Headphone Monitoring HP60, HP4 and HP2
Headphones including Eris HD10BT, HD9, HD7 and others found in the bundles can be discussed here
6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have:
Firestudio Project
HP60

For recording vocals, what is the correct setup for connections out of my Firestudio Project into my HP60 so I can have a mix of just the song and a separate one of the singer in the vocal booth?

What is the correct setup out of my Firestudio Project into my HP60 for everyone else in the studio that just wants to listen to the session?

Once this is setup, what are the steps I need to do if the singer says "I need more me" or "I need the music to be louder?"
by matthewgorman on Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:14 pm
What DAW? Its a combo of control from the daw and the hardware that will do this. And in the daw, you need to make sure that the outputs are configured. I'll assume you are using studio one for now. If you are using a different daw, you will need to figure out where these functions are in that daw. I'll also assume from your other post that the central station is also in the mix.

In Studio One, when you open a new song, choose the template for your interface, so that you can be sure that all your inputs and outputs are configured. I'll figure that you need 3 separate mixes: control room (you), performers, and listening room (guests/groupies)

Each channel that you want to monitor somewhere other than the control room, will need a send created in the mixer. You can either choose to lock that send to the main fader (a good idea for the listening room, not the performer in this case). Locking to the fader does just that. It mirrors the fader moves you are making from the control room. As an alternative, if the listening room is going to be the same as the control room, you can just take the feed from the main outs on the central station to feed whatever the monitoring is on that side.

So create a cue mix for the performers, and output that from the FSP on outputs 1 and 2, and connect outputs 1 and 2 to TRS 2 input on the Central Station, and on the central station select TRS 2 as the source for the cue mix. Then Cue Mix out on the CS to the HP 60 for the singer.

Now what you have is individual control of each channel for both the cue mix, and the main. There is a slider on the send in the mixer channel for panning and volume, and if it isn't locked it is independent from the main faders.

A good practice for setting up. Lock the cue mix send to the faders to get a starting point for the mix. Then, as the performer is asking for more or less, unlock and adjust from there. Then unlock all once the recording starts so any mutes or solos you do in the control room won't be in the singer's phone's.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by fwconquest on Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:27 pm
I'm running the below setup, all Presonus:
Studio One v3 (Mac)
Central Station
Firestudio Project
HP60

I have Studio One setup to use the Firestudio Project template so it has 8 channels. That has been working out fine. I'm a newbie when it comes to setting up the cue mix properly. How do I set up a cue mix? How do I have this go to my HP60 so I have the 3 seperate cue mixes channels (control room, performer, groupies)?
by matthewgorman on Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:43 pm
Its all in the previous post

Matt

S1Pro V5
by fwconquest on Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:38 pm
Not sure what you mean by "You can either choose to lock that send to the main fader". I went into my outputs section of Studio One, created 3 output channels, set them all to use Output 1 and 2, and checked the Cue Mix box. Is that what you mean by lock to the main fader?

It looks like I need to go buy some more cables for the Firestudio to Central Station path. Thanks for your help so far, I think I'm making progress.
by matthewgorman on Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:19 pm
No, back in S1. When you add a send to the channel, you will see a lock icon on the send. Hitting that will lock the fader and pann for the send to the fader and pan for the channel. So when locked, the main fader for the track will control the send level for that mix. Not a good idea to use if you need separate mixes.

Matt

S1Pro V5

6 posts
Page 1 of 1