15 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to Studio One and I'm trying to figure out how to get my Blue Snowball mic to work with the program. I'm running Windows 8.1 and I looked for a driver for the Snowball mic, but there are no drivers. It seems to work okay in other audio apps like Audacity.

When I launch Studio One (with the mic connected) I get the following message:
The audio device or generic USB device has failed to start correctly before. Do you want to try it again? (Yes or No)

When I click yes I get:
The audio device for generic USB device could not be initialized. Please check your hardware configuration and try again. (Retry or Cancel)

Clicking yes or retry gets me the same messages.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or what I should try?

Thanks!
by -Luis- on Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:22 pm
From Blue Microphones Support.
Windows 8 and Windows 7 Setup Procedure

Snowball is plug-and-play and does not require drivers. No, not even for Windows 8.

- Under START MENU open Control Panel, then select Hardware/Sound.
- On Hardware/Sound page click Sound, then choose Recording tab.
- Insure that the Blue mic selected as the Default input device.
- Set your volume in the Levels menu.

Snowballs manufactured after July, 2007 (with serial numbers higher than 76-065000) are Windows 8, Windows 7 and Vista compatible. Snowballs with numbers lower than this are not Windows 8, Windows 7 or Vista compatible.
by eddieblanko on Sat May 02, 2015 5:29 pm
I am experiencing the same issue and have repeated the suggested solution multiple times. I have also confirmed that the mic is set as the default recording device and the computer is able to register the audio frequency, While it does not work in Studio One free version it works fine in audacity. i checked the settings in studio one and noticed the windows audio is enabled but not the generic USB input, the windows audio identifies the blue mic as the recording device as well.
by justinmartes on Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:32 pm
Same thing happens to me It doesn't work in the artist version either but it gets recongnized by my computer and in the studio one audio settings the mic shows up it just doesn't work for some reason
by robertmichaels on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:28 am
Yep, does not work. After going back and forth with Presonus support on the issue they "claim" it's a Blue Mic problem, in other words they're not going to resolve the issue in studio one even though the mic works in every other audio program I have, Audacity, Ableton Live and even Skype.

So...you can forget getting help from either Blue Mics or Presonus.
by susannaq on Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:49 pm
Thanks for the info. Glad all I wasted was the time spent downloading the test version. I just tried to get the Blue Mic to work with Studio One and it still doesn't (using Windows10 - March 2016).
by donaldbaarns on Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:48 am
susannaq wroteThanks for the info. Glad all I wasted was the time spent downloading the test version. I just tried to get the Blue Mic to work with Studio One and it still doesn't (using Windows10 - March 2016).

Hi Susan,

I'd be curious as I've gotten that mic to work (I work with lots of VO/Narration users, and many have that mic.)

IF you still care, find me on FB and send me a message. (I'm easy to find on FB due to the funny spelling, see my autosig below.) We'll do a quick video chat so I can see your screen. I suspect we can fix it in 5 min or less after we are connected.

My first guess is it's a sampling rate miss-match. If those are off, it won't work.

Don

S1 v6.x Pro - latest version
PreSonus Studio 26, IO 24, Atom
Eris E5s
iZotope RX10 Advanced
Win 11 Pro-32GB RAM-AMD 3900x
AMD 5700XT
Windows 10 Pro-16 GB RAM
MacOS Ventura (13.4) iMac i5 w 8 GB RAM

FB group: Studio One Users-Audiobooks, VO and Podcaster focused:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/StudioOneNarrationVO/

Studio One and iZotope RX Courses for Narrators/Podcasters/VO:
https://www.VOJumpstart.com/

Studio One and iZotope RX Videos for Narrators/Podcasters/VO:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RedBaarnsAudio
by tamnx on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:02 am
I wish they had a solution for this.
Found a fix, after looking through here, and trying to fix it following the instructions, I tried a different approach.
My solution: install ASIO4ALL
use asio4all as the device in Studio One, and open control panel.
there, you can select the Snowball and use it.
by richardhunter2 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:27 am
Unfortunately im having the same issue. I use to have a silver blu mic with the switch on the back and it worked fine with no issues..now with the white blue mic.It says make sure that recording and playback sample rates for this device match.Can any one help?
by Skip Jones on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:05 pm
This applies to any USB mic plus USB interface. Only one USB device at a time can be used with Windows.I have heard of a work around using ASIO4ALL but use at your own risk.

------ > https://answers.presonus.com/14499/reco ... 499#q14499

Skip

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Windows 10 X 64 : AMD Phenom II X 4 945, ATI Radeon 5450 / 512 RAM - 8GB RAM / 1T SATA, Mac Mini (Late 2014), Faderport and Faderport 8, Yamaha S-08 Synth, Fishman TriplePlay Guitar MIDI, Logidy Controller, assorted PreSonus Gear
by emu2emu on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:44 am
Here is a little work around I am currently using...

I just record with the snowball mic in audacity and then export the file using lame into a wav file, then I upload that into studio one.... this way I still get the mic quality and the bells and whistles with studio one 3.
by thomaswehner1 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:10 am
It's 2019 and this still isn't fixed.

Glad I didn't get a paid version of this.
by Bbd on Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:29 am

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by michaelcarr7 on Sun May 31, 2020 9:33 pm
Hi y'all, I just got my Blue Snowball working. It was telling me the sample rates didn't match so in Windows 10 I:
- went to Sound Settings
- Device Properties - Additional Device Propterties
- go to the Advanced section of your Snowball and your Output device and make sure the sample rates match. I had to change them, and then it worked.

I'm still experiencing an unrelated mic feedback issue(doesnt happen when I use headphones) with my new laptop, but oh well hope this helped someone

15 posts
Page 1 of 1