i understand the low freq dial reduces the bass freq's below 100Hz by up to -6dB. but how much is this, in say, %? does setting the dial to -6dB cut freq's below 100Hz by 100%, or can anyone shed any light as to how much in percentage the maximum does reduce by?
many thanks indeed
Its not a percentage. The db reduction is measured from the top of the frequency response of the material being played. The knob is a shelving eq that will reduce from 100hz on down.
Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor
StarTech EC13942 34mm Expresscard
S1Pro V2 , Melodyne Studio 4, Nomad Factory Studio Bundle, Waves , RM16, Studio 192, DP88, Faderport, Central Station Plus, Yamaha HS50 Monitors, Sceptre 6-8 Monitors, Temblor 10.
thanks for the response, i understand the dial will gradually reduce the sub 100Hz frequencies by a maximum of -6dB, but i'd like to know in laymans terms what kind of percentage the reduction of sub 100Hz frequencies is. so if i reduce the sub 100Hz frequencies to the maximum of -6dB, does this cut say 100% of the sub 100Hz frequencies, or reduce them by say 70% leaving 30% audible. sorry, it's just that a cut of -6dB means nothing to me. i don't know how much of a reduction this is of the sub 100Hz freq's. (i know it's not an acutal percentage, but would just like it expressed that way as an approximation)
basically, i'm thinking of getting a subwoofer and i would like to (if possible) cut all frequencies below 100Hz, then i can just set the crossover point of the subwoofer @ 100Hz and adjust the gain/volume to suit the speakers volume. this would relieve the speakers of all frequencies below 100Hz and have the subwoofer take the load.
that's why i would like to know by how much the -6dB reduction equates to....
again though, thanks for your response, hoping more will come
In laymans terms -6db will approx. halve the perceived volume.
But, don't turn it right down just because you've connected a subwoofer, it will also remove frequencies well above 100Hz which you need to keep. Again in laymans terms, 100Hz is the thud of a kick drum, or the low end of a bass guitar but that control will affect maybe as high as 250Hz which is the low end of voices or guitars and pianos. A subwoofer won't compensate for loosing those frequencies....
As a general guide, just connect your sub, turn it up until it sounds "nice" to you, then maybe fine tune by using that bass control in SMALL amounts... A subwoofer is intended to add to and extend the bass range down to frequencies that you main speakers can't normally reproduce, it's not meant as a replacement for the woofers in your main speakers.
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
Dante Level2 certified.
Karyn wroteIn laymans terms -6db will approx. halve the perceived volume.
that's great, many thanks indeed, very informative
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests