Discuss the new Studio 192 and Studio 192 Mobile here
25 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2

I wouldn't recommend PreSonus Studio 192.

Too many bugs and nobody is fixing them. All audio just cut out on me for no reason right now. I can see the meter moving on the app but the audio interface isn't working. Ever since I first got this they've had a notice up to use a USB 2.0 cable because audio cuts out randomly when using a USB 3.0 cable. The notice is still up. It's been a long time and it hasn't been fixed. I'm using a USB 2.0 cable and my audio just cut out. What the point of buying a USB 3.0 interface if its' operating as 2.0 because you have to use a 2.0 cable? Same thing with Yosemite and El Capitan. I don't know if it works any better on Windows but I wouldn't recommend it to any Mac user until they fix it. If they ever do.

I don’t know if it’s really Apple’s fault or if they’re just passing the buck. Why can’t they fix it on this end? Maybe not many Mac users have bought it so there aren’t enough complaints. Then I guess it is up to me to do the complaining. If I raise enough hell maybe they’ll quit ignoring it. Just to shut me up. I know better than to buy a new device when it first hits the market. I usually don’t from any manufacturer. I paid $900 to be a beta tester basically. It’s not unique to PreSonus. It’s the same with any company but it’s near the point that it should have been fixed by now with Studio 192. That’s all I have for now. If it’s not fixed in 3 months I’ll have more to say, and say it louder at more places.

Unless you can get Sweetwater to take it back and give my money back. Then I'll move on. I really like the Studio One integration but if it's going to be a pos for years, like AudioBox was, it's just going to hinder me so I'll get something else.
Last edited by ericcampbell2 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
by matthewgorman on Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:11 am
I wouldnt say no one is fixing it. Have you looked at or tried the public beta of the new driver? It addresses a few Usb3 issues on mac.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by ericcampbell2 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:49 am
One thing I forgot to mention is that I just upgraded to El Capitan with a clean install. Wiped the drive and started over from scratch. I didn't have the audio drop outs on Yosemite.

Yeah I see that beta but I don't think I should pay $900 to be a beta tester. I might try it. IDK yet.

BTW, where my studio monitor are in that picture is not where they are normally positioned. They're just there temporarily as I decided to pull the desk out and do some cable management, now, at the same time I start the OS over from scratch.
by matthewgorman on Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:20 pm
Yeah I see that beta but I don't think I should pay $900 to be a beta tester. I might try it. IDK yet.

Regardless of my affiliation with Presonus, I can't blame you for feeling the way that you do, and my position may be similar to yours if the roles were reversed.

I can't blame you for not wanting be a lab rat. I only suggested the public beta (and there is a new release as of today) because there are quite a few el cap fixes in these versions that may improve your results. There are alot of times I come across folks that don't know certain things exist, so my comment was more to inform in the event you hadn't seen it.

Feel free to PM if I can be of any help to you.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by ericcampbell2 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:21 pm

I can wait a week.
by matthewgorman on Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:37 am
Hope it work out for you.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by rokko101 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:22 pm
Please, keep us informed.

I'm about to remodel my studio and i'm planning to buy the Studio 192 + DP88 + CS18AI.

I was about to buy the Studio 192 but I work on daily basis with a OS X El Capitan and reports about stability hasn't been all that encouraging. So i'm sticking with my Firestudio units until most bugs are ironed.

But, please be aware that there's something wrong with OS X 10.11 USB implementation... Complains with Apple are all over the net. Not even my humble Audiobox iOne works correctly with OS X 10.11 ... Sometimes device isn't listed, sometimes it distorts audio, sometimes it stops streaming audio.

Let's hope that Studio 192 and OS X 10.11 communicate properly eventually.

