Discuss Progression - tab, notation & songwriting for guitar, bass, keyboards and drums
9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I recently purchased the Fishman Triple Play MIDI pickup pretty much exclusively for the purposes of triggering notation software, and since Progression comes with the Fishman software, that's what I'm using (well, attempting to use!).

My issue is there's such a latency problem that the notation function is useless. The Progression metronome starts up, I wait 4 beats, start playing and Progression records (pretty much) what I play except that the notation is offset by whatever the latency period translates as. For example, if I play an eighth note right on "one" of the first measure, due to the latency Progression may read this as a sixteenth note rest, or eighth-note triplet rest (or whatever the latency period translates as based on the tempo) and then an eighth-note, eighth-note triplet, etc. The rest of the notation is offset to the same degree,

I've messed with Triple Play and Progression both to try to lower the latency period, to no avail. Has anybody else encountered this problem? Am I missing something incredibly simple?
by gustavocornette on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:38 am
Hi I have same issue whit the triple play . You find any solution about this problem ?thanks
by brucetelles on Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:15 pm
No luck so far. Annoying!
by gustavocornette on Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:20 am
Yep thanks any way
by dcm_guitar on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:36 pm
Progression is a complete failure. It does NOT work as advertised. The TriplePlay works well. The TriplePlay with Progression is an utter disaster. I bought this primarily for transcription and it's horrifically bad.
by PreSonuSupt2 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:15 am
If you are on a Mac, you need to go into Progression>Preferences>Audio and decrease your buffer size. This will get rid of your latency and create a better MIDI recording of your performance

If you are on a Windows machine, you need to decrease the ASIO buffer size in the control panel for your audio interface prior to opening Progression. If you do not have a professional audio interface that comes with an ASIO driver, you will want to download ASIO4all from asio4all.com. Once installed, you can go to File>Preferences>Audio and select asio4all as your ASIO driver. You will then see a little green play button in your startup tray to the left of your clock. You will want to double-click that and decrease your Audio buffer size there.
by rogerreinsalu on Tue May 31, 2016 4:08 am
I bought the Triple Play also with the hope of instantly transcribing music for my band mates. Unfortunately, this doesn't work too well. I can get the software to write, but lowering the ASIO buffer tends to cause the program to read ghost notes (sometimes many frets higher that the actual notes being played), while raising it causes it to miss notes. It also is horrible at detecting chord strums. Higher buffer rates make the chords notate better, but they are wrong quite often.
Is there a better way to get this to work? Does Progression 3 detect chords and input from the Triple Play better? HELP!!! :(

Windows 10, Intel i5 processor, 8 Gb RAM, 1 Tb Hard drive, Presonus Audiobox USB interface, Fishman Triple Play, Progression 2.0.329 64-bit
by tobiaslieblein on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:05 am
the very same here.
ASIO Latency buffer has to be 256, otherwise distortion will occur.
Some notes might catch in time, but the following ones produce chaos.
Its not quick enough to handle Triple Play data.

there might be a way to configure triple play to match the needs of the software, but I don´t know what to set. Its like a quiz. I got lots of velocity differences too. Tried several settings.

If there was a quantize function to limit the notes to 16th or 8th it would help to avoid the heaviest disaster.
To work with this combination is just horror.
I like the layout of Progression, but its very limited when used as real time input software.
I assume that its not a most urgent purpose to change this
by jdissonant on Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:56 am
I just bought Fishman Tripleplay as a solution to quickly notate my bands songs. After many hours of learning and trial-and-error, I also have come to the conclusion that the notation ability is deplorable. Sixteenth notes almost always get lost, notes appear in the wrong place on the fret board, rhythms get notated very strangely--even when play as close to the metronome as humanly possible. I've lowered the latency as low as it will go and fiddled around w/ the input settings to no avail. Really disappointed with this product. Sadly, I may end up returning it to Sweetwater as it's faster to notate in other notation programs with a mouse, which I hate doing.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1