AudioBox 1818VSL, 44VSL and 22VSL
101 postsPage 4 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Hello,

I have to rectify my posts a little bit now.

I have an audiobox 1818VSL from second hand a few days now. The interface is nearly two years old. In my lunchhour I did a little test now. I delete the actual driver and vsl-software 1.3 and installed the old driver 1.2.1 from the presonus homepage, hoping this will work better than the actual driver 1.3. The installation worked fine. After the installation when I start the vsl-software, I got a message that my firmware is old and that I should upgrade. OK, I was surprised, because when installing the actual software 1.3 after receiving my audiobox, no message appeared and I thought the original owner was up to date, but apparebtly not. So I did the upgrade with no problems.

After the firmware upgrade, I saw that my firmware now was 1.05 or 1.15, but as the release notes told me, with the driver 1.3 is the actual firmware 1.18. OK, I installed now the actual driver 1.3 and when startin the vsl-software, I got a message as I hoped, that my firmware is still old and I should upgrade. OK, I did the upgrade without any problems and now my firmware is 1.18 as it is mentioned in the release notes for the actual driver 1.3.

Now I did a short recording test and I have no clicks and pops. I don't know if the problem is now over for my setup, but for the first time it seems a lot better and I'm more confident.

This evening I will do a short recording with a friend and I'm curious what will happen.

So perhaps somebody with the same problem has still an old firmware and doesn't know it, because no message with the advice to upgrade the firmware appeared. In the release note of the actual driver on page 2, you will find the actual driver- and firmware-versions for each supported interface. Just take a look at it and compare with the firmware- and driver-version displayed in the vsl-software under setup.

Timo
by timofinkbeiner2 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:59 pm
Hello,

after a short recording this evening it seems I can work with it now. It seemed the pops and clicks have disappeared. But what I recognize is a relativ high latency comparing to my old Firestudio Project. The CPU ist also very high comparing to the Firestudio Project.

I think Presonus must optimize the driver to get lower latencies. I cannot go under 512 samples without having pops. Maybe this is normal with USB? I don't know. Of Course it belongs also to the Kind of project (audiotracks or vst-tracks, midi, ...).

I will work now with my audiobox the next week and hope of a new driver in the near future by Presonus.

Kind regards,
Timo
by perceval on Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:29 pm
New driver?

Not going to happen.

I think they were waiting for an excuse to not update the VSL part, and they just found one...

Got an email today and inside is this pearl:

AudioBox 22VSL, 44VSL, 1818VSL:
Starting with OS X 10.11, Apple has restricted kernel level mixing access for third party vendors. This means that VSL software will no longer function on Mac operating systems beyond version 10.10. On OS X version 10.11 or higher, AudioBox VSL devices will only operate as class-complaint audio interfaces. Please refer to this article here that explains the issue in more detail and how to resolve it.
If you currently do not use VSL software, your AudioBox VSL interface will continue to function as you expect.

Notice that, unlike the other products where they say they are ...ahem... "working" on resolving the issue with 10.11, there is no mention of resolving anything on the VSL.
by timofinkbeiner2 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:54 am
Hi,
I received this mail also, but first this is only for mac. Don't forget the users working on windows. I hope Presonus will also don't forget those users. Of course, my hopes for this are not so big. But I hope you are wrong!

The idea behind the audiobox and th vsl-software ist very good. Not everybody could effort a studiolive mixer like the 16.0.2 or has the place for it in his setup.

Timo
by timofinkbeiner2 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:11 am
OK,

now I read also the announcement about the general end of the vsl-software and I'm very sad about it. That was the reason I jumped on the vsl-train. Why do we pc-users have to pay for, when apple decided to change something in their OS? Now I'm thinking I had to leave the train, maybe the whole Presonus-train.

Timo
by cdroid on Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:26 pm
Hi, I am/was having the same issues, and here are my findings;

The issue persists on my both my laptops; one is 2011 MBP with only USB 3.0, the other is 2009 MBP with USB 2.0 only. 2011 is on 10.10.5 and 2009 is on 10.9.5

I tried removing the VSL software entirely from my computer and that didn't really do anything. I tried different power conditioners and outlets and different circuits with no change.

I finally got some results today. I changed two things and have not yet been able to isolate which one solved the issue. Last night I removed my audiobox from the rack it was in and let it cool overnight. I thought I had enough space for it to stay cool in the rack I had, but maybe not because the audiobox is significantly cooler to the touch today. So maybe you might try putting the audiobox somewhere it can breathe and see if that changes anything (if your audiobox is hot to the touch, maybe shut it down and let it cool overnight).

