StudioLive 2442, 1642 and 1602 with Universal Control Ai, SL Remote & QMix
42 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
I would just like to know how many of you out there have experienced a dsp board failure with your studiolive 16.4.2's. Seems like I'm reading this in a lot of posts. Mine failed and the repair is very costly. Here in Canada, Erickson Audio is repairing mine through Long and Mcquade Music and I just got the estimate for repair with shipping at 685.00. Seems the dsp board has to be replaced.
I realize things fail and unless I want an oversized paper weight I don't have much of a choice but to get it repaired. My issue here is that I can't get a straight answer to a simple question out of Presonus. Has my new dsp board been re engineered to fix what appears to be a serious design fault ( as a great many of these appear to be failing ) or am I getting the same old dsp board design that failed the first time.
by Black_Haus on Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:11 pm
Good question,

Mine is on it's way back from repair right now. Got an update that stated: "components replaced - DSP Board" along with some other part numbers. I too would like to know if the replacement part is the same as the failed one.

You should be able to get your board repaired through Presonus for a Flat Bench fee of $175 as long as you obtain a Return Authorization number.

Dell XPS 8930 - Win10 64-Bit i7 8700K 32GB RAM 512 SSD 2TB HD S1 2 Pro, S1 3 Pro & S1 4 Pro
HP Omen - Win 10 64-Bit i7 7700HQ 12GB RAM 1TB HD S1 4 Pro
Firestudio Project x 2, StudioLive 16.4.2, Audiobox 44VSL Yamaha HS8 & HS10
Roli Seaboard Block & Lightpad, Nektar Impact LX49+, Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Avatar, ADA, SWR

https://www.zeroempire.net
https://constantcollision.com
https://www.youtube.com/zeroempire
by lonestaroasis on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:49 am
I asked for my old parts back, i.e. the old failed dsp board mainly so I can: A) try and determine if it failed due to overheating of components and B) If it is an identical copy of the old failed board.
I feel I have to do this for peace of mind and to determine if I'm prepared to roll the dice on this repair or cut my losses and move on to another board and brand.
good luck with yours.
by summitcn on Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:29 am
lonestaroasis wrotemainly so I can: A) try and determine if it failed due to overheating of components

The AI consoles have fans in them now.

-Scott
by Black_Haus on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:06 pm
Yea, I hope it holds up better in the future. Mine was only used for about 8 shows and once a week in my home studio for a few months at practice. It was pampered anytime it was removed from my home studio.

I wonder if Presonus would recommend installing a fan into the older boards?

Dell XPS 8930 - Win10 64-Bit i7 8700K 32GB RAM 512 SSD 2TB HD S1 2 Pro, S1 3 Pro & S1 4 Pro
Roli Seaboard Block & Lightpad, Nektar Impact LX49+, Fender, Gibson, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Avatar, ADA, SWR

by sjc193 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:46 am
I had the same problem about 2 to 2-1/2 years ago. I was still under warranty, the fix reported was "resoldered DSP board", so I do not believe it was replaced, it's been working fine ever since (so far).

Fix was in Baton Rouge at Presonus (inside the US)

If you live in the US you can get them fixed for $175 (comes with a 1 year warranty too), but outside the US is a different ballgame, 700 seems like a lot to me, I'd definitely be touting "why in the US 175" to your repare company but it will probably not do you any good I suppose.

I have not seen anyone have this type of hardware issue with the new AI models, Thanks Goodness! My next will be an RM32, just need my 16.4.2 to last one more year!

Good Luck!

