32 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Often I find myself of attributing certain colours to certain types of instruments by their colourised character I imagine in my head. I don't why this is, but it's somewhat like taste I think. Guitars for example would say brown to me, blue I would associate with synths and drums and percussion I would associate with red almost always.

However with so many instruments which are synths for example, there are only so few shades in Studio One, some shades are barley indistinguishable from each other but that's another story on a similar subject.

Evidently though if one is going to use the same limited colour set for a certain categorisation of instruments, the grouping of sections of an arrangement is much more difficult to manage and identify because you have less choice of colours to choose from for other parts.

If you choose the grouping option such as synths, drum sort of category system then it makes it much harder to identify individual tracks for example if they are in a grouped folder.

A much better and immediate way to mark, classify, categorise and search for tracks without the need of opening submenu panals and trying to fiddle around with tiny damn dots to view tracks really needs implented I feel to streamline the process of track management. Something like the tag system of the browser with a search field, and hay what about having actual different coloured tags on tracks so they can be more easily identified in a 50 to 100 + track as well ?

My original post intention was to ask users how they associate colours to certain instruments and the method they used however as you've may have just read, it's developed more into a feature request sort of discussion thread, and with that I've reworded the heading from that of the original I had, but anyway... I think I've raised a few discussion points in my post for you to pick up on anyways.

THE INTRANCER- Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist |- Full Orchestral -Trance - Ambient - Film Scores 27 on S-Cloud 7000+genuine plays | 16 on S-Click | Studio One 3 Concept Re-Designs - Sample One XT | Reason X | S-O-3 Pro | Reaktor 6.0 | Reason 7 | C4D | CS6 |Win 7 64 Bit-Intel I7 [email protected],Focusrite Pro 14, ATH M50's, Casio XW P1&G1 Producer 20+ years - FOH - UK Stadium / Festivals) >>Studio One 3D GUI's<<
by garryknight on Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:01 pm
What you're talking about is known as synaesthesia (British spelling). Parts of your brain are wired up in such a way that certain sounds evoke certain colours. I'm also a synaesthete. But for me, bass is brown, piano is somewhere between cyan and blue, drum sounds are from white to dark grey, and so on. I've already requested more colours - a complete colour wheel would be best, IMO - for exactly this reason.

Garry Knight
Studio One 3 Professional
Melodyne Editor 4, NI Komplete 11
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, Core i5
Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Core i7, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD
Nektar Impact LX49+, Samson Graphite 25, and Korg microKey 25 MIDI controllers
Novation ZeRO SL MkII mixing control surface
Korg nanoKontrol 2 mixing control surface
Reaper, Logic Pro X, GarageBand
https://soundcloud.com/garryknight
by Steve Carter on Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:12 am
I colour tracks for instrument identity purposes but not because I imagine colours for different sounds (guess my brain is missing that connection and probably quite a few others!), just because its a convenient way to find things more quickly.

For what it's worth (and of course it's purely subjective) ~ I use an overall colour for an instrument category and then different shades of that colour for tracks within the category (including the associated fx and buss channels) so in general I use yellow for drums/percussion, purple for bass, blue for guitars, red for vocals, green for piano/synth, brown for brass/woodwind and or other colours that might take my fancy - not by association.

On a more useful tack, I find that identifying fx and buss channels in the mix console, in order to differentiate between them and the audio/instrument tracks, to be visually less easy with the blue fader button not being striking enough and getting lost in the colour fest that results from using the colouring option.

Consequently I would like the facility to be able to choose whether an individual console strip/fader section has just the small (track title) panel at the bottom of the fader coloured (as per previous versions of S1) or coloured in full as per S1v3 - or, hold on to your hats here.... The option to colour the smaller bottom panel, (maybe the fader button, haven't thought that through yet!) and the main fader section separately, this would enable me to utilise a main colour to identify a buss, fx, vca fader etc (probably black, white or grey for instance) whilst colouring the small bottom panel to associate it with the instrument group... Phew - after that I might get some music recorded and mixed down ~ but more quickly ;)

Regards....

P.S. I know we can group the faders to the right of the mixer section but I don't always find that convenient.

