68 postsPage 3 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4
BobF wrote
JohnBW wrote
Skijumptoes wrote
I'd be more tempted to check what CPU is being used, because that's what would hit a real-time application.... Don't know whether that processing is spread across cores or concentrated to a single though.

It's my impression that since BitLocker whole drive encryption "unlocks" the entire drive at boot, the data is readily accessible to the Windows file system while the system is running. The drive is "locked" again when the system is shutdown.

While it takes a good bit of time and system resources to initially encrypt the entire drive, that's a one-time thing, and it doesn't seem to add noticeably to system overhead later while up and running.

Besides, like you said, peace of mind is probably worth a few percent of CPU time. :+1

When does encryption of new/updated files take place?

Transparent on-the-fly encryption (data is automatically encrypted or decrypted as it is loaded or saved).

https://logixconsulting.com/2021/06/03/ ... ncryption/
https://www.east-tec.com/kb/safebit/pro ... tion-mean/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_encryption

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by nathanielwalker2 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:18 pm
reggie1979beatz wroteOh and another thing before I forget: DON'T FUTZ WITH IT regardless. Yes, you need to make it "high performance" with either 10 or 11 in the power scheme, but other than that, leave it alone!

All that crap we used to have to do doesn't do anything other than make a mess. I'm sure there are people that disagree, but that is my experience.

No. You should leave the Windows Power Profile set to Balanced, and I'd only change to High Performance in specific scenarios as that can interfere with Processor Core prioritization.

Ryzen Preferred Cores don't actually work when you use anything but Balanced, as it overrides this. This is documented. You basically nerf the CPU by running this power plan, because high performance threads can end up on a less optimal processor core/thread.

I wouldn't want to be running that power scheme as a default on any Intel CPU that uses P- and E-Cores, either.

In the vast majority of cases, people should keep this set to Balanced unless they are running into issues where Clock Speed Changes are introducing other problems... but CPUs are generally pretty good at managing this (plus, base clocks are already pretty high - even in laptops - that this is a rare issue to run across). It's 2023...

Many of the PC Laptops that people use to produce music or edit video on have tools like ASUS ROG utility that allow you to associate different applications with different power profiles that operate independently of the Windows Power Management Scheme. That way, when you run Studio One or DaVinci Resolve, the machine automatically switches to "Performance" or "Turbo" and when it doesn't have focus, it goes back to the Windows Balanced Profile (or Silent, if on battery) automatically. Basically, it does for power management what something like Razer Synapse or LG G Hub does for Peripheral Profiles.

That is fine. It's the OS Power Profile that should generally be set to Balanced, for aforementioned reasons.

On Windows Notebooks, setting Performance forces the machine to run at high clock speeds at all times - even when unnecessary - which creates more heat, more fan noise and uses more power in situations where none of that is necessary. On Laptops, it also destroys your battery life. You might lose like 30-40% of your battery life just from forcing the CPU to run that way - particularly for bigger laptop formfactors (15-17" machines).

If I'm just editing and cutting audio in Studio One, I literally can do that with my Laptop's "Silent" power plan and never notice the difference... except my battery won't die in < 3 hours while I'm doing it. I get significantly more longevity for no practical difference in performance (as this scenario does not require extreme power levels).
by nathanielwalker2 on Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:36 pm
gregghart wroteI also highly recommend turning of Disk Encryption on any drive you record audio to.

There is no reason to be using BitLocker or FileVault on a system drive unless you're Snowden, Assange or Hunter Biden (sic.).

Popular personalities probably can benefit from the extra layer of security on their personal computing machines, but in that case I'd have one machine that I used for communications and a separate machine that I use for producing music.

Anyone with an iPad already has that, and iOS devices are full disk encrypted for a similar, logical, reason.

The issue with full disk encryption is that it does not matter if you store so much of your data in the cloud. It's often easier (and far less risky) to get the login credentials for a Google, Dropbox, Apple or Microsoft Account than it is to gain physical access to someone's PC to steal data off of it.
by PreAl on Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:19 am
MS states bitlocker has a 1% overhead so you probably won't notice it unless your PC already has a lack of resources. The processor takes the strain.

I certainly would consider using it if taking a machine off site.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Skijumptoes on Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:45 am
nathanielwalker2 wrote
gregghart wroteI also highly recommend turning of Disk Encryption on any drive you record audio to.

There is no reason to be using BitLocker or FileVault on a system drive unless you're Snowden, Assange or Hunter Biden (sic.).

You've clearly never worked under NDA or had to fill in a security audit then. Disk encryption is the least of worries, it's just something you turn on and never need worry about it.

Even as a personal user, have a machine stolen and see how comfortable you feel knowing that the drive can be taken out and read at will. It's not a good feeling.