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
Rackmount Windows 8.1 PC Quad core 8G ram
ASUS RT-N66U Dual Band Router
IPad2, IPad Air 2, Studio One 3 Pro, 1 DBX Driverack 260
2 QSC KW 153's, 2 Turbosound TMS-1's
2 OHM MR450D Subs with Kilomax 18inch drivers
4 EV ZLX-12P's, 1 TurboSound iX15, 2 Yamaha S115V's
1 Crest Pro-Lite 7.5 (7500 watts) amp, 2 Behringer EP4000 amps
10 58/57 mics, 1 SM86, 1 sE8, 1 sE2200, 1 AT2020, 2 AT2021
1 beta52 kick mic, 2 e609, 2 Radial J48 DI's, 1 PRO48 DI
2 4Bar lights, 1 4Play, 1 6Spot, 1 fog machine
by lonestaroasis on Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:27 am
I have mine loaded in a rack with 2 power amps and a rack mount computer.
The lid on the top also houses a full 22" monitor. Below the board is a pull out shelf with a wireless keyboard. Kind of a large setup but finding a laptop with FireWire proved very difficult. Anyways I have cut in two small and quiet computer fans on either side of the case where the board sits, directly next to the vent holes. One fan blows in the other , on the opposite side blows out.
I really believe the failure was heat related, as I had been smelling an odd plastics smell emanating from the board for quite some time before the failure, and wondered about the whole heating issue and the lack of a fan.....lesson learned.
by jerialice on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:02 pm
What are the symptoms of this failure? thanks
by sjc193 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:54 am
jerialice wroteWhat are the symptoms of this failure? thanks

Symptoms are that board freezes solid, no sound, all meters including gain reduction meter pegged.

This will happen after just a few minutes of everything working correctly and fine, then bamm, no sound, meters pegged.

A fairly sure bet that it's hardware is that this happens with no computer attached in stand alone mode/nothing attached to firewire.

If the freezing only happens when attached to firewire computer, but works fine standalone, then that points to software issues or a computer issue such as not connecting on boot up.

StudioLive RM32AI
by mamerica on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:38 am
I had a Classic 24.4.2 fry. It had a funny smell from day one that always worried me. It lasted 30 days so I was able to exchange it. That one lasted about a year before it had to go back for repair.
But my 16.4.2 always worked great. No problems yet with the 16.4.2 AI

RM16AI; StudioLive 16.4.2 AI;
MacBook Pro; MacMini;
Studio One Proffesional; FaderPort
Waves MultiRack
by yauheniprystupa on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:25 pm
My 16.4.2 froze in the middle of the state fair concert last year. Not a good time to die on me :) It was a hot day. I am pretty sure that the heat(90F day, stage in a very big tent) killed it.

Presonus support replaced the DSP board last February or March.

I only used the board once since then and kept it in the closet for the rest of the year. Pulled it out last month for a test and ran into the same issues again.

Sent it in for another repair. Same DSP board replaced. The board is on the way back.

I am selling this mixer the day I receive it back.
by Black_Haus on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:07 pm
So it seems that when they repair these failed DSP boards they just stick the same type of board back in there? I guess hoping it'll last until the 1 year warranty runs out? I'm not too confident in my mixer at the moment

by yauheniprystupa on Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:10 am
It is really odd. My friend has the same board. It was purchased very shortly after they were first released. He plays 150 shows a year and his 16.4.2 never had issues with DSP. He had to send it in for repair of input jacks, but nothing serious other than that.

I play rarely, as a hobby. The mixer lasted about 10-12 times before the first repair. 1 gig before the second repair.

It is hard to draw precise conclusions here.
by Black_Haus on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:26 pm
It would be nice if someone from inside Presonus could confirm this, but maybe they may use more than one vendor/manufacturer for the boards and one brand is more robust than the other.

by sjc193 on Fri May 01, 2015 11:16 am
When my mixer was repaired 2 years ago at Presonus for this problem, they just resoldered the DSP board, my ticket did not say it was replaced just resoldered.

So, I don't know, maybe that tells you something?

Still working great ever since (knocking on my wooden desk right now)

I've had some really good times with lots of giant amps and speakers galore that were completely silenced by a tiny 5 amp fuse blowing. It kinda blows your mind to hold that little fuse up in the light and realize the fact that all that giant breathtaking sound has to go through this tiny little wire first. . .

