8 posts
Page 1 of 1
How do you import or open a MIDI file into a current song project? I know how to open the MIDI file as a new song but cannot figure out how to open it on a new track in a current project?

Thanks.
by jpettit on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:44 pm
You drag it in as a new track.

There is kind of a strange behavior though.
Depending on the length of the midi song it may want to start a whole new song.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by sonhouse on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:43 pm
Yeah, I've tried dragging and it keeps creating a new song. I just need the file to drop into the track on an existing song....the midi file is not long, basically a clip.
by jpettit on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:31 pm
Do you know if it's type zero or type one?

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by sonhouse on Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:30 pm
I think it's a type one as it has two tracks, it's a piano part, the tracks are divided left hand and right hand. Is that the issue?
by Lawrence on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:33 pm
Two things...

1. The threshold for that, when or what causes a midi file not to be imported directly, lenght, number of notes, whatever, is an unknown (to us users anyway). You can always tell before importing though by whether you see transport controls in the browser or not when you select a midi file there. If not, it will make a new song.

2. Not that big of a deal really. (Imo, mmv). Even if it does make a new song, just copy what you want from there, close it and paste it into the other song.

Hope some of that helps.
by Tacman7 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:17 pm
Or open it as a new song and save the parts you want to a new midi file then drag it in where you need it.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Steve Carter on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:24 pm
This is great news for me! I posted with the same problem ages back and got told I was dragging the midi file into the song incorrectly which initially appeared to solve things but try as I might dragging midi files from the browser (files tab) was opening a complete new song - so used the copy and paste work around. So good to hear for the first time that this is a known issue (if not a known solution) and it's not just me. I'll certainly look out for that browser play tip.
Thanks all & regards....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!

8 posts
Page 1 of 1