15 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have been using my Firebox since late 2008 and it still works and fits my needs perfectly. Like many, I am excited to upgrade to Windows 10 at some point during the free upgrade period (1 year I guess). The last audio driver for the Firebox certified for Windows 7 was issued some time ago and I don't imagine it will get updated ever again as the Firebox in definitely in it's "unsupported" legacy stage of life.

So, what's the current opinion about whether these legacy products will work with Win 10? I read/hear that hardware certified to work with Windows 7 (and 8) will work with Windows 10.

I read that maybe this Firebox can get some extended life by sending it to PreSonus for a firmware upgrade. I never knew about that until a few minutes ago. Maybe the cost for that would be prohibitive. I dunno??

Thoughts please. Thanks ;)

Regards 8-)

PRock Studio

OS: Windows 10 Pro, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, DAW: Cubase Pro (latest version), Other Hardware: PreSonus TubePre, PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5

https://soundcloud.com/prockstudio
by cristofe on Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:01 am
Well.....I've gotten Inspires to work on Win 8.1 and Win 10 tech previews so I'm guessing your Firebox will work as well....but as to this:

I read that maybe this Firebox can get some extended life by sending it to PreSonus for a firmware upgrade.

That's news to me.....where did you read that? And, even if possible, (and I sort of doubt it), why spend the money.....you know what they say....if it aint broke....don't fix it!! :mrgreen:

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

Monitors: Yamaha HS50M's DAW: S1 3.2.1 Pro

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by prock on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:43 pm
cristofe wroteWell.....I've gotten Inspires to work on Win 8.1 and Win 10 tech previews so I'm guessing your Firebox will work as well....but as to this:

I read that maybe this Firebox can get some extended life by sending it to PreSonus for a firmware upgrade.

That's news to me.....where did you read that? And, even if possible, (and I sort of doubt it), why spend the money.....you know what they say....if it aint broke....don't fix it!! :mrgreen:

That's cool... but I guess I'll wait a bit to do the Win 10 upgrade until I see a few more having good luck with it.

As far as the firmware thingy..

I read something about it in this Mac OS related topic (first and last post). That's why I asked about it. I probably would not do it even if it was available. But, you never know. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=162&t=2384

Regards 8-)

PRock Studio

OS: Windows 10 Pro, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, DAW: Cubase Pro (latest version), Other Hardware: PreSonus TubePre, PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5

by cristofe on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:01 am
Yes, I find it's always better to wait a bit when it comes to a new OS and let others deal with bugs and fixes till things settle down.

The firmware "upgrade" you're referring to in that topic isn't an "upgrade". What it sounds like they are suggesting is that the user initially attempted the 1.1 firmware update and it failed. Which would then require tech support to reprogram the device.....this isn't an upgrade.....it's a repair....and if it aint broke..... ;)

PC'S: HP XW6000 Dual 3.2GHz Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM WinXP SP2 HP 6005 Pro AMD Athalon X2 B24 3.0Ghz, 4GB RAM Win8 Pro Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop Intel i5 2.67Ghz 8GB RAM Win7 Pro x64 Audio Interfaces: Terratec EWS88MT PCI (2), Audiobox 1818VSL USB & Firestudio 26x26 Firewire, Line 6 PodXT, Roland GS-10, NI Rig Kontrol 3

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by prock on Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:49 pm
Yeah... that sounds logical.

Thanks and regards. 8-)

PRock Studio

by cristofe on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:15 am
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

by prock on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:48 am
So... now that Windows 10 is out, has anyone had the guts to try your Firebox on it?

Please share your experience. Thank you ;)

Regards 8-)

PRock Studio

by bcodispoti on Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:47 am
So far I have had success, yes.

