5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Does anyone have any custom rules for the Garritan Personal Orchestra 4? I am especially interested in rules for the woodwinds.

Thanks,

Troy
by fabiobiolcati1 on Tue May 26, 2015 8:32 am
Hi Troy.

At a first glance, it seems thet there's not much to rule in Garritan Woodwinds since Flute and Piccolo are the only instruments you can control via keyswitches for some sort of variation (vibrato, non-vibrato and flutter), but I guess this is already covered by standard rules.

Still, you will be able to alter sample length or vibrato speed (although non continuously) by loading the same intrument to another AriaPlayer slot, assign it to another midi channel and write a rule that says "When [anything of your choice here], then switch to channel x, where CC21 is set to x%".

Strings are eligible for further rule customization beyond the standard Notion set, since you have harder attacks and aggressive bowstrokes at your disposal: combining them in layers with different levels of aggressiveness and sample lengths you will obtain variously shaped sforzandi and staccati.

I'm still bound to Notion3, but don't hesitate to contact me to jump in for some help.

Best regards.

———————
Fabio Biolcati
Notion5
VSL SE 1 & 1+; 2 & 3 SE Strings
GPO4
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo iMac
4GB RAM
10.11.4 El Capitan OSX
by drumlogik808 on Tue May 26, 2015 9:00 am
fabiobiolcati1 wroteI'm still bound to Notion3, but don't hesitate to contact me to jump in for some help.

Hey fabiobiolcati1, it would be great if you could upload any GPO Custom Rules if you have them. :+1

Mac mini (Server, late 2012) 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM, (2011) Macbook Pro 15" 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB RAM, Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.4 & 10.10.3, Notion 5.1, Sibelius 7.5.1, Logic 10.1.1
by fabiobiolcati1 on Tue May 26, 2015 9:01 am
Just give me the time to write one someday. :oops:

———————
Fabio Biolcati
Notion5
VSL SE 1 & 1+; 2 & 3 SE Strings
GPO4
2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo iMac
4GB RAM
10.11.4 El Capitan OSX
by johnnewberry on Wed May 27, 2015 11:01 pm
I agree with Fabio.
There really is not much functionality to gain by creating Custom Rules for the GPO instruments.
Yes! there are some additional properties with parameters that can be controlled with Custom Rules. I'm not that impressed though.
(getting realism out of some of the Garritan sounds is a challenge.)

Very basic rule modifications and simple rule inclusions can make the Garritan instruments better though.

But to make it clear, the major issue I find with Garritan is that the current version of
Notion 5 does not respond or transmit MIDI After-touch (AT) / Channel Pressure data.
The Garritan Aria players "vibrato intensity" is only accessible using MIDI "AT" .

Well, there are workarounds for Notion to control "Stand-Alone and ReWire DAW hosted instruments that use AT.

Notion and the use of Custom Rules can generate External MIDI data including Continuous Control data "cc".
An inline MIDI data converter can be used to convert the cc data into AT data.
Notion Custom Rules cannot generate or send a stream of cc data but at least the Garritan vibrato intensity can be turned on and off from within a Notion score.

And as mentioned by Fabio previously, Notion Custom Rules "can" also be used to change the vibrato speed using cc17 and there are a "few" other properties with parameters that can be controlled.

That's it for the most part.
Notions built-in generic rules for the GPO library cover IMO 99% of what GPO has to offer.

However the other Garritan instrument libraries i.e. JABB, World and COMB can better benefit from the creation of Custom Rules for Notion.
(No AT though).

It's a shame AT is not supported or recognized in Notion 5. To me that's a major flaw.
MIDI "Program Change is also not supported in Notion.
Again, inline data conversion of cc data into MIDI program change is an alternative.
I've done it. It works.

,Newberry

:arrow:

5 posts
Page 1 of 1