This forum is for Tips and Tricks. Please do not post any questions in this forum. It is only for information.
279 postsPage 4 of 14
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14
Parameter Automation

[Various user tips]

kreeper_6
Also you can just press "A" next to the hand.

nick
To complete this fabulous tip: For midi parts of any vsti you can also drag this "hand" to the music editors automation lanes. The parameter becomes automatable right in the selected midi part.

eike (PreSonus)
or use the keycommand ([Alt+A] for standard layout).

Another one: when you're using a remote with local (i.e. plugin) mapping keep open the remote window (available from the external devices list in mixer) to see your current mapping and to drop parameters using the hand onto the remote controls. this works for global (i.e. song) mapping,

House | Dubstep by Thedmncproject

i7 920 | W8.1 x64 | 12GB RAM | Samson | Studio One Pro v2 | Echo Audio Fire 4 | Nvidia GTX 480
by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:14 am
LMike

Using the Edit Mappings button (right arrow in image below)

To clarify the great tip, you don't have to use the box on the project window since every effect window has it's own... less "mouse traveling".

Also take note that the history of things you touched is not dependent on the current plugin window, so here I can create an envelope for a different plugin that's on a different track (Flanger), and not even currently displaying it's GUI, from that delay plugin window GUI. So that box is "global" like the one in the top left of the project window.

i7 920 | W8.1 x64 | 12GB RAM | Samson | Studio One Pro v2 | Echo Audio Fire 4 | Nvidia GTX 480
by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:20 am
Sharing your Songs - with other S1 users.

Just follow these basic steps to share any Song with another S1 user....

1. Go to Song > Copy External Files This will copy any imported files into your Song Media folder.

2. Use the File > Save command to save the Song.

3. Go to Song > Show Media Folder in Explorer. That will take you to the Media folder for that Song. Go up one level from that folder and you should see other folders including your S1 .song file for that Song.

4. Copy everything there, put it in a folder and zip it all up to another S1 user.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:22 am
eike [PreSonus]

i'd say rather use file->save to new folder.
in that save-dialog create a new folder and save into that.
you will be asked if unused files should be removed.
afterwards zip/rar/compress that folder and send the archive off

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:23 am
LMike

Re: editing in general for the rest of you guys ...

From a long time Cubase user here's a tip if you prefer to use the mouse tools and not key commands. Put your left baby finger on the "1" key and using four fingers go through 1,2,3,4. For tools 5 & 6 use the same index finger you use for tool four. You'll be flying through the tool selections and all you ever have to do is locate the "1" key to start.

If you run through them in order a few times until you get a feel for where they are you'll get used to it rather quickly, with the most important part being that "1" always brings the selection arrow back. Associating that with what you see on the toolbar (finger to icon) or mouse cursor happens pretty fast if you spend a few minutes doing it and eventually "index finger, erase something, back to arrow" will be pretty quick.

Actually, when you start doing it get in the habit of looking at the mouse cursor as you change them (not the toolbar) and you'll see what I mean.

P.S. If or when they start adding additional items/tools under those to the tool lists I think they'll follow the same methods there. If there are ever 3 tools under an icon I suppose you'll be able to just keep tapping the same key to cycle through them.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:26 am
LMike

If snap is turned on just draw the highlight and push "up" on the part like I do below to quickly
split

If snap is off and you don't want the part positioning to change, use the key command. Once you get into 1.5 you should be able to change that 3-key "split range" command combination into a single key to make that easier. And get used to using the CTL (CMD on Mac I think) for the range tool modifier, it makes editing much faster than manually switching tools.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:27 am
eike (PreSonus)

Adjusting controls

Most controls (i.e. knobs, sliders, handles) in studio one can be fine-adjusted by holding the shift key and reset to default value when holding [cntrl]/[cmd] and clicking on them

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 am
LMike

Import Midi Tip

If you're already working in a song and you want to open a standard midi file in it's own new song, respecting the tempo of the file for instance, drag/drop from the browser to the toolbar area instead of the arrange space. Faster than File | Open for me anyways... since we already have file system access in the browser.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:32 am
Song Page

MIDI file trigger

1. IIRC dragging a MIDI file under the last track in the Arrange View also triggers the creation of a new Song for that MIDI file.

2. A General MIDI Sounds prompt will then pop up and when a user choses that option AFAICT S1 will then load up Presence on the track the MIDI file resides on (in the new Song).

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:39 am
Song Page

Quickly swap out VSTi's on instrument tracks

1. Select an Instrument Track

2. Click on the Instrument Output field (driectly under the Mute Solo Record and Monitor buttons) for a drop down list of VSTi's to choose from. Any VSTi's in your song, including those not already dragged to a track (in the Arrange view) will be visible on that list...

