This forum is for Tips and Tricks. Please do not post any questions in this forum. It is only for information.
279 postsPage 5 of 14
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14
Motoko

Drag and drop layering in Impact

Adding a new layer can also be done by dragging and dropping, using the Shift modifier. But no support yet for multiple files at once

House | Dubstep by Thedmncproject

i7 920 | W8.1 x64 | 12GB RAM | Samson | Studio One Pro v2 | Echo Audio Fire 4 | Nvidia GTX 480
by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:11 am
LMike

Split A Stereo File to Two Mono Files with one stem export. It reads more complex than it actually is.

Here is a stereo wav with discreet tones on each side to test this method for yourself with. tone.wav

1. From your stereo track control panel right-click and "Duplicate with Events" to make another copy.

2. On each of those two tracks in the mixer insert a Binaural Pan. Pan one hard left and the other hard right.
P.S. If you anticipate a lot of splitting, save the Binaural pans as plug-in presets "Hard L" & "Hard R" so you don't have to set them up.

(db's note: not sure what to do about the image below. Tried resizing it but then it was too small to appear without white borders. Sorry. Seems fine in the previous forum. Drag and drop from previous forum to this one works for other images but this image gets resized larger every time. Strange.) :?

3. Make sure you have two mono output busses in your I/O to use for this. It doesn't matter where they're assigned to. Like Cubase they can not be assigned at all to any hardware outs yet still render. (dummy outs). Keep them in your default setup so they're always available, if you want. They don't even have to be visible in the mixer to use them for splitting or rendering. If you want, name them "Split L" & "Split R" and hide them in the mixer.

4. Send each audio track copy pre-fader to one of the two mono output busses. Sends are created at unity so just create the sends and click the pre-fader buttons, nothing else to do. The track fader and pan settings don't matter here.

P.S. If you have other plugs on the original track or the copy you probably want to shut those off. We're making a perfect copy of the original, but split.

5. Render the stem channels of the two mono output busses to create two mono audio tracks from the original stereo track.

Done. Delete the stereo tracks.

i7 920 | W8.1 x64 | 12GB RAM | Samson | Studio One Pro v2 | Echo Audio Fire 4 | Nvidia GTX 480
by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:17 am
LMike

Locking Faders/Pans

In the interest of moving on from something that is really simple ...

When you get a good static mix you like, lock your faders down. Here is a very simple way to do it in S1 with faders in this example, but it could be pan or whatever.

Select the tracks, switch to automation, call the envelopes, switch to read, draw a selection at the beginning of the song and push the mouse up on it...

Locks in the current static setting. To get the static mix back for those tracks / parameters press "Play".

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:19 am
LMike

If you run your song length out well past what you need you can use the space past the end marker for storage. The song length is 9:00 but the End Marker is at 4:00. I have 3 different passes of the vocal verse that I can copy paste back to their original clips at any time. If you do this with automation, just make sure you put one node right at the end marker before pasting any stored automation past it.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:20 am
PreSonus

Drag and drop workflow

phpBB [video]

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:23 am
PreSonus

Automation - In depth Part 1

phpBB [video]

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:25 am
PreSonus

Automation - In depth Part 2

phpBB [video]

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:26 am
PreSonus

Automation - In depth Part 3

phpBB [video]

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:34 am
sunmachine

How to install custom Studio One pitch name presets

You got some Studio One pitch name presets for your favorite drum plug-in but don’t know where to put these so you can use them? Here’s the answer:

Step 1: Locate your Studio One pitch names preset folder
By default the preset folder resides in your document folder, that is .../Documents/Studio One/Presets/User Presets/Pitch Names/. Check the location settings of the Studio One preferences if necessary.

If parts of the above path don’t exist just create them with the file browser of your operation system.

Step 2: Put the preset files into your pitch names preset folder.
You can move (or copy) single preset files to Pitch Names or even entire folders thus grouping the presets by these folders’ names.

You should end up with something like this:

Note: If you use the drag-and-drop way described here to load presets there is no need to put the preset files into the Studio One preset folder. However, it’s a good idea to do it, so that you can also load them with the Pitch Name Editor.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:38 am
sunmachine

How to load pitch name presets in Studio One - Part 1

Loading presets with the Pitch Name Editor

Step 1: Select a track.

Step 2: Open the Music Editor.

Step 3: Click on the drum roll icon:

Step 4: Click on the wrench icon to open the Pitch Name Editor:

Step 5: Click on the arrow icon and select a preset from the drop-down list:

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:40 am
sunmachine

How to load pitch name presets in Studio One - Part 2

Loading presets via drag and drop

Alternative to use the Pitch Name Editor you can simply drag and drop a pitch name preset file from the file browser into the pitch name area of the Music Editor. You can select preset files in arbitrary locations on your hard drive -- it’s not necessary for the files to reside in a particular place. The file name extension of these preset files is .pitchlist (not shown in the Studio One file browser).

