5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Greetings PreSonus Pros!

I have Studio One Professional 2, coupled with Melodyne Studio 4. I'm about to buy a new PC, but need advice on what level to get to run these programs optimally. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

David
by scottmoncrieff on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:29 am
davidburke1 wroteGreetings PreSonus Pros!

I have Studio One Professional 2, coupled with Melodyne Studio 4. I'm about to buy a new PC, but need advice on what level to get to run these programs optimally. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

David

Any Quadcore based PC released in the past 6 years ( preferably Intel based), with at least 6 to 8 gigs of ram, ( ideally 16 gigs or more), Windows 7 64 bit, or higher and a 24 bit Audio Interface with low latency drivers (preferably an external unit as they give you greater flexibility).

Look at other forum users signitures to get an idea of the specifics on gear.

Whatever you choose, remember there is a limit on how much your computer will handle whatever spec you choose.

I recommend you choose the components and have a friend help you build it if you're not into self build, other options are there but remember this would be factored into additional cost.

If you require more information on PC kit look here.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/

THE INTRANCER- Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist |- Full Orchestral -Trance - Ambient - Film Scores 27 on S-Cloud 7000+genuine plays | 16 on S-Click | Studio One 3 Concept Re-Designs - Sample One XT | Reason X | S-O-3 Pro | Reaktor 6.0 | Reason 7 | C4D | CS6 |Win 7 64 Bit-Intel I7 [email protected],Focusrite Pro 14, ATH M50's, Casio XW P1&G1 Producer 20+ years - FOH - UK Stadium / Festivals) >>Studio One 3D GUI's<<
by timmorris on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:59 am
Or just get a Mac...;-)

Presonus 16.4.2 - Mac mini 2.3G i7, 16G Ram, Faderport - S1 -3 Pro
Novation Impulse 49 - Yamaha HS7 - Kemper Profiler -
SE 3300 - SE2200 - SE Reflexion - EBMM AAxis super sport - Taylor 414CE - PRS 513.
by Bub on Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:17 pm
And let the games begin ... ;)

I wouldn't build a PC with anything less than 16GB of Kingston RAM and an Nvidia video card with no less than 4GB of onboard memory with multi-monitor support.

Do not overclock anything.

DAW's are all about stability. If you want to run your PC at blazing speeds, buy blazing fast RAM. Overclocking creates more heat, fans run more, case is more noisy, more unstable, and you void warranties.

Pick a CPU. I wouldn't consider anything below the Intel 4790K CPU now. I'm looking at the 5000 series for my next build but that puts you in to a different type of socket and it costs quite a bit more.

Don't go building a brand new system around a 6 year old CPU please. You'll be back in a few days after it's built wondering why Mai Tai is spiking your #1 CPU core causing dropouts and Melodyne is only using cores 3 and 4. There's internal software elements of CPU's that S1 takes advantage of that some older CPU's don't have. S1 will work on those CPU's but not as well.

When you pick out your CPU go to Intel's web site and see which motherboards have been tested with it. They have a nice section of their site dedicated to this.

Pick one of those motherboards and download it's manual and see which Kingston RAM has been tested with that motherboard. Kingston has been rock solid for me and that's all I even consider using anymore.

Find some Kingston RAM that is not overclockable. It's a bit more expensive, but it's rock solid.

At least 1 Solid State drive, preferably 2. A nice big external drive for backups, an Nvidia video card with 4GB of RAM and multiple monitor outputs for multiple monitor support, a Power Supply that is "Certified" to run your CPU of choice, case, CD burner for burning your masterpieces, and you're good to go.

The lifespan of operating systems has been greatly decreased since XP. So as much as I hate to say it, you'd probably be better of going with Windows 10.

So, the short version, pick an Intel CPU, pick a Mobo that's been tested with that CPU, pick some Kingston RAM that has been tested with that Mobo. Piece together everything else.

That's how I do it.

Good luck! Building a new PC is always a lot of fun.

Shane

Intel i7 6700k || 16GB RAM || 2 x 250GB SSD's || Win 10 Pro || Presonus Studio One Pro 5.5 || Studio 1810c || Yamaha HS-80M's || ART Pro VLA II Compressor || ART Pro MPA II Reference Series Mic Pre || Blue Bluebird Mic || The usual misc. guitars.
by henrinagelhout on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:02 pm
davidburke1 wroteGreetings PreSonus Pros!

Thanks!

David

A budget would help.
And are you buying it specifically for music recording and editing. Or is it gonna be your "home-use-for-everything-PC?

If the first and budget allows it, i would recommend a workstation level computer with an intel xeon processor and 16+Gb of RAM.
If the second and budget allows it, anything with an intel i7-processor and 16+Gb of RAM.
If the second and on a tight budget, at least something with an i5-processor with 4 cores and at least 8Gb of RAM.

If 1 computer-monitor, just go with on-board graphics, or cheap bleep dedicated graphics-card.
If multi-monitor, mid-range graphics-card (somewhere around $200,-) with a fair amount of RAM.
In that price-range the most RAM on cards you'll find nowadays is 4Gb.

Almost forgot, if it's a laptop your looking for and budget isn't an issue, a hp zbook or apple mac-book pro would be an excellent choice. When on a budget it's i5 with 8gb again.

PC: MacBook Pro 13" (2016), i5-6267U, 8Gb RAM, 512Gb SSD, macOS Big Sur 11.3.1
Interface: Audiobox iTwo | MIDI: Nektar Impact LX61 | Monitors: Eris E5 | DAW: Studio One 5.2.1 Pro
Plug-Ins: Amplitube 5, Komplete 11 Select, Melodyne 5 Editor, Superior Drummer 2.0, and various freebies

5 posts
Page 1 of 1