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by jBranam on Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:31 am
one thing i wish they would do is... say you have all your drum parts as tan/brown (i always use brown for drums... drums are the base of everything so i see them as dirt lol) but again... say all your drums are grouped and colored tan... i wish that if you put them in a folder that the folder would recognize the color of the section and make itself that same color. i hate having to color all the stems in a group then when i pack them in a folder... i have to color that folder too. not a big deal... but still a drag

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by pmsezztfs on Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:06 pm
jBranam wroteone thing i wish they would do is... say you have all your drum parts as tan/brown (i always use brown for drums... drums are the base of everything so i see them as dirt lol) but again... say all your drums are grouped and colored tan... i wish that if you put them in a folder that the folder would recognize the color of the section and make itself that same color. i hate having to color all the stems in a group then when i pack them in a folder... i have to color that folder too. not a big deal... but still a drag

You can also have the Folders content (tracks) follow the Folder color. Under Studio One | Options | Advanced | Editing | Apply folder track color to content. I realize this is not the same as what you are asking but it does get to the same end result...just bass ackwards for you. ;)

Michael Morgan | pearl hour project
---------------------------------------------------------------
Intel i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz | 16G ram
Windows 10 | Studio One v3.3.1 | Live 9.6 (all software 64 bit)
RME Fireface UFX | Nektar Panorama P1 | AKAI MPK25 | M-Audio Keystation 88 I Maschine 2 | Fader Port 8 ;)
by overcoat on Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:14 pm
I'd love to see a full color wheel as well. not enough options as it is.

funny how we all see different colors for different instruments. i use green for drums, blue for pianos, yellows for guitars, red for synths, browns or oranges for bass etc...

mac mini 2.6 quad core // RME UCX // modded GAP 73 // Warm Audio WA76// Blue Reaktor, Avantone CV-12Shure SM7B, Shure SM57 & 58 mic's // Korg ms2000b // Korg Padkontrol // Novation sl-mkii // DSI Tetra // Elektron Rytm // Moog Sub 37 // '91 American deluxe strat // Squire Jaguar bass // Martin D-15M // Arturia V-collection // Komplete 9 // UVI Vintage Vault//Lots more vst's and plugs...
by jBranam on Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:18 pm
thnx mike... must have missed that. that helps a lot cheers

jay

p.s. i do stuff bass ackwards anyways :hunf:

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by Bub on Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:08 pm
I too would like to see a wider color pallet. I would also like to see the addition of icons so we can visually label tracks. I've used other software that allows you to do this and it helps me a lot, especially with larger projects.

It's interesting that some of us here associate colors to instruments the same. I always associate bass with brown but from there I seem to differ. I usually make all midi green just so I can differentiate it from audio tracks quickly.

When I hear what I consider a good mix I sort of see it in shades of grey. I hear it on a graph plane with focus directly on the x axis (horizon) in a dark gray + and - a few lines tall with it fading above and below those points from a lighter gray to white. I know it's odd but that's the best way I can describe it.

I don't hear music that way with 99% of newer commercial material, but I do on almost all recordings pre-1990-ish. I've only ever achieved it once with my own recordings and I have no idea how I did it. Craig Anderton seems to have a knack for getting that sound on some of his mixes that I've heard on youtube. I don't know if he does everything in the box but I'd sure love to be a fly on the wall in his studio some time.

Thanks,

Shane

Intel i7 6700k || 16GB RAM || 2 x 250GB SSD's || Win 10 Pro || Presonus Studio One Pro 5.5 || Studio 1810c || Yamaha HS-80M's || ART Pro VLA II Compressor || ART Pro MPA II Reference Series Mic Pre || Blue Bluebird Mic || The usual misc. guitars.
by skiltrip on Sun May 01, 2016 10:56 am
I also wish we had a color wheel. I feel pretty limited as it is. Where my colors usually fall...

Deep Blue= Drums
primary green=rhythm guitars
Lighter greens=guitar solos or overdubs
Purple=bass
Yellow=lead vocals
Other yellows=backup vocal parts
Light Blue = reverb busses
White=master channel

The rest I kinda wing it.

5,1 Mac Pro 2.4GHz 8-Core 2011 16GB RAM | 2018 MacBook Air 13" | Studio One 3.5 | Presonus 24c | Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 | Mackie 802-VLZ3
by graytermedia on Mon May 02, 2016 2:52 pm
Add to the chorus of "me too's" for more color choices.

My track colors are:

Acoustic Drums = Brown
Drum Samples = Green
Bass = Blue
Guitars = Purple (It's always been a Prince thing for me)
Keys/Synths = Yellow
Vocals = Red
BG Vox = Orange
SFX = Gray
Busses = Black

tg

Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.5.1 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Komplete S61 / Keylab 61 mkII / Studio One 6.2 / Pro Tools Studio 2023.9 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 6 / UVI Falcon / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection 9
by WaterlooSunset on Tue May 03, 2016 4:54 am
This is indeed very interesting.
Guitars - All shades of Green (What I am best at)
Vocals - Red (What I am worse at)
Drums - Blue
Bass - Brown
Kbd/Piano - purple
Percussion other (cowbell, guiro, tambourine, shakers etc) - pinkish

