3 posts
Page 1 of 1
hello all,
I have a question for anyone who knows, im running 2 fire pods into studio one 2 producer for recording and I will be using 3 pro for mixing/ mastering. I just got some JBL LSR305 monitors, where should I set the -10/+4 switch for optimal recording/ mixing metering/ listening?

also i don't have the greatest room to record in or mix in, but I do have some sound absorption material and I have a decent room sound going on for a rock band, so where should I set the low/high db switch -2, 0, or +2, any help with this would be great?
by matthewgorman on Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:07 am
For question 1, set the monitors for +4.

For question 2, not as easy. The switches are to compensate for the room, so it would be wrong to give you an answer without being in the room. You can however get an idea by setting up a song for testing in the daw.

You need a song with 2 channels, one to play a test tone (tone generator plug, or a wav file of pink noise), and a second channel for a mic to measure the response. Ideally you would want to use a flat response reference mic, but you can use what you have if you have knowledge of the freq response for that mic (ex, an SM58 has a bump around 2.5khz so it will exaggerate the response of the room there). You are just looking for a starting point at the high and low side of the respopnse. Put an instance of the spectrum meter on the insert of the mic channel, and also one after the tone generator on the other. Pin them both open, and start the tone. You want to try and match the mic channel to the tone channel by using the switches as best you can.

There is waaaay more to room correction than the above, but this will get you the basics for now.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by rockgod212 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:59 pm
ok. thanx for the info. I will give that a try

3 posts
Page 1 of 1