(I know that's not literally true but in a sense. . . it don't work without it)

Steve

StudioLive RM32AI
by lonestaroasis on Sat May 02, 2015 6:45 am
Anatomy of a failure
got my board back repaired and also the old failed dsp board returned as well.
it appears the old board failed as a result of overheating. As I'm sure most already know the older classic series mixers have only passive cooling through side vents located on both lower rear panels on the sides of the board. I can only assume at this time that this is not adequate to provide proper cooling for the enclosed electronics. I probably compounded this issue by having mine mounted in a console desk. I believe the new boards have a fan mounted for cooling purposes as this must have been an issue with the many failures that appear to be happening to the older series boards. As I indicated earlier I have mounted two 3 1/2 inch fans directly on either side of the passive cooling vents, one blowing in another blowing outward to move air through the board. I am reasonably sure this will cure my heating issues. just as a word of caution to anyone mounting this board in such a fashion or having it sit in the lower half of a road case, be sure there is adequate air flow and these vent holes are not compromised. My EWI road case also impedes this venting as well. All for now, good luck with your boards
by KillerHurtz on Sat May 02, 2015 7:25 am
sjc193 wroteIf you live in the US you can get them fixed for $175 (comes with a 1 year warranty too), but outside the US is a different ballgame, 700 seems like a lot to me, I'd definitely be touting "why in the US 175" to your repare company but it will probably not do you any good I suppose.

This it typical of the discrepancy with Presonus/Erickson Audio repairs, 3X what it would cost inside the U.S. It would be nice if Presonus would address this, its a fact that could hurt their international sales.
by livedb on Tue May 05, 2015 12:35 pm
Hi guys! I'm Back!!

Well, my board just popped again this weekend at an outdoor show in DC. :cry:

Same exact story as SJC.
I Had it repaired back in Sept 2012. the "re-soldered DSP board" and returned it. I have been using it ever since and have had no problems! 50 shows a year. Mostly indoor hotel weddings.

When I was all set up, running background music,and I heard the pop, I immediately had that feeling I would be shipping it off again. After finding new power sources, and eliminating other options, it did it three times more and I had to use my back up board for the first time since installing it in the rack...just in case.

It took my brain a while last time to get over the disappointment in my first fully digital board.
I was one of the people screaming that it happened at the worst time, and how can I trust it ever again. But, after having used it without issue for so long, I think I just like it too much to change now. I love it, and might just buy a used one to keep as a back up if it happens again.
in the end, The 175$ to fully refurbish and new warranty it is still a good deal. I just wish they could fix it once, and it would last longer.

I really came back today to do research on the newer series. I have to wonder if there are any issue with the AI or RM series. It might be nice to upgrade, but I don't know enough about the current series to avoid another problem child.

Just thought I would add this info for the record.

Enjoy! Bacon forever!!!

by timquinn on Sat May 16, 2015 6:22 pm
Apparently I'm the latest victim of this particular failure. :( I run a not-for-profit music program for kids and our 16.4.2 worked fine until we did a recent outdoor show. It was a warm day (about 90F) but we had the mixer in the shade the whole time. Additionally, it functioned without issue throughout the show but developed the dreaded "freezing problem" the next day back at our indoor, air-conditioned facility.
This DOES seem to support the idea that overheating is a contributing factor, if not the SOLE reason for board failure. Of course, we are out of warranty and Presonus gave is the 'ol "here's your RA--send it back to us and pay for the repair."
As someone else stated, failures happen; especially in equipment this complex. However, given that this is such a pervasive issue, it sure seems like Presonus might offer their customers a better solution.
I'd like to see them treat it like a vehicle recall; responsible automotive manufacturers do these all the time when they've made critical engineering mistakes or sourced a part that ends up being problematic on a large scale. Why should electronics manufacturers be any different?
Perhaps if we can get enough forum members posting to this topic, Presonus might do something more than ignore the issue...
by livedb on Sat May 16, 2015 7:59 pm
As this product is now discontinued I don't think there's any chance for a solution other than repairing and replacing the problem board. It seems that the new boards have not had any issues that are posted yet , so hopefully the lesson was learned in the first generation.

I still feel the flat rate repair fee, and one year warranty are a decent value. Now we can ship to New Jersey as well which is cheaper.

I bought one of the last ones on the pre-Sonos eBay auction as a backup. So now I own two. . ;)

42 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3