Discuss using Dante, Audinate Software and Dante enabled consoles, etc.
33 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
Jason's pretty smart, and not in a shoot the room flatten out the PA kind of way.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Karyn on Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:35 am
He wears sharp suits?

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by dlm339 on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:13 pm
I just wanted to note that the Cisco SG300 switch can be configured as a Layer 3 device and then set up to be the DHCP server. I set mine up this way because I wanted as few devices as possible in my network. I do have an airport wireless router configured as an access point only on a SG300 port with multicast blocking in order to use UC Surface on ipads. As someone noted, the startup sequence is highly important. If you don't have your presonus gear plugged into a network with dhcp before powering on, it will self assign an IP on the 169.x.x.x network which will prevent devices running UC Surface from seeing it. I attempted to set a range of static IP's to prevent this issue. Most of my Dante devices allow this unfortunately Presonus devices do not allow static IP's. This would be a great feature for system reliability. I'd set my dante consoles, amps, and IEM switch on statics and then have a range of dhcp on the same subnet to host ipads and other dante devices.
by sjc193 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:16 am
dlm339 wroteMost of my Dante devices allow this unfortunately Presonus devices do not allow static IP's. This would be a great feature for system reliability.

Actually, with the latest versions of Firmware and software for the RM and AI mixers installed, you can set static IP addresses. There are a couple different option available now actually, and the timing issue has been fixed up a bit too, I believe the mixer will continue to look for DHCP and will switch IP addresses if it finds DHCP after it's booted up (unless it's set to static IP of course).

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by dlm339 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:54 am
Thanks Steve! I guess it's time to update my firmware.
by ArtTistic on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:30 pm
Hello All,
So, I just purchased a Dante card for my rm32. I knew I would need Dante VSC's on any computer that I wanted to record to from the rm. but now I'm confused, am I understanding this correctly, in order to control the rm wirelessly, q mix and UC surface I need to purchase a managed switch to use in addition to my netgear wireless router????

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Regards,
anthony
by roblof on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:40 pm
ArtTistic wroteHello All,
So, I just purchased a Dante card for my rm32. I knew I would need Dante VSC's on any computer that I wanted to record to from the rm. but now I'm confused, am I understanding this correctly, in order to control the rm wirelessly, q mix and UC surface I need to purchase a managed switch to use in addition to my netgear wireless router????

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Regards,
anthony

In general dante doesn't like wifi so you should possibly try to avoid using your netgear for dante.

I'm not sure what you mean by managed router in this context, but dante doesn't like switches with energy saving and managed switches either don't have this option or it can be turned off in the managed switch configuration.

The rm mixers only need special switches for avb, not control so for this reason alone your netgear router should be just fine.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by ArtTistic on Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:05 pm
Thanks Roblof,

My current configuration has the RM rack mounted with an Intel NUC connected to it via FireWire. Both the NUC and RM are hardwire connectted to the netgear router as well as a FOH 23" Acer touchscreen.

When we gig, it is a self contained wired system with dedicated 5ghz wifi for iPad and iPhone connection. (Note all the wired devices have static IP addresses) the router assigns ip addresses to the wifi devices using DHCP.

In the studio the rack router gets dhcp disabled and the connection that normally goes to the FOH computer now connects to my studio network.

My goal is to be able to record live performances on my FOH computer (the NUC is used for my DMX control of lights, haze, video projections and confetti cannons so it can't track the show at the same time.) additionally to be able to record in the studio using my desktop UHD Editing/DAW machine.

My understanding was I would need the Dante card and then 2 copies/licenses of Dante VSC....However I need to be able to control devices using wifi .... Live we use iPhones for our IEM's via QMix and the DMX is controlled via iPad.... We still use the IEM's in the studio and iPad is used for capture or studio one 3....

It now seems like I have to purchase 2 managed switches ( one for the rack, and one for the studio network in order to make this work as I intended.... Seems like a lot of extra work and hardware needed to let me record to 2 machines, one onlocation and one in the studio. In fact, in the studio I could use the NUC since it's not running the stage show. I'd just prefer to use the desktop machine as it's optimized for this type of work ....

I know this is a lot of info, but I figured it would help you better understand my situation. Am I correct in thinking I need to connect all Dante devices to a managed switch and then connect one of the LAN ports on the switch to the wifi unit (and adjust the switch settings for that port so Dante ignores it for audio transfer)????

Again, any insight is greatly appreciated!!

Anthony
by sjc193 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:48 am
I'm not an expert on this subject but I don't think you need a switch, as long as everything is hard wired, your wifi router can be the switch. What you are describing is what you need to use AVB not daunte. . .

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
by ArtTistic on Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:38 am
Thanks Steve!
That's what I'm hoping but the PDFs from presonus has me thinking otherwise.....

http://www-media-presonus.netdna-ssl.co ... rking1.pdf

Regards,
Ant
by sjc193 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:32 am
You may be right, it does say "do not connect your daunte devices to the ports on a wireless router"

let us know what your real world test conclude

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
by roblof on Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:34 pm
sjc193 wroteYou may be right, it does say "do not connect your daunte devices to the ports on a wireless router"

let us know what your real world test conclude

Steve

Audinate (aka dante) specifically states that a wifi router is not recommended in a dante network as this might cause issues with dante. They have a special writeup that explains this in detail why this is a bad idea. To avoid extra ethernet cabeling when you need wifi the managed switch should be setup using vlan's to separate the wifi from dante.

Given the amount of channels available with dante to/from the rm-mixer it is also not recommended to use a switch/router that doesn't support gigabit. A 100mbit network is at risk of becomming congested. Avoid 100mbit nodes.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by ArtTistic on Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:37 am
Ok so I need to purchase 2 managed switches, one for my home network and one for my rack system . I was thinking about Cisco SG 200-08's any suggestion.?

Also when I set the switch port, that connects to the wifi router, to multicast filtering what limitations will that cause? I.e. In the studio I have wireless printer' will the computers on the switch still see them and be able to access them?

My understanding is that multicast filtering only blocks Dante data.... If I'm wrong I could be opening a huge can of worms....

Any insight is appreciated!

Regards
Ant

33 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2