Discuss Notion for iPad and iPhone here.
22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
So, I saw yesterday that handwriting was available as an in-app purchase. I thought a forum thread on the subject might be nice, with first impressions, tips/tricks, how to improve, etc.

First impressions:

1. I really need a stylus for this to work well, my index finger is just not accurate enough

2. I really don't like the 1/5 section of the screen (or however small it is) devoted to this feature, it really should be bigger. For instance, I can't get it to show the treble and bass staves of a grand staff at the same time. I'd prefer to just draw on the main view, and zoom as needed.

3. I've had notes that just would not delete for whatever reason. I'd also like to be able to just click on the eraser tool and have that work in the handwriting view (or just do away with the handwriting view entirely).

4. There's a considerable lag, which I'd like to see reduced. At least on my 3rd gen (the "new") iPad.

Other than that, I've had mixed results with the OCR but seem to be getting better with it. I'd definitely like some advice on how to improve the recognition if anyone has tips. What are other people's thoughts?

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by brucereinoso on Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:24 am
Here are my first impressions:

1. I'm glad handwriting has been added. :thumbup:
2. Compared to the Notate Me App, the implementation in Notion needs work. For example, scribbling over a note does not always erase it and clicking on the eraser tool does nothing.
3. This is BAD: it repeatedly fails to interpret dotted rhythms. :thumbdown:
4. This is BAD: the documentation is really too minimal. :thumbdown: There really needs to be some documentation about best practices for drawing certain common things, like dotted rhythms.
5. I'll post some useful techniques as I figure them out.
by Funkybot on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:27 am
brucereinoso wroteHere are my first impressions:

1. I'm glad handwriting has been added. :thumbup:
2. Compared to the Notate Me App, the implementation in Notion needs work. For example, scribbling over a note does not always erase it and clicking on the eraser tool does nothing.
3. This is BAD: it repeatedly fails to interpret dotted rhythms. :thumbdown:
4. This is BAD: the documentation is really too minimal. :thumbdown: There really needs to be some documentation about best practices for drawing certain common things, like dotted rhythms.
5. I'll post some useful techniques as I figure them out.

Glad it's not just me. Your experiences are similar to mine.

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by davidjames4 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:36 am
I've had pretty good results most of the time, but am having consistent issues with a few things:

[*] Handwriting no longer actually adds anything when I have ties extending from one measure into the next.
[*] Triplet handling is spotty, especially if there are non-matching note durations (i.e. quarter, dotted quarter, eighth, all as one triplet).

And finally, PLEASE give us more room for handwriting input!
by Funkybot on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:17 am
davidjames4 wroteAnd finally, PLEASE give us more room for handwriting input!

Yeah, I'm not sure I like it being in a separate panel at the bottom of the screen. Why not just have built it into the main score screen so we could zoom in and move around as needed? I hope there was a good reason for that decision, because right now, the small window just seems like it was a bad design decision made upfront.

by ulisesgarca on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:47 pm
I think that the hand recognition it's a really good idea, I like notate me, but I always have thought that notion it's a better "build" app for notation music.
However, I have been having troubles with triplets, each time I input one and then I try to put in another figure my triplet its transformed in some other rhythm.
I hope that somebody can help me with this issue. Thanks
by sebastiankatzer on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:58 am
Works good with Apple Pencil on iPad Pro, but needs some improvements as well. It's nearly impossible to erase symbols with the pencil. The area for entry by pencil is far too small. Would be nice to be able to write on the whole screen. Hairpins, dynamics etc.. are not supported. I hope they will work on it. It has so much potential…
by arnoldmai on Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:22 am
I am using the iPad-Pro now for a few weeks and I must say, it is a pleasure to use the pencil within Notion ... except for handwriting notes. However, only a few things need to be improved since the functionality of the app is already outstanding compared to competitive products.

My short wish-list would look like this:

- Ability to hand-write on the main screen (the little area today is a discrimination).

- Conversion-delay before the handwriting-input is converted until start of next bar ( I would like to completely hand-write a bar with all inputs before the conversion is performed).

- selection of converted staff with sketching a lasso for copy/paste or move.

Looking forward for the next updates.
by roberteismann on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:28 am
I agree with pretty much all the above.

But I'm facing a problem that I haven't read about. In one of my projects, no further input is possible, while it is in other projects. I can write, it's just not recognized. What's wrong here?
by paulbarrett on Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:23 am
As davidjames4 mentioned above, the inability to get any notes to convert, once you have I putted a tie across measures is a real flaw, and should be sorted out immediately. I was under the impression that the conversion buffer could only handle two and a half bars, as the fault kept occurring on my first test piece. I guess I will learn to compose very differently, and prevent Presonus ever having to sort this bug. :D
Hi,

my experience is short but I can say that the handwriting recognition is rather unstable and it is not a problem of the ability to recognize the writing. It is as problem of the instability of the system: I draw some notes. They are correctly recognize, but suddenly they change when I add some new notes. The additional lines behave in a crazy manner.

I think Presonus should have waited a bit to polish the product. Inits present form is not very usable.