MacOS 12.6, Mac Pro 2012 Xeon 3.06Ghz 24Gb RAM, Mac Mini 2012 i7, Studio One v.6 , Presonus Studio 192, AudioBox iOne.
by kfwdrums on Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:16 am
I just started using the studio 192 yesterday with my mac mini and EL capitan and I noticed the same thing. I'm using the latest drivers and firmware. I thought it was just with the spdif output because when I switch to a different output it would sometimes play sound. I love the presonus products and would love to continue using them. Hope you guy's can work this out and I'll keep you posted on anything I find. I just wouldn't want this to happen with a client in the room. Thanks for a great produce otherwise.
P.s is there a recommended settings list for setting up the computer like pro tools has, i suspect its probably similar, like no wifi,bluetooth,etc etc
Thanks,
Karl
by rokko101 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:18 pm
I have yet to read a positive review of the Studio 192 using current OS X 10.11.3. I'm going to buy the unit and keep my faithful FS Studio in case the Studio 192 refuses to work correctly.

It's depressing not to have other options with ZL monitoring available in OS X other than Presonsus offerings. Quite limiting.

MacOS 12.6, Mac Pro 2012 Xeon 3.06Ghz 24Gb RAM, Mac Mini 2012 i7, Studio One v.6 , Presonus Studio 192, AudioBox iOne.
by rokko101 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:58 pm
Well... Today I got my 192.

I've been testing it and running audio from different sources ... and ... all good.

I was afraid about stability and compatibility with OS X 10.11.3. But so far it's working as expected. No clicks or drops or anything abnormal to report.

I can confirm Talkback doesn't work if CUE mixes are used in Studio One.

I've tested both AD and DA converters against my RME ADI-2. Obvious differences. RME sounds cleaner and slightly more focused but a bit cold. Studio 192 on the other side sounds very musical, it reproduces and captures more bass but the mid region sounds a bit recessed (again, this is against the ADI-2 which is very forward sounding).

I like the sound of the Studio 192. It just sounds good. I'm going to test different outputs to check if the from volume is adding any coloration.

I've connected the unit to my cMP using USB 2.0 cable to a third party USB 3.0 PCIe card using ASmedia 1042a chipset. This way the Studio 192 has a dedicated card/controller and might work better. I'm going to try it with a USB 3.0 cable to check how it works.

All in all i'm satisfied with my purchase. Thanks Presonus.

I'm going to buy the DP88 too and wanted to know if the direct line inputs over DB25 offer the same digital gain as the Studio 192.
I hope someone can answer this one.

by matthewgorman on Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:16 am
I think the anomolies for the 192 on mac are related to Apple still working out some issues with their USB 3 implementation. I can tell you that on my portable rig, which is Win 7, I exclusively run as USB2, and see no performance degradation from my USB3 desktop (Win 10 now).

I'd love to be able to test the DB25 for you, but I have no real line in sources, and at this point no DB25 connectors. I'll ask some of the smart kids and try and get an answer for you.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by rokko101 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:54 am
Thanks Matt.

Yes, i'm aware that most USB audio problems are related to OS X 10.11 implementation. Many other products are affected.

My Mac Mini 2012 has a lot more of problems with USB audio... might be related with the chipset used on those machine. On the other side my cMP works just fine either with the integrated USB ports or third party add on.

I hope some one using the dp88 can confirm there's digital gain over DB25 direct inputs.

by rokko101 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:50 am
Quick update...

Just got some crackle after a few hours of use... need to restart the unti... This problem isn't probably Presonus fault ... but bad OS X 10.11 drivers. Let's hope Apple will fix it in the next OS X 10.11.4 release.

by rokko101 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:28 am
Studio 192 (as well as many other USB devices) under OS X 10.11.x aren't a reliable solution.

I've tried it both on my Mac Mini 2012 with OS X 10.11.3 and nMP 2009 with OS X 10.11.4 beta 7.

Audio runs out of sync (apparently) and distorts randomly.

This happens using a USB 2.0 cable so I won't even care to test the much more problematic USB 3.0 cable.

by rokko101 on Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:30 pm
Today I tried a USB3 cable with my cMP (Asmedia PCIe UBS3 card). The Studio 192 is recognized but audio isn't passed at all.