3. You can also roll your mousewheel over the Instrument Output field to change VSTi's.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:56 am
Song Page

Decrease / Increase velocity (or similar values) with a straight line

1.Double Click on a MIDI file to open it within the Editor

2.Click on the Part Automation Lane button (bottom left of Editor when working with MIDI)

3. Hold down the Alt key and drag across the Part Automation Lane..

Part Autom Lane editing.jpg
Part Autom Lane editing.jpg (17.48 KiB) Viewed 336083 times

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:59 am
Parameter Automation

Quick Volume automation track set up

1. Right click on a mixer fader or on the volume slider of an audio track in the Arrange view to acess an "Edit Volume Automation" command.

2. Click on this to have S1 auto create a Volume automation track for you.

Great for quickly setting up automation tracks and having a dedicated Volume Automation track for the Master out.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:50 am
Project Page

Open Songs

You can drag in a .song file in the Project Page to start a bounce of that song. But what about opening a Song from the Project view to fully edit it in the Arrange view?

1. Right click on the mastering file in the Project view Window and select "Edit Song". This will load up you Song as normal so you can edit it as normal.

2. Wondering what the "Show in Explorer" command will do? That will take you to the location of the .song file.

3. Alternatively you can click on the Edit Song button (Spanner icon) on a track within the Project Page track pane, to load that Song as normal for editing.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:52 am
LMike

Maybe an old and widely known thing but anyway...

Plugin verb to cans with direct monitoring by using a send on the input channel, which still works in it's latent state even when monitoring at 0, and then sending the result of that to the cans. This was a little tricker to do in Cubase because the sends didn't work under ASIO DM (IIRC). With the PreSonus monitoring the latent audio is still there to be used which is cool..

Set the verb pre-delay to 0 since any system latency will behave as a kind of pre-delay anyway and set output wet/dry mix to 100% wet. I ran this with 50ms system latency and it sounded fine. I think it would work ok for any source where the verb would be pre-delayed a bit anyway. It's all quite automatic since the sends get created by themselves.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:05 am
FX Focus

Studio One Level Meter - Part 1

The Level Meter can provide an accurate set of meters for any part of your signal chain.

1. Place it on the master out for a nice overview of your mix.

2. Place it at the end of your tracks signal chain to gauge the level of that individual track.

3. Place it between plugins to see what levels are going out or into a plugin. (This is especially useful for plugins that do not have input and / or output meters of their own).

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:12 am
FX Focus

Studio One Level Meter - Part 2

1. I use the Micro view for the Level Meter as it is easy to get a Meter reading at any part of the signal chain without opening the GUI for the plugin. To do that simply right click on the Level Meter plugin and choose "Expand". You can find out more about that here.

A "Collapse" command will replace the "Expand" Command on the same menu should you need to hide the Micro view.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:16 am
FX Focus

Studio One Level Meter - Part 3 (Re -Size the UI)

1. You can easily resize the Level Meter UI by simply dragging the edge of the plugin UI, so it can be as long as the size of your screen right across the S1 Interface. Just keep dragging.

2. Vertical meters? Yes. Just drag the top of the GUI upwards to have access to a nice set of Peak / RMS vertical meters for any track and anywhere in your signal chain.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:29 am
FX Focus

Studio One Level Meter - Part 4 (Feature overview)

1. "Corr" - This button will display Phase correlation.

Want to know more about Phase in general? have a look at this article.

Don't forget Studio One still has a dedicated Phase Meter plugin (since 1.0 was released) as well.

2. "TP" This button will adjust the Meter readings to show True Peak readings.

3. "Conf" This button will reveal more options for Meter reading inlcuding RMS and various K Meter options.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:34 am
LMike

General Lead Vocal Treatment Tip

Not an S1 tip per se just a general tip.

One thing I often do with lead vox is tweak effects/eq for long periods of time trying to decide what sound I want. One method I've found to help is to create groups with different effect chains and by assigning the lead vox to a particular group I can audition different settings and tweak different chains and compare them.

It works in any daw with groups and since plugin settings don't generally get included in the undo history you can do this for multiple chains as you work out how you want your lead vox to sound. I usually only have three groups for that with a variance of plugs and settings. You can switch the group assignments during realtime playback in S1 with only minor glitching to get an A-B-C of your chains.

by db on Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:36 am
LMike

Change your plugin presets with simple double click in the Browser

"While working last night... I had no idea... re: plug-in presets.

With a plug-in window open like Presence I usually browse through sounds in the browser and drag/drop them to the plug-in window to change sounds. I prefer that over the plug-in window preset menu system.

What I had no idea about (RTFM? ) was that the plug-in with the current focus doesn't even require a drag from the browser ... just a double-click in the browser to change presets. Nice. I need to read the manual again and see what else I may have missed."

279 postsPage 4 of 14
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14