Discuss using Dante, Audinate Software and Dante enabled consoles, etc.
25 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
Alrighty ... So I ordered a Dell XPS 15 9550. I was going to go with an used computer, but going refurbished through their outlet store the price isn't far enough apart that I want to risk an used computer without a warranty, and this has the skylake cpu.

So my next question, and I understand this is probably being posted in the wrong area, but if its a quick reply I can avoid spamming the forums... Let me know if I should move over there.

This XPS has Thunderbolt 3 (using a USB type-C connection) this is the 40 GB transfer and fully backwards compatible. Been looking around and my general idea is that I am going to need to do this: Thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt adapter > Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter > RM16ai.

Any experience with this?
by matthewgorman on Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:14 pm
None at all. I would start a new thread on this topic. Thats a whole lot of adapters

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by drums.michael on Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:39 pm
matthewseymour wrote...latency. Dante via has a 10ms transmit buffer (don't know about receive) plus the latency of your audio interface. So if you used a basic USB audio interface you could see about 20ms latency. That would be a nightmare for your main console audio but for playback, talkback and headphone monitoring it's no big deal...

Thinking about buying a Dante card and I'm asking myself the question:

Is there a difference in latency between using firewire or Dante VSC with MultiRack?

Thanks in advance :)

RM32AI
- MacBook Pro Retina i7 8gb
- 2U self built computer running MacOSX Mavericks (courtesy of tonymacx86.com) and Hannspree/Hanns-G Touchscreen (HT231HPG)

internals:
CPU: i7 4790K @4.0Ghz
RAM: 16GB 1866 DDR3
OS disk 128gb Samsung 840 SSD
storage: 2 2TB Seagate HDD 7200 rpm (2tb running RAID for speed plus 2x 1tb storage partitions)
Chenbro RM24100 Rackcase
CPU Cooler (due to height restrictions) Thermalright AXP-200 Muscle with offset Fan

UC Surface on Mac and iPad
Processing via Waves MultiRack & LiveProfessor2

My Homepage (still being built...)
by matthewseymour on Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:54 am
Hi Michael... I've just responded to your comments in the pre-sales thread too...

There's a big difference in latency performance between a hardware Dante PCIe card and the virtual soundcard. The difference between firewire and dante hardware is tiny... if any. You may find there's an extra millisecond when using Dante compared to firewire. Certainly for the flexibility dante brings it's a no brainer... providing you can benefit from that flexibility because the hardware cards are quite expensive. Personally I don't like firewire. It's always seemed that little bit flaky because of chipset implementations. I've encountered situations where I've needed to restart everything before the firewire works properly. Dante really does just work. It's very robust.

Whether Dante Virtual Soundcard latency is acceptable for multirack is a different question. It probably depends on the effects. For reverb or delays, probably you can find the extra latency acceptable. For an insert effect on a channel probably not.
by Karyn on Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:44 am
The biggest latency issue is going to be the actual plugins you are inserting. A hardware Dante card (like the Dante chips in equipment) will give latency as low as 200 microseconds (0.2ms). I run my RM32 Dante at 0.5ms

Dante VSC gives latency options down to 2.0ms and Via is fixed at 10ms. BUT... that is NOT the actually latency, it's a worst case limit where the software will warn you that you're running out of bandwidth.

Actual measurements show that Dante VSC will happily run in the 1ms range and Via trends around 2 - 4ms. It all depends on the power of the computer you're using...

When worrying about latency its very important to put things into perspective. If you're a guitarist stood at the front of the stage, with your amp 15 feet behind you, you instantly have approx. 15ms latency...
If you're the lead singer and 6 feet tall using a floor monitor.... 6ms latency assuming you're stood right over it. More as you move away..

If you're using IEMs then you can generally get away with at least 10ms processing latency before you start hearing a delayed signal effect, simply because our brains are design to make allowance for the "slow" speed of sound...

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.

25 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2