Routers, Switches, Cabling, Access Points, Repeaters, etc all discussed here
13 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi All

I'm new to using the RM32ai and have a question regarding connecting a Win7 laptop.

I have installed a TP-Link wireless router in the rack with the desk and it works faultlessly every time and connects to my iPads and also wireless to a Win7 laptop running the Surface software.

As a backup in case of losing WiFi i want to connect the laptop to the Ethernet port.
I plug in a cable to the router and the laptop is fine with that and sees the desk no problem.

If I turn off the router I lose both WiFi and the hard-wired connection. I assume I need to take the hard-wire connection from before the router.

Can I just use a simple Y-Splitter to create 2 ports from the RM32 or do I need a 'proper' hub.

How does everyone else do this please?
by seanbrown2 on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:52 am
if all you want is control , just plug you Ethernet cord directly into the RM . if you want to control and record use firewire no Ethernet required when firewire is connected

Last year traded up my 3 firepod pod chain for a RM32AI. just added CS18AI And I am LOVING IT!. The Home Studio set up. Home built. Amd fx 8350 8 core 4400 Mhz liquid cooled. Asus M5A99X-EVO R2 MotherBoard, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix 1866mhz Ram, 120 GB Intel SSD , 1TB Seagate HDD, 4TB HGST NAS HDD, 500 GB Seagate HDD. Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, SiiG DP FireWire 800 3 port PCIe card, tripple monitors 27 inch Asus Monitor / 2 24 Asus inch monitors , Studio one 3 pro, RM32Ai firewire to pc, QSC RMX 2450, RMX 1450, RMX 850. Furman RP-8D power conditioner. Audix Microphones. PDP Platinum Series Drums
by jimdobbs on Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:25 am
Thanks for your reply. At this moment I'm not bothered about recording as I have no computer capable with high enough specifications.

I'm simply wanting to use an iPad and/or laptop to control from FOH over wifi.

In addition I want the security of a wired laptop on stage near to the RM32 just in case I lose control over wifi wether it's because of a router problem or the iPad is flat or damaged or stolen!

I currently have the back-up laptop plugged into the wifi router and it all works fine. However, If the router power supply were to fail it knocks out both systems. I'm thinking that I need to connect the wired backup before the wireless router by using a splitter or a hub of some sort.

Just wanting practical advice on the best way to do this.
by Karyn on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:50 am
You could have a rack mount switch mounted in the same rack as the RM32 which you connect ALL the ethernet into, including the WiFi router. Make it one of the Netgear switches that PreSonus have tested for AVB and you'll be ready for network audio as well.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by jimdobbs on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:26 pm
Thanks Kayrn

It seems I just need to get myself to Maplins or PC World then!

It's hard to find specific information on this forum I find but I'll look deeper for the recommended hardware as you suggest.

Many thanks.
by Karyn on Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 am
Jim, the info you want is on page 2 of this pdf http://blog.presonus.com/wp-content/upl ... ve_AVB.pdf

note:
The Motu is a desktop 5 port switch and very expensive (for a 5 port switch)
The Netgear switches are much more affordable, BUT the AVB functionality is an extra you have to install.

I'm going with Netgear.

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by fromnaija on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:10 pm
I went with Netgear and even bought the AVB license. However, it appears PreSonus have certified only the MOTU and the Extreme Networks switches for AVB.

I will be testing my AVB setup tomorrow with the Netgear switch and see if I can figure out what the issues are. If not, I will wait until Dante cards are released before venturing into network audio as I do not want to purchase another AVB switch.

Studiolive RM32AI, Studiolive 16.4.2AI, Studiolive CS18AI, Studiolive 32, Studiolive 32R, Studio One 3 Professional, 2 x Studiolive 315AI, 2 x Studiolive 18sAI, 2 x ULT15, 2 x ULT18, dbx DriveRack VENU360, 2 x Crown XTi6002, 4 x Crown XTi4000, 2 x Crown XLS2500, 2 x Carvin HD3000, 2 x Carvin LS1802, 2 x Yamaha SW118V, 4 x Yamaha S215V, 2 x Yamaha S115V, 4 x Yamaha SM15V, Windows 10 8gb, MacBook Pro 16gb, Waves Impact Server plus Diamond and Horizon plug-in bundles.
by Karyn on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:22 am
Which Netgear switch did you get? In the AVB option card PDF I linked to above they specifically state that they've qualified 3 Netgear switches...

If they're lying that's just ....

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by fromnaija on Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:03 am
I got the NETGEAR GS716Tv3. It does not pass AVB audio but I was able to remote control the RM from my SL. I have a ticket opened to NETGEAR and they are having me try different configurations but none has worked so far.
The answer I got from PreSonus is that they are currently working with NETGEAR to resolve this issue.
On the other hand, because I had to demo AVB to a client, I went and got the MOTU switch which worked flawlessly and truly plug and play.

Studiolive RM32AI, Studiolive 16.4.2AI, Studiolive CS18AI, Studiolive 32, Studiolive 32R, Studio One 3 Professional, 2 x Studiolive 315AI, 2 x Studiolive 18sAI, 2 x ULT15, 2 x ULT18, dbx DriveRack VENU360, 2 x Crown XTi6002, 4 x Crown XTi4000, 2 x Crown XLS2500, 2 x Carvin HD3000, 2 x Carvin LS1802, 2 x Yamaha SW118V, 4 x Yamaha S215V, 2 x Yamaha S115V, 4 x Yamaha SM15V, Windows 10 8gb, MacBook Pro 16gb, Waves Impact Server plus Diamond and Horizon plug-in bundles.
by tjitzeweststrate on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:36 am
Any progress on the Netgear switch?
I hope it saves me buying the MOTU switch..
by matthewgorman on Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:19 pm
There seems to be some mis information in here. As of this post, AVB audio is not even available for the RM/AI mixers. Current AVB is for control only, however, you don't need AVB for just control in a 1 mixer setup. If you are running the RM as a stage box for an AI mixer, then you will need avb.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by Karyn on Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:31 pm
matthewgorman wroteThere seems to be some mis information in here. As of this post, AVB audio is not even available for the RM/AI mixers. Current AVB is for control only, however, you don't need AVB for just control in a 1 mixer setup. If you are running the RM as a stage box for an AI mixer, then you will need avb.

Oh come on Matt. Do you even know what AVB is?

AVB = Audio Video Bridging. To say "Current AVB is for control only" doesn't even make sense. You may as well be saying "Current wallpaper is for donuts only".

AVB only carries the audio packets NOT the control packets, and it IS available for both consoles and RM boxes. The stagebox function relies on it. Control data is sent in standard Ethernet packets, NOT the AVB extensions to Ethernet.

To control a Console/RM paired as stagebox from UC Surface requires either Wifi dongles, Firewire connection or an AVB compatible network switch to insert in the link so a WiFi router/access point can be added. The Motu switch works, the published literature says certain Netgear switches also work, but we were told a few weeks ago that actually... they don't... but it's being worked on...

So... any new news on the Netgear switches??

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by ekuykendall on Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:37 pm
Bump!

Tools: Studio One Pro, Capture, SL Room Control, UC Surface, QMix-AI
Computer: Mac Mini 2.6GHz 16GB w/256GB SSD, Lacie Thunderbolt 256GB SSD, iPad, iPhone
Network: TP-LINK WR-1043ND, MOTU AVB Switch

13 posts
Page 1 of 1