The other thing I changed is that I installed the latest VSL client and drivers/firmware, but then when I loaded Pro Tools I did not start VSL. I tried this on my 2009 macbook pro for a while with no pops. If you want to try this; shut down VSL then restart your computer and then don't start VSL again. Run your DAW without ever starting VSL and see if it works.

I haven't fully tested these solutions, but I wanted to share my findings in hopes that it helps you/us develop a reliable solution. I've been testing it for half an hour without any clicks or pops. I used to get less than a minute between pops so I think half an hour with none is a good indicator that it is fixed. My next steps would be to try the VSL to see if the VSL is the problem or if the heat was the problem. The next step is to see if this works on my 2011 macbook as well.
by Vatche on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:32 pm
For me the problem is related to Windows 10. Does not matter which version of the VSL driver I install, one worse than the other.

Note that, every time I uninstall a driver and install new/old version, it upgrades the firmware, and the message is always 'firmware is older version'. Looks like the software does simple matching rather than really check for version number. If the current one does not match, then it is old. Not a good software design! :roll:

With this AB1818VSL, I also connect to my iMac and my old DELL Laptop (i5 running Windows 7). Both the iMac and the laptop show no issues! No pops or clicks! :?

I used my Laptop to install both old and new version of the VSL drivers (updating firmware each time with no choice), works no problem in each case.
Connect to my main PC (latest Intel i7, 16Gb RAM, SSD Windows 10) and the problems appear. :x

I have 3 other USB Audio Interfaces, M-Audio FastTrack Ultra, Behringer FCA1616 and Behringer Q502USB, all work fine without missing a bit, while I also have my Mackie Onyx Blackbird Firewire running at the same time!

I have optimised the PC with every possible information available. I have tested with different sample and buffer settings. If my old laptop with an i5 CPU can run it on Windows 7, then it must be driver incompatibility with Windows 10?

How come none of my other USB interfaces show no problem if I assume my Windows 10 PC?

Since PreSonus abandoned VSL, I have come up with 2 options, just use this expensive AB1818VSL with my iMac or old laptop that I no longer use, or get rid off it.

I really like the fact the VSL offers the FAT channel and FX and routing of audio without a DAW, when it works correctly.

Any suggestions are welcome.

RecordingStudio9.com
StudioLive 16 Ser III | Studio 1824 | Studio Channel Tube PreAmplifier | Studio One V4 Pro | Eris E8 Studio Monitors | i7, 16Gb RAM, Win 10 64Bit
by metal1guitarist on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:32 pm
Rick's last post on Mar 2015.... ...... April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, nearly December... when will we have this updated driver?

I'm stuck with this problem and if I use without audiobox software, I can't use remote or plug headphones into monitor while tracking drums. Should've got a focusrite.

iMac OS Yosemite - Processor 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Studio One Artist 3.0.0 - Presonus Audiobox 1818vsl.
Effects Pedal Zoom G2.1 Nu - Monitors KRK Rokit 6

by Vatche on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:38 pm
metal1guitarist wroteRick's last post on Mar 2015.... ...... April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, nearly December... when will we have this updated driver?

I'm stuck with this problem and if I use without audiobox software, I can't use remote or plug headphones into monitor while tracking drums. Should've got a focusrite.

Well, since VSL is no longer supported, this issue will never be resolved. We are stuck with it.

Will I endorse or support PreSonus hardware? NO, not anymore!

Go with Focusrite or similar manufacturer that support their new hardware. I went with Mackie.

RecordingStudio9.com
StudioLive 16 Ser III | Studio 1824 | Studio Channel Tube PreAmplifier | Studio One V4 Pro | Eris E8 Studio Monitors | i7, 16Gb RAM, Win 10 64Bit
by metal1guitarist on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:13 am
They should still fix the driver so people who are still using VSL with Audiobox can at least get rid of the crackles, OR bring out an alternate driver that doesn't support VSL so I can use my phones input for monitoring. USERS NEED A SOLUTION!!

I WAS very happy and planned to buy more units from Presonus but now since all the non support of vsl, the crackling and no updated driver, I'm so disappointed and regret spending so much money on the 1818vsl... $600 isn't cheap for me.

I can't even get support for a software problem that Presonus haven't corrected, and it's been an issue for a lot of people for quite a while now.

If Presonus don't bring something out real soon, I'll sell the unit and move to a different interface which does get updated and support.

Doesn't look good for Presonus, especially when more and more people are losing faith the their products.

by perceval on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:32 am
Metalguit, you're a little late to the show.

People have been complaining to Presonus since the day the VSL line was introduced.

No amount of begging, shouting or threatening to go to another company has ever incited Presonus to support these products.

They've always refused to acknowledge that is was probably a hardware issue, because that would have been a recall or money back to their customers.
I mean, what else coul it be if in about 5 years, no real complete fix has ever been produced.