Win11 Desktop - Ryzen 7 / RTX 3070Ti UMC 1820 & Liquid Saffire 56 | Macbook M1 Pro 16" & Steinberg UR22C | Studio One v6
by reggie1979beatz on Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:00 am
nathanielwalker2 wrote
reggie1979beatz wroteOh and another thing before I forget: DON'T FUTZ WITH IT regardless. Yes, you need to make it "high performance" with either 10 or 11 in the power scheme, but other than that, leave it alone!

All that crap we used to have to do doesn't do anything other than make a mess. I'm sure there are people that disagree, but that is my experience.

No. You should leave the Windows Power Profile set to Balanced, and I'd only change to High Performance in specific scenarios as that can interfere with Processor Core prioritization.

Ryzen Preferred Cores don't actually work when you use anything but Balanced, as it overrides this. This is documented. You basically nerf the CPU by running this power plan, because high performance threads can end up on a less optimal processor core/thread.

I wouldn't want to be running that power scheme as a default on any Intel CPU that uses P- and E-Cores, either.

In the vast majority of cases, people should keep this set to Balanced unless they are running into issues where Clock Speed Changes are introducing other problems... but CPUs are generally pretty good at managing this (plus, base clocks are already pretty high - even in laptops - that this is a rare issue to run across). It's 2023...

Many of the PC Laptops that people use to produce music or edit video on have tools like ASUS ROG utility that allow you to associate different applications with different power profiles that operate independently of the Windows Power Management Scheme. That way, when you run Studio One or DaVinci Resolve, the machine automatically switches to "Performance" or "Turbo" and when it doesn't have focus, it goes back to the Windows Balanced Profile (or Silent, if on battery) automatically. Basically, it does for power management what something like Razer Synapse or LG G Hub does for Peripheral Profiles.

That is fine. It's the OS Power Profile that should generally be set to Balanced, for aforementioned reasons.

On Windows Notebooks, setting Performance forces the machine to run at high clock speeds at all times - even when unnecessary - which creates more heat, more fan noise and uses more power in situations where none of that is necessary. On Laptops, it also destroys your battery life. You might lose like 30-40% of your battery life just from forcing the CPU to run that way - particularly for bigger laptop formfactors (15-17" machines).

If I'm just editing and cutting audio in Studio One, I literally can do that with my Laptop's "Silent" power plan and never notice the difference... except my battery won't die in < 3 hours while I'm doing it. I get significantly more longevity for no practical difference in performance (as this scenario does not require extreme power levels).

Well, not my experience (and many others) Good lord, there are just too many people and experiences and whatnot.

Bye......:roll:
by PreAl on Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:42 am
Number one advice is to set your PC to "high performance" or even "maximum performance". On the other hand if you can get away with it (you have a high powered PC), you can set your PC to balanced (make sure no sleep features are turned on, especially for USB) then you can experiment with that. I have mine on balanced with a few tweaks and it's OK. I check it all out with the latency monitor and process explorer utilities.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Skijumptoes on Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:03 am
PreAl wroteNumber one advice is to set your PC to "high performance" or even "maximum performance".

Funny story this, but I had an MSI laptop and set it to max perf, and you could hear the fans running constantly, battery drain - basically as it was wanting to gun the CPU the whole time.

It was an i7, so I disabled turbo boost, set clock speeds to min... Got fan control app and put it on min, and it ran Studio One absolutely fine.... Battery much better, and none of the fan noise. You can still do a lot with a 6 core/12 threaded CPU running at a lowly 2.5ghz or whatever it is.

What i'm saying only applies to laptops really, but If you've got plenty of cores you don't always need to be blasting through a load of power un-necessarily as it can become counter-productive.

What really trips a real-time application up is when speeds and throttling dynamically adjust mid-work.

Got an Apple Silicon now, and you don't even have to worry about these things... But god do you pay through the nose for it!

Win11 Desktop - Ryzen 7 / RTX 3070Ti UMC 1820 & Liquid Saffire 56 | Macbook M1 Pro 16" & Steinberg UR22C | Studio One v6
by MisterE on Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:04 am
nathanielwalker2 wroteYou should leave the Windows Power Profile set to Balanced.

That would be a personal preference, not a universally held truth.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by PreAl on Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:29 pm
PreAl wroteNumber one advice is to set your PC to "high performance" or even "maximum performance".

Skijumptoes wroteFunny story this, but I had an MSI laptop and set it to max perf, and you could hear the fans running constantly, battery drain - basically as it was wanting to gun the CPU the whole time.

It was an i7, so I disabled turbo boost, set clock speeds to min... Got fan control app and put it on min, and it ran Studio One absolutely fine.... Battery much better, and none of the fan noise. You can still do a lot with a 6 core/12 threaded CPU running at a lowly 2.5ghz or whatever it is.

What i'm saying only applies to laptops really, but If you've got plenty of cores you don't always need to be blasting through a load of power un-necessarily as it can become counter-productive.

What really trips a real-time application up is when speeds and throttling dynamically adjust mid-work.