HINT: to erase notes I realized that you have to move the pencil horizontally and not vertically.
Anyway, it is unbelievable that there is no an eraser in the writing mode.

al
Forget about my comment on the erausre. I realize that the eraser is working in the main window while in the handwriting mode. So it is not absolutely necessary to have the eraser in the handwriting window.

j
by Funkybot on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:01 am
juanmanuelrodrguezparrondo wroteForget about my comment on the erausre. I realize that the eraser is working in the main window while in the handwriting mode. So it is not absolutely necessary to have the eraser in the handwriting window.

j

The most intuitive approach would be for it to work in both views IMO.

by hansnel1 on Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:15 pm
Yes I agree, the writing area is too small. HERE'S A BRILLIANT IDEA:

Do away with the writing window. Let us write on the score itself BUT:
1) When I click on a bar, THAT bar animates a zoom that almost fills the score screen.
2) There could be small handle on the 4 corners of the bar to zoom further in or out.
2) Now I write my stuff in that bar.
3) Double-tapping on an object and then scribbling on that object will delete it.
4) Have two small arrows at the bottom left and right to advance to next or previous bar.
6) Could also add up and down arrows
7) Tap OUTSIDE the EDIT BAR to animate a zoom back to the score.
Capture15.jpg
Zoom the bar straight out of the score.

I also find that the note or symbol does not write immediately, so I start writing but there is nothing on screen yet. After a while the note start to write/appear on the bar but then it is incorrect because it did not begin to write when I started. So, the app must sense the pen immediately.

I see there a people here that like Notate Me...REALLY? I find it just as awful. There are two guys who created a windows app "StaffPad" and THEY got it right.

________________________________________________________________________________
Intel i7 3.60GHz , 16Gig DDR3 Ram,2 X SSD's, Roland Duo Capture External Sound Card, 4TB Seagate Super Fast USB 3 External HDD, 64bit OS (Windows 10 Pro), Sibelius 8.3, Notion 5, Notion for iPad, StaffPad, Finale 2011, Encore, Sonar X3, EWQLSO Platinum, EWQL S. Choirs, QL Spaces, NotePerformer & EDIROL Orchestra (plus countless demos and minor notators)
by stevesteele1 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:26 pm
I bought an iPad Pro to run Notion. And all I get is the 1/5 screen to write on? How could this happen? :evil: :thumbdown:

Come on Presonus or Notion coders. All you have to do is make it full screen and you will OWN THE MARKET!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Right now it's ok for a small amount of tasks, but to make it my daily it's going to have to be full screen.

I hate to say that Windows got the good app. That really pains me. StaffPad looks awesome. :cry:

I completely agree with hansnel1. Isn't it odd how we all want the same thing? Hmm, how come nobody is making what we want?

Yes to all of these suggestions. Do this and you have the KILLER iPad Pro app. Do this and I will make a bunch of YouTube videos raving how great Notion for iOS is. For now I have to wait.

Do away with the writing window. Let us write on the score itself BUT:
1) When I click on a bar, THAT bar animates a zoom that almost fills the score screen.
2) There could be small handle on the 4 corners of the bar to zoom further in or out.
2) Now I write my stuff in that bar.
3) Double-tapping on an object and then scribbling on that object will delete it.
4) Have two small arrows at the bottom left and right to advance to next or previous bar.
6) Could also add up and down arrows
7) Tap OUTSIDE the EDIT BAR to animate a zoom back to the score.

Regards,
Steve Steele
http://www.stevesteele.com
(2) 2010 Mac Pros, 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 96 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Macintosh 1TB NVME, Radeon RX 580 8 GB - Specializing in Vienna Ensemble Pro template builds
by brucemcdaniel1 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:08 pm
The documentation indicates that using the Apple Pencil you can do a lasso select, and says "see page 43" for further info. However, there is nothing there to provide instructions. I don't seem to be able to get the pencil to do a lasso select regardless of what mode I'm in - what am I missing?

Thanks,
Bruce

StudioLive III 32S
ProTools 2021
macOS Catalina
by ronblock on Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:12 pm
I'm definitely wanting more handwriting features. I bought an iPad Pro a week ago when I saw a friend had one with Notion and could write music with the Apple Pencil. I assumed Notion's handwriting feature was complete and thought I could write tablature as well as music.

So - I'd ask for:

1. Handwriting on the full screen - certainly.
2. Tablature writing capability. If I could write tab and music by hand and have it "neatened" like this app can do, I'd be using it a lot, and telling other people about it.

Best,
Ron
by mrmidi on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:04 pm
I'm baffled as to why there have been 17 user posts here, primarily describing deficiencies in the PAID handwriting function, and no developer response to any of these in this thread.......the timeliness of updates addressing these complaints is very disappointing to say the least...some indication of upcoming update timeline with bugs being addressed/focused on would go a long ways to motivating new users to purchase the app and add-on...the last post was last month BTW

Thanks!
by tranha on Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:50 am
I went crazy when Notation handwriting function suddenly stopped working on my iPadpro a month ago in the middle of a busy book project. The small window still alive but the main interface did not respond. It’s a joke! So I had to buy the Symphony app instead. The function did not work on a certain piece but still work with some others. It meant that i have to start the work all over and cannot continue. Sometimes it’s a few hours of work.

I was waiting for updates on this.
by christopherrussell on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:33 pm
Tranha,

I have had problems with handwriting on existing files, too, but I have always used handwriting as a way to add expression marks versus actually writing music. I find other methods so much faster than entering notes by hand.

If you're looking for handwriting apps as it comes to notation, there are a number of apps that are integrating it now, including Symphony Pro (as you mentioned). I open Symphony Pro every now and then to see how it is working for my personal workflow (choral and ukulele scores), but find myself coming back to Notion every time because of the other features and integration with the desktop/notebook version.

• 2018 MacBook Pro i5, 2.3GHZ, 16GB RAM
  • 12.9" iPad Pro 2, 256GB, Apple Pencil
  • iPhone 8 Plus
Music Education (usually Choir, licensed in Band/General Music/Orchestra), Technology in Music Education, Arranging, Tuba, Tenor, Ukulele

22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2