The only reliable option in my case is to use the USB 2.0 ports on my cMP. Even in this situation I've experienced a couple of drops but at least no distortion until now.

IMO a class complaint professional device isn't a good idea since in this case Presonus has no control whatsoever over it's own device drivers. So Mac users have to rely on Apple. But you can't contact Apple or ask them for a solution... neither Presonus!

Considering Apple doesn't care about anything professional lately... and that they haven´t fixed USB3 audio after 4 OS X 10.11 releases this is a risky scenario and honestly I'd prefer not to be involved in it.

In my experience USB 2.0 isn't the best solution for a 26in/32out device. Sure... there's enough bandwidth but... then... there are USB HDs , Control Surfaces, Keyboard, Mouse/Trackpack, Bluetooth, etc devices sharing the same controller.

I'm going to keep testing the Studio 192. I've find UC doesn't remember it's setting after restart Block size for example resets to 512 every time.

by matthewgorman on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:19 pm
Apple has just released an update to el cap, 10.11.4. Among the fixes is a fix for USB drop outs. Please see the release notes at the link below. Presonus recommends installing this update for USB devices.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1869?locale=en_US

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Mark Glass on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:23 pm
I was worried about this myself. I have S1 3.2 Pro. I almost pulled the trigger because the 192 had a great feature set but there were many comments of problems so instead I got the new Focusrite Clarett 8Pre which is a Thunderbolt connection to use with my imac and I have had no issues and there are no latency issues because of the Thunderbolt speed. I hope the 192 issues can get sorted out and I still my get one in the future but for now things are going smooth with the 8Pre.

S1 Pro 5.5, Mac M1, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, OS Monterey, Focusrite Clarett 8pre, Allen & Heath ZED60 14FX for routing, multiple guitars, bass, keyboards, amps, mics, EZ Drummer 3, home studio primarily for songwriting as musician.
by matthewgorman on Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:58 am
Many of the issues are/were on mac, which certainly would have affected you. The issues revolve around USB on El Cap, which reportedly has been fixed.

As far as the Latency, it depends on how/what you record. I personally only record old school analog audio (boring I know), so the issues folks are talking about don't affect me. The ones that are most effected are users of soft synths and amp sims. I typically get between 7-10ms rtl FWIW.

You have to sort through the responses and reviews with your own filter. Some folks just seem to want to point to numbers, and not real world experience. Some of the most zealous flag wavers have never used the product. The best advice I could/would give, is to see if there is either a store that will let you demo, or a retailer with a good return policy, and use it for yourself. Ultimately, nothing I, or anyone else, have to say about the unit will affect how you use it, and how it performs in your environment.

Good luck, and happy recording.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by JimmyO on Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:25 pm
Have you recorded anything like a complete session ( Drms guitar bass vocals) ? If so can you post a sample...? Cant find any sessions on the web or anywhere... I would think that Rick or someone would do a session recording to let us hear the unit!!!
by tommytrenton on Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:06 am
I know this is an old post but maybe some one new will come across this post in 2019! The Studio 192 does indeed need a usb 3.0 cable and will not function properly with a 2.0 cable. Heres an amazon link to the exact cable needed to make the 192 run smooth!

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Hig ... 33M4D11XJM

Don't forget that you will also need an open usb 3.0 slot on your motherboard as well.
Heres the reason why a usb 2.0 usb will make the 192 sluggish.
- USB 2.0 transfers 480 megabits per second
- USB 3.0 transfers 5 gigabits per second
USB 2.0 simply does not transfer enough data fast enough for the 192 to run smoothly.

I've been using the 192 for over 4 years now and I have not had one single issue with it! And when I say use it I mean I have all 8 inputs being used, both headphone outputs being used, all monitor outputs being used and 2 phantom power inputs being used for both of my studio mics. I use it in Studio One, Reason and MPC Essentials. Plus for windows 10 audio of course. I love the 192 so worth $900. BUT I will say PreSonus has extremely slow customer support and most of the time don't even reply. Ok Im done! I hope this reply helps someone out there!

25 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2