Discuss Notion Music Composition Software here.
7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Notion 3-4 had not great, but decent support for custom tunings in string tabulatures, now it looks like it is not available any more? Old scores still can be edited, but if one needs a tuning for which the old score could not be used as a template -- what to do?
by Funkybot on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:07 am
You're right. The "Tablature Tuning" option is missing in Notion 5.

I'd report this directly to Notion as a bug. I have to think this was an oversight. It's almost a rule of software development that you never take away features from the prior version in a major new release (unless you find a better way to get the same results).

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by notion_admin on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:37 am
The Guitar Tuning and Capo feature is in the palette. You now get a dialogue that allows you to change the tuning and the Capo fret as you wish.

We did not oversight this feature. It is in, Notion 5 is slightly different. A little more organized. See the pictures below.

Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 10.32.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 10.32.23 AM.png

Regards,
by Funkybot on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:25 am
joshuaweesner wroteThe Guitar Tuning and Capo feature is in the palette. You now get a dialogue that allows you to change the tuning and the Capo fret as you wish.

We did not oversight this feature. It is in, Notion 5 is slightly different. A little more organized. See the pictures below.

Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 10.32.30 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 10.32.23 AM.png

Regards,

Thanks, it's the move that threw me off. It kinda made sense in the Staff Settings, and it's where I was used to it, but it's good that it's not hidden within a tab in a menu somewhere so kudos!

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by phillwalker on Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:33 pm
I am a steel guitarist using 8 & 10 string tabs, I have just purchased Notion & discovered that I cannot create custom tabs for my C6 tunings. Is this correct? :roll:
by Surf.Whammy on Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:02 pm
phillwalker wroteI am a steel guitarist using 8 & 10 string tabs, I have just purchased Notion & discovered that I cannot create custom tabs for my C6 tunings. Is this correct? :roll:

This is an old thread (circa 2014), and the custom tuning stuff might have been gone at the time, but it's back, hence support for custom tunings in string tabs in NOTION 5 is not gone . . . :reading:

You can have 8-string and 10-string tabs in NOTION 5 . . .

I did a quick experiment to verify this and it works nicely, but it's done in NOTION 5 Score Setup rather than via the new NOTION 5 Palette tuning feature . . .

(1) In NOTION 5 Score Setup create a new Electric Guitar (7 string) staff . . .

(2) On the "Notation/Tab" panel for the newly created staff, you will see that there are defined pitch values for seven strings . . .

[NOTE: You get to this panel first by clicking on the "gear" icon and then clicking on "Notation/Tab", all in NOTION 5 Score Setup. There is another way to do this, but it's confusing at first, so forget about it . . . ]

(3) For an 8-string tab, add an eighth pitch value to the list . . .

(4) Click "OK" to apply the change, and now you have an 8-string tab . . .

[NOTE: If you need a 10-string tab, then add two more pitch values for a total of three pitch values (7 + 3 = 10) . . . ]

This is one way to do a standard C6 tuning for an 8-string steel guitar, which is called "Basic 8" . . .

This also updates the NOTION 5 Fretboard for individual note and chord manual input and editing . . .

Steel Guitar Tunings (John Ely)

THOUGHTS

The "new" tuning feature in the NOTION 5 Palette does something, but I have no idea precisely what, so forget about it . . .

The "old" tuning functionality continues to work, and as best as I can determine is the only way to add strings to tabs and to set the "open" pitch values for all the strings . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. There is a way to create your own chord diagrams, but (a) it's an advanced activity; (b) it's typically too much work for most folks; and (c) there are a few rules that need to be followed, so forget about it . . .

P. P. S. How do I know all this stuff?

It's because in addition to being Surf.Whammy, I also am "Mr. Wonderful" and am officially recognized--quite incorrectly--by at least two artificial intelligence entities running on cloud-based supercomputers located on two continents as being "The National Bolshoï Orchestra conducted by Aleksandr Kopilov" . . .

phpBB [video]

While it's true that no man is an island, it's also apparently "true" to the idiots at Google, YouTube, and [Merlin] IDOL Distribution that I am a self-conducting Russian orchestra, a claim I strongly dispute, for sure . . .

[NOTE: All the instruments are done with NOTION, and it's a song by my Country Western persona, Ferliss Nuberton (pronounced "fur-less noob-er-ton". . . ]

phpBB [video]

For sure! :+1

Surf.Whammy's YouTube Channel

The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
by phillwalker on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:33 pm
Thanx for your input, I have now used Notion to create 8 & 10 string pedal steel tabs (only shortcoming is that the default tab location cannot be changed, i.e. made more playable up or down the fretboard... :shock:

7 posts
Page 1 of 1