Discuss using Dante, Audinate Software and Dante enabled consoles, etc.
8 posts
Page 1 of 1
I recently upgraded from a Presonus 16.4.2 to an RM32AI and am having a bit of a challenge with routing to my Aviom in-ear system. I'm hoping I can address my issue with Dante, but wanted to check with those that know first :-)

Previously, I used the 2x8 DB25 outs on the 16.4.2 to send the 16 dry input signals directly to the Aviom A16i input board, and then distribute to the personal mixers through the distribution hub. Worked like a charm, and I was able to use the auxes and sub groups on 16.4.2 for other purposes.

On the RM32AI, the 2x8 DB25 connectors are no longer associated with the dry channel inputs - these now mirror the 16 mix outputs also located on the front of the unit. I could mimic the behavior I had before by sending a single channel as a mix to each of the 16 outs, but then I exhaust all the aux / mix groups in the process.

If I were to obtain the RM32AI Dante expansion card and an Aviom D400 Dante distribution hub, would I be able to route the input signals directly to the personal mixers without any additional hardware? Trying to avoid needing a signal splitter for each channel.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
by roblof on Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:55 pm
The cost of all that dante stuff is quite high compared to a couple of splitters.

If you have other usage for dante like recording and things like that then dante might be a good option.

As I understand it you should be able to tap the input so you get a direct out on your dante but others have to chime in to verify...

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by jdemitriou on Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:33 pm
Thanks for the response - I have been considering using Dante for live recording as well, so that investment might be ok. However, if using Dante for in-ear distribution introduces a material latency, that's a non-starter.

I had a splitter built in to the Aviom mic-level input rack unit, but I sold it after I got the 16.4.2 since it had the direct outs on the channels through the DB25 ports.

I also considered using the Qmix AI and giving each of our band members their own single mix output, but we have several stereo instruments, and going mono from what we have today is a step backwards ...
by Karyn on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:15 am
The Dante setup you're proposing would work exactly as you intend.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by roblof on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:30 am
Dante latency on a dedicated network is less than 1ms so this is normaly a non-issue.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by jdemitriou on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:16 am
Excellent to hear!

If you happen to know, where does the channel assignment get selected with Dante in the configuration I mentioned above (Dante card in RM32AI, connected to Aviom 400D Dante)? Would that be in the Presonus or the Aviom? And am I just limited to routing the channel ins through Dante or can I also include mixes (aux and subgroups) as well?

Thanks in advance for any feedback :-)
by Karyn on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:31 am
During setup (playing with the new toys at home..) you include a computer on the network running Dante Controller (it's free). That acts as a virtual patchbay and allows you to assign "transmitters" (your mic inputs) to "receivers" (the channels in your Aviom).
Once set, those settings are written to the individual Dante devices, so you don't need the computer (or Dante Controller) to be present during your gig.

You get access to all 32 mic inputs (tapped just after the preamp or post DSP), main outputs, mix outputs, everything you'd need.
If you take your computer along with you, it can also receive the Dante feeds so you can record direct to Studio One (or any DAW)from anywhere on the network. You need a copy of Dante Virtual Soundcard for that (about $30).
You can't use Capture, it doesn't support Dante.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by jdemitriou on Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:47 pm
Thanks Karyn - much appreciated. Everything I wanted to hear :-)

8 posts
Page 1 of 1