3 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

I recently bought RC 500, and I must start by saying that I absolutely love it. Well done Presonus.

The manual states in regards to the instrument input "Active instruments have an internal preamp and a line-level output and should be plugged into a line input. Plugging a line-level source into the instrument input on the front of the RC 500 risks damage to the circuit and is likely to produce a very loud and distorted audio signal. So don´t do that".

I realize that keyboard and other line-level signals should never be connected through the instrument connection, but I am wondering about basses with active pickups. I did not think they produced line level signal, and in fact the RC 500 does not include a TS input for line level, but just to be on the safe side I would like to ask whether it is possible to damage the unit by plugging such a bass into the instrument input on the front of RC 500.

Thank you in advance for your answer.
by 5aint on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:48 am
Hi,

Your Bass will still be "instrument" level and so front panel is the correct input. It is actually more of an impedance issue.

The manual seems a bit misleading there, it is badly worded... They are talking about +4 line signals I would guess.

Just an FYI Some synths and keyboards are line level and balanced +4 but most in fact are unbalanced -10 and thus instrument level and impedance will take them sans issue, one just watches the gain structure.

Hope this helps.
by haukurpalma on Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:10 am
Thank you 5aint. This is like I believed it to be, but I wanted to be cautious because of the wording in the manual.

3 posts
Page 1 of 1