Got an Apple Silicon now, and you don't even have to worry about these things... But god do you pay through the nose for it!

Yeah disabling turbo boost tends to help a lot even on high powered desktop machines. The other thing I had to do with my Dell laptop was make sure Studio One didn't run on the first core of the processor. Latency monitor tells me that Dells HAL driver sucks on my laptop (or maybe some hardware interfacing with it, impossible to tell). I couldn't do much about it.

by Skijumptoes on Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:12 pm
PreAl wroteThe other thing I had to do with my Dell laptop was make sure Studio One didn't run on the first core of the processor. Latency monitor tells me that Dells HAL driver sucks on my laptop (or maybe some hardware interfacing with it, impossible to tell). I couldn't do much about it.

Didn't know you could do that, is that using a tool? As i'm sure I read something online just before Christmas about a tool that allows you to prime/balance the CPU for real-time apps.

Completely forgot what it was called though. :)

Edit: Ah, just found it. Was called process lasso - mentioned here:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 4#p8538154
Last edited by Skijumptoes on Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by reggie1979beatz on Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:12 pm
MisterE wrote
nathanielwalker2 wroteYou should leave the Windows Power Profile set to Balanced.

That would be a personal preference, not a universally held truth.

I was taken aback by it to. And the other comment about "known issue" for AMD chips has got me thinking twice about putting that together now. Not sure if the source is correct yet......

by PreAl on Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:18 pm
PreAl wrote

Skijumptoes wroteFunny story this, but I had an MSI laptop and set it to max perf, and you could hear the fans running constantly, battery drain - basically as it was wanting to gun the CPU the whole time.

Yeah disabling turbo boost tends to help a lot even on high powered desktop machines. The other thing I had to do with my Dell laptop was make sure Studio One didn't run on the first core of the processor. Latency monitor tells me that Dells HAL driver sucks on my laptop (or maybe some hardware interfacing with it, impossible to tell). I couldn't do much about it.

Via windows command line parameter. You can do it temporarily via process explorer I think (don't quote me).

by MisterE on Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:06 pm
reggie1979beatz wroteAnd the other comment about "known issue" for AMD chips has got me thinking twice about putting that together now. Not sure if the source is correct yet......

That "known issue" is also the normal course of events, as in something changes with Windows -- like Win11 being released -- and chipset specifiers like AMD in conjunction with motherboard manufacturers figure out how to accomodate the changes to insure that CPUs and motherboards run smoothly. That's usually accomplished through updating a motherboard's BIOS.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by reggie1979beatz on Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:09 pm
Ok, but it did make me nervous.

As I've said in other threads, I'm SHOCKED by how much better this thing is running since the "clean" install. It's crazy, because even with the "make too much interference" issue, it's WAY better. Maybe save some coin? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Still not quite right, but closer.

by reggie1979beatz on Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:11 pm
And with the 1700 USD "paperweight" thing, well, hopefully it will get sorted. I think I'm moving in the right direction for the change though.......

There is always captain "standby" after nearly a decade, with win 10. Worst case scenario and all that......

by PreAl on Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:56 pm
MisterE wroteThat "known issue" is also the normal course of events, as in something changes with Windows -- like Win11 being released -- and chipset specifiers like AMD in conjunction with motherboard manufacturers figure out how to accomodate the changes to insure that CPUs and motherboards run smoothly. That's usually accomplished through updating a motherboard's BIOS.

It's not the normal having to upgrade your bios before an OS upgrade.

by Skijumptoes on Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:55 am
reggie1979beatz wroteAs I've said in other threads, I'm SHOCKED by how much better this thing is running since the "clean" install.

Yeah you can get a lot of background processes that accrue over time, plus after o/s snd software updates there's always remnants and bloat that gets left over.

I swapped out a motherboard and new PSU about 16 years back... Same CPU, GPU, RAM, Drive etc. and that was a shocking change in how slick my machine ran afterwards.

People focus on the CPU too much. There's much around that.

by PreAl on Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:01 am
I have a desktop multi boot system that runs Hackintosh Catalina, Linux and 3 Windows installations. One is dedicated to recording only. I've probably spent a month optimizing the heck out of it over the years, and it's as slimline as possible. The other OS's not so much. Laptop is identical with one less Windows installation.

by Skijumptoes on Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:21 am
PreAl wroteI've probably spent a month optimizing the heck out of it over the years, and it's as slimline as possible.

I used to do the same, but I don't really see a huge difference between a completely stripped O/S and a regular one nowadays - I guess so much is smarter nowadays and designed to use idle process time, or CPUs are just so much more powerful.

Plus it's really annoying if you go to run a third party tool/utility and it doesn't work as dependencies fail so you go on an hour long crusade of downloading runtimes and add/remove features on windows to get it working.

Just give me vanilla, I feel safer tucked away in the majority userbase, so that's where I aim.... :)
Last edited by Skijumptoes on Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

68 postsPage 3 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4