Now, Presonus has completely dropped the VSL line, at least, they don't need to lie about it any,ore. So, do not expect a fix.... Ever.

I, on the other hand, do not feel comfortable selling this 1818 as I would feel bad just passing all these problems to someone else. I have a conscience.

I will take the loss. For that money, Presonus has bought my forever disgust, and I will forever be an advocate AGAINST any Presonus products. Any Products. FOREVER.

Every time someone on the different audio forums out there will ask, I will always turn them away from Presonus and onto other companies that at least try to do something, instead of just lying about it. I know I have been successful a few times already. Anyone that asked me and I replied got an interface from another company.

That's what you bought, Presonus. With my money.
by Vatche on Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:02 pm
Now, even my cheap Behringer Firepower FCA1616 USB recording sounds better, on the same PC, same USB socket, than my AB1818VSL.

Myself too, I'll be inclined to sell my one to anyone and pass on the issues. Well atleast I have no issues running it on my old iMac, so that's where it will end up.

RecordingStudio9.com
by jruder on Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:58 pm
I have completely removed the VSL software from my system. Gong to try ONE more time and see if now maybe I can at least use it with my Studio One to record some stuff without all the noise.

Otherwise I am stuck using a bose L1 with a T1 as a interface for now as I can't afford to purchase something else.

Can't really sell the 1818 unless I tell them that it does not seem to work on a mac mini. guess I could try and get 200.00 out of it...

I will update this post later on with the results.

joe
by metal1guitarist on Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:55 pm
I just removed audiobox driver and it still crackles n pops. I upgraded to El Capitan since vsl isn't supported anyway and because another studio owner said his gear ran better on El Capitan, now my link light flashes red and blue and the 1818 can't be found anywhere.

I talked to tech support and they reckon coz my hard drive runs at 5400 rpm, this can cause crackles, so I've ordered a 1Tb replacement hd (changing to solid state as they are faster), if that fails I'm done with it :thumbdown:

-$600, 4 months old and much disappointment.

I'll be following up fair trading coz we still have consumer protection laws here in Australia. This is my last attempt too.

by Vatche on Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:59 am
I even went and bout a PCI USB 2.0 card to see if that will make a difference. NOP, no difference, still have pops-n-clicks.

I have both SSD drive and 2Tb @ 7200 RPM, and still get the pops-n-clicks.

:cry:

RecordingStudio9.com
by metal1guitarist on Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:14 am
Vatche wroteI even went and bout a PCI USB 2.0 card to see if that will make a difference. NOP, no difference, still have pops-n-clicks.

Youre running i7, 16gb ram, ssd & 7200 rpm! This shouldn't be happening!! My set up has no chance!!

by Vatche on Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:43 pm
metal1guitarist wrote
Vatche wroteI even went and bout a PCI USB 2.0 card to see if that will make a difference. NOP, no difference, still have pops-n-clicks.

Youre running i7, 16gb ram, ssd & 7200 rpm! This shouldn't be happening!! My set up has no chance!!

Trust me, I tried everything with 1818VSL.

It just cannot be my PC, as I can run other USB and Firewire interfaces clean as a whistle.

Not sure how far you can go with Fair Trading here in Australia. They will present "so many variables that can make it unsuitable" argument.

And like yourself, I did try with ASIO4All and bypass VSL (no direct monitoring!) and still got some pops-n-clicks, though not as many.

RecordingStudio9.com
by metal1guitarist on Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:38 pm
Well, doesn't matter what variables they argue, fact is it doesn't do what it's supposed to do and I'll check my 2 channel too, if that works then it's hardware and they can give me my money back.

I'm putting 7200 rpm hd (won't worry about ssd) in today and it's running 2.4GHz 8gb ram... That's enough juice to run the Audiobox. This damn thing is making me spend more money!

by Vatche on Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:35 pm
metal1guitarist wroteWell, doesn't matter what variables they argue, fact is it doesn't do what it's supposed to do and I'll check my 2 channel too, if that works then it's hardware and they can give me my money back.

I'm putting 7200 rpm hd (won't worry about ssd) in today and it's running 2.4GHz 8gb ram... That's enough juice to run the Audiobox. This damn thing is making me spend more money!

I'm eager to find out the FT outcome. Mine is now over a year old, so not much leverage on my side.

RecordingStudio9.com
by jruder on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:14 pm
I am giving up. No matter what i do I can't get it to work. I am going to put it up on craigs list for 200.00 and take my beating.

I am still using Studio One all the time and I like it, it is just so frustrating that they have dropped the ball on this so badly.

PM me if somebody wants to buy it cheap.

Joe

101 postsPage 4 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6