Tip: Use the bookmark feature of the file browser to create a quick link to your pitch names preset folder:

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:43 am
LMike

If you want to know what hotkeys exist, a look in the shortcut editor will tell you that. Just looking through the options screens and going through the various menus will lead you just about everywhere the application goes as relates to things like that.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:44 am
LMike

Automation transformer and setting a bunch of nodes to the same general value

You can "flatten out" a range of nodes pretty easily and then go back with the transformer and move them up/down as a group.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:45 am
LMike

Automation following Clips Part 1 - Audio

Here I have the option Options | Advanced | Editing | Disable Events Under Automation turned off, unchecked, so I can edit automation and audio events at the same time on the same track. In this case with events the envelopes always follow the clip, like Cubase follows in lanes. Midi clips with CC automation and audio related automation work the same way.

The hotkey for cycling through all the parameters is H for next and Shift+H for previous (forward / back) so you can get to any parameter currently being used there with those hotkeys. There is no "Show all Used Automation" function like Cubase's that would, for example, explode every individual envelope to it's own track in this case, and in the case of Cubase open all the lanes.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:47 am
LMike

Automaton following Clips Part 2- MIDI

Even with midi clips in arrange, the audio envelopes actually are exposed to the track for automation. Here you see a midi clip playing an instrument which has a gate inserted on it's audio channel. I can add envelopes for that gate plugin directly to the midi clip just like any other envelope and it follows the clip by default. I do it manually here but you can drag and drop any parameter with the "Hand" icon to get there quicker.

But the audio related envelopes are not exposed as automation envelopes in the midi editor. Same clip below but there are no "Inserts" parameter or any other audio related parameters available there to the midi editor directly as automation, only in arrange on the timeline as I've shown above.

Only CC and similar midi envelopes are exposed in the midi editor. In arrange you can combine and edit both.

The envelopes are there to be added manually, or in S1 via drag/drop, all plug-ins or whatever is inserted on the track. Midi or audio.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:50 am
LMike

Automaton following Clips Part 3 - Working with an automation track separate from the actual track

Those envelopes don't follow the clips. In S1 you have to select both the event and the automation data to move them together.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:52 am
LMike

Automation - Parameter "History List"

Everything "automatable" that you touch while producing or mixing, whether you've actually already automated it or not, is available in a "history list" from the plugin UI or the main interface so you rarely have to go digging for parameters.

Below is a new empty song where all I did was drag in a multi-band comp and then a limiter on a separate track and twiddled some knobs on both. Every knob I touched has it's parameters listed in that history menu, so you can, for example, pull parameters to automate from the main screen panel (or any UI panel) without even seeing the track where it is in arrange or without even having the plug-in UI open.

Take note that the parameter which currently has the "focus" in the multiband comp UI below for dragging in is not even from the multiband comp itself nor even the track it's inserted on. It's from a limiter plug-in inserted on a completely different track.

Select the parameter and drag it in with the hand. From anywhere, from any plug or instrument UI or at any time from the toolbar.

It's just one of the various reasons why some feel [collectively / as a system / overall / in it's totality / the whole magilla] that the automation system is much faster to use than some others. So if someone says "easier" they're generally talking about the system as a whole, not any given smaller part of it that perhaps could be better. When you put all of those little things together (imo) it's pretty slick... and easy... the automation system.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:53 am
LMike

Setting up Cue mixes with alternative Hardware or Drivers.

The "Zero Latency Hardware Cue Mixing" is proprietary to Presonus Hardware and drivers so yes, that only works from inside the software with Presonus hardware and drivers. There's really no way they could do as much with other mfg's hardware or drivers. It goes pretty far beyond ASIO 2.0 direct monitoring, which is not currently implemented in Studio One.

But you can use the cue mixes with any hardware or drivers if your system can run at low enough latencies to make that feasible for you through the software. Below I have it setup with the ASIO4ALL driver. Just check "Cuemix" in your output panel. The only potential flaw there (imo) is that you can't have mono cues... which might come in handy for mobile devices with fewer outputs.

If you want zero latency cue mixes directly from your hardware and you don't have a compatible Presonus audio device, use the mixer software for your hardware, like MOTU's Cuemix or similar.

Hope that helps.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:56 am
LMike

Controlling the Velocity of new Notes

There is a way to control velocity of new notes added manually and it may not be in the manual, not sure., but I couldn't any find any reference to it. Whatever you set the velocity to in the midi editor inspector is the value any new notes will be placed at.

If you pause your mouse over that slider you'll see a pop-up balloon saying "Default Velocity". Just make sure no notes are selected when you go to change it or it will change those note velocities.

Also, if you keep holding the mouse button on the second click - double click to add a new note - you can adjust the velocity of the new note by dragging the mouse up/down as soon as you add the note.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:57 am
berdstrom

Organising plugins (favourites) in Studio One

I might recommend using the FX Chains feature. You can create one or more chains that include all your favorites then drag the chain to the browser and label it Favorites. The trick is that you can browse into the chain and just pull out the effect you want and drag it into your project.

First drag all your favorites to an insert to create the chain

Then drag the chain to the browser and rename it to FAV FX or similar. I used a "!" prefix to get to sort to the top of the list. Open the chain and drag out your favorite individual FX whenever you need them

279 postsPage 5 of 14
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14