Discuss Live Sound Situations here. Product Specific questions or posts may be moved to product centric subforums.
10 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm in the market to buy a new mixer and I'm very interested in the Rm-32AI but I don't see that it has XLR-1/4" input jacks, like say the 1818vsl has.

Is there any future plans on adding these input jacks as to where there is xlr and 1/4" in the same channel jack? And will it have high and low z on these inputs. I have another rack mount mixer and it has all that.

I've used the 1818vsl for live mixing a small band and love the sound quality of presonus, but I think they need more versatility on the inputs.

Does anyone know?
by pattalbot on Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:34 pm
I haven't seen or heard any discussion of a redesign with combo jacks. Use XLR where you can, and a quality direct box where you have to.
by parkside6568 on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:49 am
Yes, I understand using a DI box, but what is the reason on why every other presonus product has the combo input? It just seems to me that with other brands offering this feature, which in my opinion saves the comsumer a little money, it very well could be one selling point. I mean, I purchase the mixer, and now I have to buy a couple more components just to be able to run a band set up. Doesn't really make sense.
Example, one band I mix for uses Roland electric drums. He runs 8 outs which are all 1/4". So now I have to buy, say 4 Bluetube Dpv2 at $220 each. Now I got another $800 plus invested. That could very well be a deal breaker.

I think it's something Presonus needs to do. I wonder how to get in touch with them and present the issue to them?
by pattalbot on Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:21 am
I'm sure it's something that has been discussed by product management before, during, and after RM release. There have been several folk on the forums that have raised the issue as well Ray Tantzen is the senior product manager for PreSonus that owns the RM line. Here's a link to his profile on the forums. memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=403557

Also, on the answers site, you can ask the question there and also request new features...this would be a hardware change, but still a new feature, so it would apply IMO. http://answers.presonus.com/studiolive- ... e-requests
Last edited by pattalbot on Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by SwitchBack on Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:00 am
In this thread look for Ray Tantzen's feedback near the end of the thread (stingray1122, Jan 29, 2015). PreSonus never makes any promises about products before release but it is on their radar.
by Danalee on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:10 am
These work, and much cheaper than a DI box.. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002 ... PDKIKX0DER

THE MUSIC ROOM
Record - Mix - Master
Audio Production

PRESONUS
Studio One 3, Fader Port, 16.4.2, 24.4.2, RM32
Eris 5 & Sceptre 6 Monitors
Windows 7 Pro, I7 quad core, 16 gigs ram

(http://www.customwiring.net/themusicroom)
by SwitchBack on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:52 am
That's only a socket adapter. It does not
- solve the 'low impedance for a line input' issue
- block phantom power
- allow you to bypass the mic preamp for better SNR from line outputs.

For line inputs the RML mixers are the way to go, or use DI boxes.
by parkside6568 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:41 pm
Since I made the post, the RM series has received the 1/4" combo Jacks I was inquiring about. Only thing now in question is why didn't they do all of them?

Good job Presonus on listening to customers request!!
by Danalee on Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:35 am
SwitchBack wroteThat's only a socket adapter. It does not
- solve the 'low impedance for a line input' issue
- block phantom power
- allow you to bypass the mic preamp for better SNR from line outputs.

For line inputs the RML mixers are the way to go, or use DI boxes.

Im not disagreeing with what you say, but those adaptors do work. I use them without any issues and they are cheap.

THE MUSIC ROOM
Record - Mix - Master
Audio Production

PRESONUS
Studio One 3, Fader Port, 16.4.2, 24.4.2, RM32
Eris 5 & Sceptre 6 Monitors
Windows 7 Pro, I7 quad core, 16 gigs ram

(http://www.customwiring.net/themusicroom)
by bjmccaskil on Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:27 pm
We run Roland electric drums, plus Line 6 stereo pod, digital piano and synth, all line outputs directly into the XLR mic sockets on our RM32. Presonus says the RM32 is designed to accept line inputs, and in fact it does just fine. I set input trim for all line devices to 10 or 12 dB. Quality of sound is, I think, better than through DI's. The preamps are so perfectly quiet that not being able to bypass them is a total non-issue.

The low impedance does not seem to be an issue with 120V powered devices. I'm not convinced that it might not overload some line out device that is battery powered, but no apparent problems so far.

I agree totally about not being able to block phantom power. I wish that Presonus could add a "master" phantom power page to the setup menu that would allow me to control all phantom power from one page AND disable phantom power from selected ports to prevent its being turned on carelessly from the fat channel area.

At first I was annoyed by the lack of 10,000K line TRS inputs, but now I am glad they designed the machine just the way they did. I never want to see another TRS ever.

10 posts
Page 1 of 1