Win 10 latest, MSI G41 Z87, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, NVIDIA 710, 2x27" Monitors 1Tb SSD, 500G SSD, 3 platter drives. SYBA Firewire SD-PEX30009, FS Mobile. Monitor2USB, S1 Pro 5 current.
Hobbiest - Mainly Guitars, UVI, Soundtoys, NI, IK, EZ2, SD3, GR5, TH3, Amplitube 4 and 5, Waves GR,
Korg 707, NanoPAD2, MicroKey2. Eris 5, B2031A, 2013 R1200GS-LC.
by jggiano on Tue May 03, 2016 10:11 am
Color Wheel and Track Icons....great ideas! I second (or third) that motion.

Windows 10
StudioOne 4 Pro
Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL
Korg Krome 61
Ensoniq MR61
Korg MicroStation
Akai MPK mini
by GB4double on Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:05 pm
2019 and still nothing on this... whats so hard about getting more colors in a program that we pay good money for and that's now into it's 4th version... what the hell

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Model: BIOSTAR TP67XE
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3299 Mhz, 4 Core(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 4.6.4, 5/4/2012
SMBIOS: 2.7
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
Total Virtual Memory: 16.3 GB
Audio: Komplete Audio 6 WDM Audio
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (v. 9.18.13.3788)
by Jemusic on Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:37 pm
Try this:

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=34475

A free and lovely excellent macro very kindly supplied from Lawrence.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by IanM5 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:52 pm
I mostly just accept the default colours. I tend to just drag the tracks I'm working on to the top of the sequencer window or occasionally I will highlight those tracks in something that stands out, like bright red, then put them back to something drab after I've done with them.

But I would fully support more colour choices because it's an easy thing to do!

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum
by garyshepherd on Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:02 am
I have been going on about the limited colour options and the stupid order of colours in the pallette for ages. But you have to vote for this on the suggestions section of the Presonus site. At the moment this colours issue is ignored by Presonus - and yet we get loads of functions I never voted for and don't really need. Colours do not seem regarded as a serious issue - unless you vote in numbers for some of the suggestions. Vote for everything regarding colours if you want any change.

https://answers.presonus.com/3364/custom-colors

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by roland1 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:47 am
I put a sheet of clear green plastic over the screen and it gives it a whole new color vibe.

I'm kidding, Gary. I just voted for custom colors cause I like freedom of choice.

But not for everyone, mind you. Just for us "elites" in the upper crust.

:D

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by garyshepherd on Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:09 pm
roland1 wroteI put a sheet of clear green plastic over the screen and it gives it a whole new color vibe.

I'm kidding, Gary. I just voted for custom colors cause I like freedom of choice.

But not for everyone, mind you. Just for us "elites" in the upper crust.

:D

The only thing that is Elite about me is Bias FX (and they upgraded me as I was a beta tester and then they screwed up my advance order so nicely made me an Elite by way of apology). Otherwise just a prole who cannot understand how the colour palette is in the "order" it is - seemingly random:

Just putting some order of tint would help. Otherwise I have the colour toolbar which is good and have my custom colours :

But keep voting - they don't seem to respond otherwise.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by roland1 on Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:50 pm
I read a comment the other day from someone who said that most of the DAWs out there today look like toys. I agree. Only a few exceptions, like Digital Performer, etc.

And I suppose if companies want to capture a fresh market of new buyers who have never stood in slack-jawed awe before a large analog recording console, then they need to appeal to what they did grow up looking at, which are video games and dance club lighting — and people who played records instead of instruments.

Hence, the Candy Cane Color Craze thing that's infected most DAWs, including S1. And all the rest of it.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by patricemazmanian on Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:12 am
roland1 wroteI read a comment the other day from someone who said that most of the DAWs out there today look like toys. I agree. Only a few exceptions, like Digital Performer, etc.

And I suppose if companies want to capture a fresh market of new buyers who have never stood in slack-jawed awe before a large analog recording console, then they need to appeal to what they did grow up looking at, which are video games and dance club lighting — and people who played records instead of instruments.

Hence, the Candy Cane Color Craze thing that's infected most DAWs, including S1. And all the rest of it.

What you say is relevant!
Anyway, I always sucked at painting and drawing! :thumbdown:
That's why I play piano :D

S1 pro 6 -Vienna Ensemble Pro - Melodyne - Notion 6 - Win10 - jBridge 1.65 - Motherboard ASUS Z87-K - i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 32 Go RAM - GeForce GT 610 1024MB - Audio interface RME Hammerfall multiface II - Faderport - ADAT Interface Focusrite Scarlett OctoPre - EWQL hollywood-orchestra...

32 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2