Installed Windows 10 Home "over-top" of my existing (and working with Firebox and S1 3.0.2) Windows 7 Home Premium system last night. I did an Acronis image prior to "just in case". In the Windows 10 installer (using a 64bit bootable USB drive from Microsoft's tool) I selected the option that allowed me to keep everything (settings, files, etc...) and when it came up, my desktop and icons were there, programs were there and most importantly the firebox (bus powered) blue light was on (as it should have been). I was able to get into the Firebox Control Panel and Mixer (though I did not mess with changing the settings). I launched S1 and it recognized the Firebox. I opened a song and hit play and it sounded fine as I listened for a short minute.

As to the long term reliability of it...don't know at this point as I just did enough to make sure it "worked", but have not put it through its paces with long term use to really see if it "works"...but so far so good.

I read somewhere that the trick in the past with getting the Firebox working with Windows 8/8.1 was having it working under Windows 7 and then doing the upgrade...but if you tried a clean install of Windows 8/8.1 and tried to install the Firebox drivers...it would not work. Just what I heard, and I assumed it would be a similar thing here, so that's the path I took (though with Windows 10) and I mention that for what it's worth to others.

I don't have my setup in my signature yet, but Its a circa 2013 Intel MoBo, Corei7 3770k (not overclocked), 16GB DDR3 1600 in dual-channel configuration, 512 OCZ SSD and a really cool aluminum case (the most important part). Not sure any of the other parts matter for this discussion.

Good luck. Would love to know if anyone else out there is having success or if they are running into issues. If problems arise, then the decision is "Keep the latest and greatest (debatable as of yet) Windows OS" or "Purchase a new Interface with official Windows 10 support".

Time will tell!
by cristofe on Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:54 am
...but if you tried a clean install of Windows 8/8.1 and tried to install the Firebox drivers...it would not work. Just what I heard, and I assumed it would be a similar thing here, so that's the path I took (though with Windows 10) and I mention that for what it's worth to others.

Just FYI....I was able to get Inspire, FP10, and Firebox drivers to install on a clean 8.1 system in compatibility mode. I can't say that about 10 as I did an upgrade rather than a clean install.

by bcodispoti on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:19 am
Good to know, thanks for the additional info!
by prock on Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:38 am
Great! Thank you for the feedback... :)

This gives me some confidence that my Firebox will keep working. Unfortunately I am going to hold upgrading to Win 10 on this PC that I use for my studio for a bit until my DAW gets the OK to do so. I will at some point, and when I do I will report how my 8 year old legacy PreSonus Firebox responds.

Regards 8-)

PRock Studio

by Ellinas on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:30 pm
Up upgraded from Windows 7 to W10 64 bit and the Firebox worked just fine.
Then I did a W10 clean install and Firebox no longer works. The Firebox
Installation exe States no support for W10.

What should I do?

Studio One Professional 3, Fl Studio 12, Cubase 7.5, Reaper 5, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 8, Windows 10 - 64bit, Firebox, iPad Air as Midi Controller.
by Ellinas on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:42 pm
I am not sure what I did but it was related to compatibility.
The Firebox works fine in the W10 64 bit clean install.
I hope this has not created any other issues.

Studio One Professional 3, Fl Studio 12, Cubase 7.5, Reaper 5, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 8, Windows 10 - 64bit, Firebox, iPad Air as Midi Controller.
by JCOOL on Mon May 23, 2016 4:16 pm
I had no choice with Windows 10, it basically high jacked my computer and installed Windows 10, over Windows 7. I wasn't home, but this is what my wife told me.
So, my worry was will my Firebox still work, and it didn't. Red light and Reaper software gave me the "can't find ASIO driver error". So, after reinstalling the Firebox driver in Windows 7 compatibility, still no luck. Went to the Device manager to check on the IEEE 1394 host controllers, and saw I had the VIA 1394 OHCI host controller installed. I read that the 1394 OHCI Host Controller (Legacy), might work, so I found the driver files and instructions how to install here ->
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2970191.
Updated my driver software to it, and blue light came on right after.
This is on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core Processor 6000, 32 bit. I've had this box forever.
by achernitskiy on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:03 pm
Just right click click property then compatibility click windows 7 and wala install.

15 posts
Page 1 of 1