4 posts
Page 1 of 1
Summary: Cymbals should always be entered as "x" noteheads by default; Drums should always be entered as standard noteheads by default. Since you need the note duration window open to use step-time input constantly switching to the Alt. notehead window means you spend more time switching windows than entering notes. Commonly it can be as high as 5 clicks to enter one drum note if you have to change duration too.

In the Drum Instrument Note Entry Window, when you press a drum or cymbal if you haven't already selected a specific notehead it defaults to a standard notehead. This initially seems to make sense however....

Cymbals are considered unpitched percussion. This class of instrument is never represented by a standard notehead.

So when someone presses the Hi-Hat button (or any other cymbal) it should default to an "x" notehead. The only other common notehead is the diamond for the Bell of the Ride cymbal.

Bass, Snare, and Tom drums are pitched percussion and always represented by standard noteheads. This only changes is when you play effects on those drums (Rimshot or Rimclick use alternate noteheads.) The vast majority of the time these drums will be hit normally and should be inserted as a normal notehead.

You have enough room in the Drum Instrument Note Entry Window to add more buttons, I would recommend adding Ride Bell (defaulting to diamond note head) and Hi-Hat with foot ("x" notehead on treble clef D4.) You could also just cut a corner out of the buttons with alternate playing styles.
like so:
drumpallette.jpg
This advanced drum pallet could be toggled on and off for those of us with more extensive notation requirements without crowding the interface for people who don't need it.

Here's an small example to illustrate my point:
From the Drum Entry Window
beginning of line, duration window, eighth note, alt notehead window , x notehead, hi-hat, hi-hat, beginning of line, chord entry, standard notehead, duration window, quarter note, bass drum, eighth note, notehead window, x notehead. 16 clicks to enter 2 Hi-Hats and 1 Bass drum and get back to Hi-Hats
OR:
beginning of line, duration window, eighth note, hi-hat, hi-hat, beginning of line, chord entry, quarter note, bass drum, eighth note. 10 clicks. This adds up quickly. Personally, I'd rather spend my time writing music than clicking through menus.
by rexperry on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:05 pm
I second this - I'm pretty new to Notion for iPad and it definitely works better than all the other notation programs I've tried.

Having a drum entry tool is an added bonus. It's not like it "has" to have default note heads, but if you're going to go this far by making a "quick" drum entry tool, please go the extra step and make it create the correct default note heads so that you don't either have to pre-select each one before hitting your notes, or go back and change them after the fact.

I'm running Notion for iPad version 2.0.143

Thanks for a great program!!!!

Rex Perry
by bennetdobrick on Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:58 pm
bd5 wroteSummary: Cymbals should always be entered as "x" noteheads by default; Drums should always be entered as standard noteheads by default. Since you need the note duration window open to use step-time input constantly switching to the Alt. notehead window means you spend more time switching windows than entering notes. Commonly it can be as high as 5 clicks to enter one drum note if you have to change duration too.

In the Drum Instrument Note Entry Window, when you press a drum or cymbal if you haven't already selected a specific notehead it defaults to a standard notehead. This initially seems to make sense however....

Cymbals are considered unpitched percussion. This class of instrument is never represented by a standard notehead.

So when someone presses the Hi-Hat button (or any other cymbal) it should default to an "x" notehead. The only other common notehead is the diamond for the Bell of the Ride cymbal.

Bass, Snare, and Tom drums are pitched percussion and always represented by standard noteheads. This only changes is when you play effects on those drums (Rimshot or Rimclick use alternate noteheads.) The vast majority of the time these drums will be hit normally and should be inserted as a normal notehead.

You have enough room in the Drum Instrument Note Entry Window to add more buttons, I would recommend adding Ride Bell (defaulting to diamond note head) and Hi-Hat with foot ("x" notehead on treble clef D4.) You could also just cut a corner out of the buttons with alternate playing styles.
like so:
drumpallette.jpg
This advanced drum pallet could be toggled on and off for those of us with more extensive notation requirements without crowding the interface for people who don't need it.

Here's an small example to illustrate my point:
From the Drum Entry Window
beginning of line, duration window, eighth note, alt notehead window , x notehead, hi-hat, hi-hat, beginning of line, chord entry, standard notehead, duration window, quarter note, bass drum, eighth note, notehead window, x notehead. 16 clicks to enter 2 Hi-Hats and 1 Bass drum and get back to Hi-Hats
OR:
beginning of line, duration window, eighth note, hi-hat, hi-hat, beginning of line, chord entry, quarter note, bass drum, eighth note. 10 clicks. This adds up quickly. Personally, I'd rather spend my time writing music than clicking through menus.

This is a really good idea. I thought exactly about the same things. It would make life so much easier if you would add these things to NOTION. I need to use the Hihat played by the left foot so many times and it really takes a lot of time to switch always from the drum pad to the keyboard (for entering the left food Hihat on the d1 for example, plus changing to the x notehead-function.

I hope you guys from the notion team soon gonna change those things, read those suggestions, take these great ideas serious. Cause it's otherwise a great application.
by bennetdobrick on Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:13 am
Notion should really add the function to use the handwriting with drums. Or so to say in the percussion clef. It should automatically notice then the difference between x-note heads and normals ones. I just bought the handwriting add-on and had to experience that this is not possible.

I really hope you care about those ideas and change something soon. Cause those features would make the app something really special.

4 posts
Page 1 of 1