Discuss using Dante, Audinate Software and Dante enabled consoles, etc.
11 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm sure room control will continue to function. Will it be as if it were hard wired or still wifi with the Dante card installed?
by Karyn on Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:21 am
You treat Dante like regular networking, the only difference is a Dante card is optimised for audio traffic. Normal network traffic is not affected thus you don't use the WiFi dongle at the same time.

Karyn

-------------------------------------------------------
SL32ai, RM32ai, SL328AI x2, SL18sAI x2, all Dante.
Studio 192, Digimax FS, Faderport,
Sonar Platinum, Studio One.
http://refer.waves.com/dzDVn
Dante Level2 certified.
by mech2161 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:02 am
So if that is the case, what about remote Room Control via the IPad app? I know Dante doesn't play nice with any system tied to wifi.
by Karyn on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:04 am
Obviously I don't have any Dante cards in my system yet... But I am a networking engineer of 30 years, so the way it should work is...

Use a gigabit network switch as the hub of the whole network.
Connect your speakers (with Dante cards) to the switch with Cat6 (or Cat5) cable.
Connect your mixer (with Dante card) to the switch with Cat6 (or Cat5) cable.
Connect a WiFi access point to the switch.
Connect your iPads and iPhones using WiFi to the access point.

I'm told that a speaker with Dante will output the audio on its line out to feed other speakers in the same stack... in which case those other speakers will need either Cat5(6) or WiFi dongle for their control.

Until the Dante cards for the SL speakers are released for us to play with, or Presonus gives us a definitive "How to" guide to setting it all up, we can only speculate as to how it should work...

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by mech2161 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:10 am
I have Dante for my X32. Waiting as everyone else for cards for my AI315's. So far it's a tight rope to get things to play together with wifi. It's seems to be the sequence that everything is brought online as to wether it will function. I guess the price isn't to bad for the cards compared to a card for a mixer.
by Karyn on Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:38 am
I can see there being potential conflicts in a speaker with both Dante and a WiFi dongle... But you'd get same problems with the standard Ethernet and a WiFi dongle...

You use one or the other, but not both.

Karyn

Dante Level2 certified.
by mwright137 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:04 pm
Plugging in Ethernet disables wifi. I would assume Dante will do the same but that's just a guess.

I am Sir Melvis Bacon, Knight of BaconHam Palace.

Studio One 2 Pro 3.3.x (64 bit). MacBook Pro 13". OS X Sierra version 10.12.3.
RM16AI and CS18AI connected in Stagebox mode via MOTU AVB Switch.
StudioLive 328AI (x2); AudioBox 22 VSL; BlueTube DP V2; FaderPort; Monitor Station; RC 500; Temblor T10.

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.

My Website
by mech2161 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:10 pm
mwright137 wrotePlugging in Ethernet disables wifi. I would assume Dante will do the same but that's just a guess.

If that were the case you couldn't use the remote iPad app. Wifi can be used with a Dante card. Very carefully I might add. It just remains to be seen how the speaker cards will function with other parts of the system.
by roblof on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 pm
Yes, audinate/dante do not recommend dante on the same network where any wifi (be it routers, dongles, etc...) is connected.

It has something to do with how the broadcast of the packets works and the constraints of the wifi.

This means that vsl/iRemote must be on a different subnet to not create issues with dante.

On a computer audinate/dante it is not possible to control/stream dante via wifi and they say that having two different network interfaces on the computer is a big no-no.

In essense you need to be very carefull of how you setup your dante network and your vsl/iRemote network.

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by dovima on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:18 pm
Will Dante work with an avion monitoring system? Qmix is great but a few guys I play with like hardware controllers.

Thanks,

Domenic
by Monolithent on Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:27 pm
It should dovima but that's a question you'd be better off asking Aviom.

Also, to address the above questions. The iPad app will still function as the iPad is not tied to the speakers, it is tied to the router. The router is just providing the network via Cat5/6 for the switch further down the line and Room Control itself will not function on a dummy switch. I cannot verifyif it will function on a smart switch as I don't have one to test it.

11 posts
Page 1 of 1