return channel by dragging the plugin from the browser and into the send area of your instrument. An automation track can be created simply by touching the parameter and then pressing the "A" box in the cobtrol link window in the upper left hand corner of the DAW. I know you were looking for something easier, but this is actually quite easy once you've found a routine for it, and it's well worth implementing.
by niles on Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:50 am
rlared wroteUnfortunately, can't automate on/off.
Garryknight is referring to automating the send itself (Send Mute).

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by Tacman7 on Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:00 am
I had an Akai box once that was a midi delay.

So repeated the notes fading out somehow.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by garryknight on Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:06 am
niles wrote
rlared wroteUnfortunately, can't automate on/off.
Garryknight is referring to automating the send itself (Send Mute).

Thanks, Niles. I could have phrased that better. :roll:

Garry Knight
Studio One 3 Professional
Melodyne Editor 4, NI Komplete 11
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, Core i5
Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Core i7, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD
Nektar Impact LX49+, Samson Graphite 25, and Korg microKey 25 MIDI controllers
Novation ZeRO SL MkII mixing control surface
Korg nanoKontrol 2 mixing control surface
Reaper, Logic Pro X, GarageBand
https://soundcloud.com/garryknight
by rlared on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:09 am
Skaperverket wroteStuff like this is usually reserved for mixing, and mixing is usually done after instrument tracks have been transformed to audio, and audio tracks are easier to handle for cases like this. Personally, I would render the instrument and copy the last note (audio) to a separate track with a delay insert on it, or I would use event fx on this new region, but automating a send is the best way if you don't want to render anything (or copy the whole instrument), and automation is super easy.

You can create the send and return channel by dragging the plugin from the browser and into the send area of your instrument. An automation track can be created simply by touching the parameter and then pressing the "A" box in the cobtrol link window in the upper left hand corner of the DAW. I know you were looking for something easier, but this is actually quite easy once you've found a routine for it, and it's well worth implementing.

OK actually this sounds pretty easy, I'll give it a shot. I like this better than the idea of adding additionally MIDI notes. Thanks!

10 posts
Page 1 of 1