11 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am considering changing my 24' 1080p monitor with a 28' 4K monitor. S1 v3 supports High DPI monitors now but I wonder how the 3rd party plugins behave?

Do the show up in very small windows (because of the high resolution of the screen)? Or are they upscaled to 200% or something?

which is your experience with 4K monitors?

Guitarist and composer:
----------------------------------------------------
https://itunes.apple.com/it/artist/davi ... d968493291

My system:
MacBook Pro i7, 16 GB ram
Presonus Sphere
by dr4kan on Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:45 am
nobody with a 4K monitor?

Guitarist and composer:
https://itunes.apple.com/it/artist/davi ... d968493291

My system:
MacBook Pro i7, 16 GB ram
Presonus Sphere
by cubaseguy on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:18 pm
Hmmm, Just curious.

Why would you want to spend 3-4 times more for a monitor? What are you going to see in a DAW?

I could see running PhotoShop where you may need the extra detail, but Studio One?

Just sayin........ :?

Mike

Win 10 64bit Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz 16Gig ram Latest version of Studio One 4
by Beauvais on Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:46 am
Honestly, I don't know what that means, StudioOne being ready for high DPI displays. But unless they got some serious magic going on, things get very small on 4k displays unless they're huge. A friend of mine just bought a 40-inch 4k monitor for his studio and is happy with it, but a 28-incher is way too small IMO. I've been using a 30-inch monitor with its 2800x1600 (or thereabout) resolution and find that to be a good DPI density. With 4k on 28 inches you'll need magnifying glasses to see anything.

But then I don't know how good Windows is at scaling these days, so perhaps I got it all wrong..

i9-9900k octa core hackintosh with 32GB of RAM, running Mojave with a RME RayDat.
Latest StudioOne Pro of course, but mostly Cubase these days (unfortunately).
by oldblood on Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:31 am
:mrgreen: I use a 8k Braille monitor these days as my eye sight is so bad :XD:

Clive

i5 @4.4Ghz, 16 GB Ram, GTX 550TI graphics OS:Win7 64
Focusrite Sappire Pro 24DSP,Nektar Impact LX88,
KRK Rokit 6, Cakewalk MA-150.
DAW S1 V3 Professional
Synths: Reason,
Plugs: Waves, Slate,Soundtoys, Eventide, Lexicon, Melda and various.
by jpettit on Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:27 am
Beauvais wroteHonestly, I don't know what that means, StudioOne being ready for high DPI displays. But unless they got some serious magic going on, things get very small on 4k displays unless they're huge. A friend of mine just bought a 40-inch 4k monitor for his studio and is happy with it, but a 28-incher is way too small IMO. I've been using a 30-inch monitor with its 2800x1600 (or thereabout) resolution and find that to be a good DPI density. With 4k on 28 inches you'll need magnifying glasses to see anything.

But then I don't know how good Windows is at scaling these days, so perhaps I got it all wrong..

Bingo
It's all about DPI.
There are many websites which will calculate dpi for you for any given resolution and Monitor size.
Perfect size screen for HD resolution 1920 x 1080 is 24 to 27inches.
The optimum size 4K resolution is 40 inches.
In essence you get (4) HD monitors on one monitor.
If you look back on this forum when 3.0 was released I showed a full scale 40 inch version of studio one with full HD size arranger, mixer, editor, and a forth HD space full of all their new synths and plugins.
Even at 40 inches you will find some eye strain and start to use the OS video zoom. I keep everything at 100% and bring my web browser is up to about 120 %.

Most Plug-ins do fine. It really excels with Photoshop and Corel painter. I am not a gamer by games and of course streaming video look awesome on it.
It does take a rather hefty graphics card to drive it.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Beauvais on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:20 pm
jpettit wroteBingo
It's all about DPI.
There are many websites which will calculate dpi for you for any given resolution and Monitor size.
Perfect size screen for HD resolution 1920 x 1080 is 24 to 27inches.
The optimum size 4K resolution is 40 inches.
In essence you get (4) HD monitors on one monitor.
If you look back on this forum when 3.0 was released I showed a full scale 40 inch version of studio one with full HD size arranger, mixer, editor, and a forth HD space full of all their new synths and plugins.
Even at 40 inches you will find some eye strain and start to use the OS video zoom. I keep everything at 100% and bring my web browser is up to about 120 %.

Most Plug-ins do fine. It really excels with Photoshop and Corel painter. I am not a gamer by games and of course streaming video look awesome on it.
It does take a rather hefty graphics card to drive it.

That is my experience too. But as I've stated, I don't know how well Windows scales. On OSX (at least on Retina displays), one can scale anywhere between the default Retina resolution and the four times greater 'physical' resolution. I'm sure I'm explaining this totally wrong in technical terms, but I find that to be quite useful. Also Ableton Live for example can scale on its own. Considering this high res displays might make sense as they increase the viewing options. But they're also more expensive. Plus a used 30inch Dell can be had quite cheap and is a fine monitor I'd much rather use than those modern 4k things with their cheap panels, hyped contrasts, super saturated colours and bad viewing angles (unless you're willing to spend a lot of money on a true pro monitor of course).

i9-9900k octa core hackintosh with 32GB of RAM, running Mojave with a RME RayDat.
Latest StudioOne Pro of course, but mostly Cubase these days (unfortunately).
by codeten on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:21 pm
I use a 4K 42" TV as my main monitor running on the hdmi output of my Graphics card...its fine for apps and stuff although there is a very slight lag when playing games in 4K but its hardley noticable (and its a dman sight cheaper than a 4k monitor lol)..Studio 1 V3 has a tickbox in the settings for using 4k...the apps do get a little smaller but working on a 42" 4k screen is just great...I run multi monitors so I can drag anything from my main workspace onto another normal 1920x1080 monitor which is handy for VSTI's etc and the mixer is scaleable and looks great in 4K sat underneath the arrange window...i'll dig out my camera later and take a pic.
Peace
by codeten on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:49 pm
4KTV
0011.JPG
by matthewgorman on Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:45 am
Ha Ha, you launch rockets from there too?

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by webhamster on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:13 am
I'm using a 5k iMac and my second screen is a 4k screen. On the iMac it looks fine, on my other (Samsung) 4k screen it is at times hard to read text, due to the contrast in the new v3 interface (not a huge fan of it).

S1 6.5.1 - MacOs 13.6.2 MacBook 14" M1 max - interface: Quantum 2

11 posts
Page 1 of 1